2022/23 Winter Packs Discount

Bananiac

Just wondering, aren't the Winter Packs supposed to go down in price for the winter time events?

Been watching for the price drop, but every time I checked they were still going for 25M...

Am I too early? Have I missed something?

• Sad 1

That incident involving a nuclear accelerator and a banana… You know… I REALLY don't wanna talk about it!

8 hours ago, Bananiac said:

Just wondering, aren't the Winter Packs supposed to go down in price for the winter time events?

Been watching for the price drop, but every time I checked they were still going for 25M...

Am I too early? Have I missed something?

It was announced in 2021 that it wasn't likely to return. If I remember correctly, it was a bit too much work on the back end for the team to keep doing.

Here is a screengrab from back in 2021 from the announcement on the Homecoming Discord:

D8F07449-E5DA-42AC-9A3F-FAB9C2841C2D.jpeg

And two related threads regarding said changes if you are interested in the discussion:

Pricing of Winter and Hero Packs

Where's my Super Pack: Lords of Winter Sale?

Edited by Glacier Peak

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

IIRC, there was also the issue of people buying lost of them when they were cheap, then posting them for sale at just below the 25 mill price, and making therefore several mill per sale with precious little effort.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

8 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

IIRC, there was also the issue of people buying lost of them when they were cheap, then posting them for sale at just below the 25 mill price, and making therefore several mill per sale with precious little effort.

Now, why would anyone do that? 🤑

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/26/2023 at 7:37 AM, Clave Dark 5 said:

Definitely didn't do that when they were for sale couple of years ago 👀.

Couldn't be bothered to open them, just purchased 1200 (kept 200 for personal use) and relisted 1000 at 22.5M each. All sold at 25M within 3 months, came out with 25B at the end.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@Black Assassin - Torchbearer

I suspect that an unanticipated problem was overuse.  Given that hero/winter packs were primarily pay-for, I don't think the programming of the system was geared up for massive usage.  So when SCORE and HC decided to make the goodies available to everyone, it may have overloaded the system?  This is conjecture on my part, but opening packs and claiming items from Character Items went from easy and cheerful to broken.  I think that the current workaround is some sort of timer on claims, but that's enough to keep me from opening a hundred packs in a session.

Then again, I'm not delving into the code, so what do I know?!?

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

19 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I suspect that an unanticipated problem was overuse.  Given that hero/winter packs were primarily pay-for, I don't think the programming of the system was geared up for massive usage.  So when SCORE and HC decided to make the goodies available to everyone, it may have overloaded the system?  This is conjecture on my part, but opening packs and claiming items from Character Items went from easy and cheerful to broken.  I think that the current workaround is some sort of timer on claims, but that's enough to keep me from opening a hundred packs in a session.

Then again, I'm not delving into the code, so what do I know?!?

Probably wasn't helped by the discovery/creation of the winter pack opening macroes either. Poor servers having to deal with a bunch of us spam opening hundreds of packs in seconds.

image.thumb.png.272e246aa39597e6c9293f95736c964b.png

👆 the servers, probably.

• Haha 2

@Black Assassin - Torchbearer

On 2/28/2023 at 6:28 AM, Black_Assassin said:

Probably wasn't helped by the discovery/creation of the winter pack opening macroes either. Poor servers having to deal with a bunch of us spam opening hundreds of packs in seconds.

I am so very, very guilty of this. I had things highly automated and would just buy, open, take from email, post to AH, rinse and repeat. Extremely profitable. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later