New Sky Raider bosses

This is a bit of an odd request, but after playing a Silver Mantis today, I was kind of reminded of how it feels a little underwhelming the only options Sky Raiders have for boss spawns are two flavors of Robots (jump and porter) which either have SMGs or a flamethrower, and a personal VTOL craft which, while cool, seems like it shouldn't be able to get indoors (given the smaller longbow chasers are restricted to purely outdoor spawns). So I was thinking maybe the team could consider adding in a new type of Sky Raider boss that's dude on foot? So, here's my pitch on specifics:

Sky Raider Ace:

Aces are the pride of the Sky Raiders and are hotshot fliers without peer in their ranks. While lacking the rank of officers their skills alone have earned them great respect of superior and subordinates alike, and with it the trust to have some leeway in how they carry out their own operations.

Powers

Ace Flying - (This basically rolling Fly/Afterburner with Hover in mechanical terms. So they'd fly faster than normal mobs even)

Inspire - PBAoE, toggle, Team +ToHit, +Perception, +Damage (Would have just used leadership but I feel like with engineers, Sky raiders have enough defense buffs)

Pulse Rifle Blast

Pulse Rifle Burst - (right outta robotics)

Full Auto Laser - (this would need to be adjusted from the robotics drone animation to work with a pulse rifle)

LRM Rocket - (Probably a version without interrupt, and would probably need a weapon that could believably shoot lasers and have an underslung rocket, otherwise not too different from the blaster munitions mastery pool)

Appearance wise, could take a normal Sky Raider officer and apply a unique color palette and some costume patterns similar to Castillo to denote being 'ace customized' looks. I also went with the robotics pulse rifle since we see them pick those up in market Crash but also felt it'd be a bit of a copout for this guy to be using more automatic firearms or a flamethrower.

So what do you guys think? Do you want to see a sky raiders boss that is a more normal dude than a dude in a jet or robot? Do you think the current boss selection is fine? If the former, what would be your suggestions for a boss if not this?

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 3

@biostem

an earlier idea I had actually would have involved at least power armor components, namely the PPD shells so the could have integrated mini-guns on their arms to fit the “jet fighter dude” look. Though I opted for something that should hopefully be more easily feasible for the devs to make. A power armor overall could be cool but I feel like a fitting power armor might require some decent asset tweaks. (Or maybe I’m just too set on. “Jet power armor “ looking like a starscream suit)

@Turric

thanks, I thought an ace pilot would make a decent boss seeing as officers and captains are already Lieutenant rank enemies. Let this be a subversion of the trope “asskicking equals authority”, as Duray was a proper military man. Officers and captains lead because they’re good leaders and smart planners, aces are good as asskickers but their radical maverick stylings keep them in non-commissioned ranks.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

I vote for Captain Castillo clones using stolen Prae Durray tech.

Who doesn't want more Castillo??

That feels like a recipe for the Gary Vault from FO3 happening in City. Which could be a funny mission arc in of itself, honestly.

1. Castillo thinks it'd be a great idea to use the Praetorian clone tech on him!
  2. Duray says that's a horrible idea and Castillo pisses him off anyway
  3. Castillo ignores Duray, takes the tech, and there's now a Skyraider sea base filled with Castillos.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sakura Tenshi said:

Castillo ignores Duray, takes the tech, and there's now a Skyraider sea base filled with Castillos.

And when you enter the final boss room, you hear a dozen Castillos shouting at once, "And now for my dramatic entrance!"

Then the entire room explodes in fire, consoles erupting, the ceiling starts to crash down, and you can hear the supports for the entire sea base groaning as it starts to collapse.

One random Castillo, "Too much, maybe?"

• Haha 1

Y'know what would be a funny boss - a seemingly regular Skyraider engineer, who summons an "Assault Force Field Generator", which is a boss-tier enemy, possessing some powerful beam attacks, (maybe use an IDF Battle Orb model or something similar).

• Like 3

How about an underling with the Untouchable trait that morphs into the new boss? He can summon power armor that auto-attaches a la Iron Man or summon (via a portal) something like an Improved Sky Skiff that he jumps into and fights you with. (Edit: He loses the Untouchable trait upon morphing.)

Edited by Rudra

3 minutes ago, Rudra said:

How about an underling with the Untouchable trait that morphs into the new boss? He can summon power armor that auto-attaches a la Iron Man or summon (via a portal) something like an Improved Sky Skiff that he jumps into and fights you with. (Edit: He loses the Untouchable trait upon morphing.)

I could see this - since Skyraiders have teleportation tech, a regular soldier would call for assistance/aid, (low chance), and you see the teleportation effect, which replaces their model with the upgraded, boss-tier power armor unit...

6 hours ago, biostem said:

Y'know what would be a funny boss - a seemingly regular Skyraider engineer, who summons an "Assault Force Field Generator", which is a boss-tier enemy, possessing some powerful beam attacks, (maybe use an IDF Battle Orb model or something similar).

Or an Autodoc based on the new Robotics repair drone.

• Haha 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

On 1/20/2023 at 12:50 AM, twozerofoxtrot said:

I vote for Captain Castillo clones using stolen Prae Durray tech.

Who doesn't want more Castillo??

This is one of these posts where you need the option to reply with both thumbs up and thumbs down.

• Haha 3