Death Shroud

Nyghtmaire

Does anyone select Death Shroud for Dark Armor? If so, how do you slot it? I have one free power pick in a Dark/Dark/Soul prospective build with basically everything already covered. My recollection was that Death Shroud was routinely skipped, but my memory is hazy. If I took it, I would likely throw an OWF proc in there for some random soft control.

As always, many thanks.

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

I always take it.  I usually 5 or 6-slot it with a set and a proc.  Avalanche Winter set is good in it as well for that KD proc and it also has better set bonuses than OWF, imo.  

However you slot it, make sure there is some accuracy (obviously) and plenty of endredux in the set or with IOs/SOs as it can be hefty endurance-wise when added onto other toggles.  (Another reason I like Avalanche as you get 81.5% enredux with the set.)

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Thanks - and I go the Avalanche slotting  on my Brute. I wouldn’t slot the multiple OWF items, just the proc. I’ll okay with the build and see if I can find some extra slots.

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

Since you don't need to slot recharge, the most efficient is 3-slotting Scirocco's Dervish or Avalanche (acc/dmg, acc/dmg/end, dmg/end). Adding the proc will give you an accuracy (Scirocco's) or recovery (Avalanche) bonus, but procs in toggles only have a chance to go off every 10 seconds.

• Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

• 1 month later
19 hours ago, ClawsandEffect said:

Who skips Death Shroud? 

If I'm skipping anything in DA it's Cloak of Fear and/or Oppressive Gloom. 

I skip it on my scrappers until higher lvls when I have the end management under control. But yeah the control auras are usually first on the chopping block for me as well. 

Edited by Rokkeb

2 hours ago, SomeGuy said:

It's PBAOE DMG. It's end/s for the amount of DPS it gives is stupidly good. Of course you take it.

I love Dark Armor so much (have a DA/Staff Tanker) I just wish it wasn't so end heavy 😭 Concept wise, I always think it is sweet on a Scrapper, if not optimal.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 5:34 PM, StriderIV said:

I love Dark Armor so much (have a DA/Staff Tanker) I just wish it wasn't so end heavy 😭 Concept wise, I always think it is sweet on a Scrapper, if not optimal.

My BS/DA scrapper from live disputes your not optimal assertion. 

He was stupid good. 

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

Love to hear it!

In fact, I was one of the pioneers of Sword/Dark scrapper builds. If you browse the archived original forums you'll find a number of threads in which @Werner and myself discussed them at length. 

My build was only a little bit worse than his crazy Katana/Dark, but was orders of magnitude cheaper. I built him in response to someone telling me Dark Armor was the worst set in the game. I proved them wrong 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Appreciate everything in this thread. My misunderstanding came from the live forums (to which I plead ignorance of game mechanics during that time period). Left with the erroneous impression @ClawsandEffect (p.s. always liked Live Forums avatar) describes above- Dark being the worst set in the game. Clearly missed the more in-depth discussion there and internalized the wrong take-away (DS to end heavy to run with armors, too much unwanted aggro …). Thanks again. 

To be fair, the addition of the Theft of Essence Chance for End proc was probably the single biggest immediate game changer that happened to any set. 

Dark Regeneration had a base end cost of a full third of your end bar, which is brutal on a set that is already an endurance hog. The ToE proc on average would proc on 2 enemies if you were in a full mob, which lowered it's end cost to around what Reconstruction or Healing Flames was at. 

I struggled with my build before that IO existed. It wasn't until afterward that I was able to make it awesome. 

And I have to give credit where it's due. I wasn't some uber-build genius when I started out. @Bill Z Bubba and @Werner , among others, taught me a LOT. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 3/19/2023 at 9:30 AM, Gobbledygook said:

Adding BS/DA to growing list of projects...

It's really fun. 

In the Before Times my build softapped ranged and AoE defense just standing there and softcapped melee with one hit from Parry. And I did it using mostly sets like Makos Bite, Scirocco's Dervish, Aegis, etc. 

Resistances were decent. S/L/N/P were all at least 60%. 

I rebuilt the same combo as a tank. Those same 4 resistances will be hardcapped at 90 and F/C will be around 75-80%. Even Energy, which is DA's hole, will be around 60%. 

It's fun on any AT. 

• Thumbs Up 1