Suggestions for the best COR // DOM // DEF // CONT to use for SOLO play?

Ted

Not being a huge fan of melee (I do have a couple of them, but my love is controller/defender-type heroes).

I'm wondering what ATs would be good (Corruptor, Dominator, Defender, Controller)

and what powersets would be good to be able to solo missions and other things in the game?

Thanks for any tips! :)

I am very partial to an Ice Blast + Dark Miasma. With Ice Blast you can hold bosses quite easily and Dark Miasma is just a swiss army knife of support... heals, buffs, debuffs, and at T9 you get Fluffy 👻 to keep you company.

Take Fire Epic to have decent resist against every type of damage...

Take Sorcerer Pool for Rune of Protection to get out of the occasional mezz or oh-sh**-situation.

Tar Patch + 2* Ice Rains = dead piles of mobs

Use Howling Twilight as a crazy good AoE stun (ignore the rezz part... we don't care for solo).

Ice/Dark Corruptor is a Blaster+Controller rolled into 1.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Ted said:

Not being a huge fan of melee (I do have a couple of them, but my love is controller/defender-type heroes).

I'm wondering what ATs would be good (Corruptor, Dominator, Defender, Controller)

and what powersets would be good to be able to solo missions and other things in the game?

Thanks for any tips! 🙂

Perhaps these 4 builds are something that would work out for you.

Cons: Cost of the build, All them do require you to do the Redside Patron Arc at 35+(Or join a Patron Arc team that is doing Badge Mish). With Traps Defender, you need to pay attention and make sure to keep your FFG always up.

Pros: All Soft Capped in areas you need them to be. high recharge values that can be increased via Incarnates(Though I always preferred Cardiac). All can solo and have a lot options if you decide to team(Perhaps TF/SF, Trials, etc...)

Corruptor - Dark Blast - Force Field.mxdDefender - Traps - Sonic Attack.mxd

Dominator - Plant Control - Energy Assault.mxdController - Ice Control - Darkness Affinity.mxd

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Grav/Storm/Stone.  Starts off a little sluggish, but you won't remember that when you're Wormholing mobs across the map into a kill zone populated with multiple Lightning Storms and whatever Tornadoes you've wrought.   

If you take Thunderclap and Fissure you've got a 1-2-3 in Wormhole/TC/Fissure that will stun just about anything you'll run into in short order, then you just Gale/Hurricane everything into a corner and wait for Lightning Storm to recharge while your pseudopets grind everything into mush. 

Ill/Traps is another interesting drive, especially if you can keep your 'stealth' up to set up Traps while your Phantom Army distracts the nerds.  I hesitate to call this one out for soloing though, because it's a bit tedious until you get Trip Mine and perma-PA.  Once you have those, Ill/Traps is basically foolproof.  

• Like 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

My favourite builds so far and the best balance of fun & power/speed as far as progression goes:

- Ill/Dark Troller - safest solo experience, along with the next build

- Necro/Dark MM (I know you didn't ask for MMs, but with the recent rework this one just blasts through content! ;)

- Fortunata with mostly ranged & fly/hover

- PB/WS (I find Kheldians crazy fun solo, even if they are supposed to be more suited to group play, eh)

- Corr Psychic/Time (can't over-state the greatness of a sniper power at level 2! ;)

- Dom Plant/Thorns

- Gravity/ (Kin or Time) troller

- Dom Mind/Psionic (theme build, but very effective)

- Corr Dark/Storm (quite deadly at range)

I also found my Shield/Psionic tanker very safe and effective, if a little lacking in aoe of course. And I don't like melee classes much either.

Several stalkers were also fun to solo.

Edited by Nostromo21
  • Like 1

Game over man, game over!

On 4/23/2023 at 3:25 AM, Nostromo21 said:

Corr Psychic/Time (can't over-state the greatness of a sniper power at level 2! 😉

Now is the time to level before the next issue (and power reordering). 

On 4/23/2023 at 3:25 AM, Nostromo21 said:

Necro/Dark MM (I know you didn't ask for MMs, but with the recent rework this one just blasts through content! 😉

Shockingly true and *always* a great choice. A re-worked classic the changes of which brought the pairing into the modern game.

So @Ted, what did you settle on?

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

• 4 weeks later

For me with soloing on a squishy the first consideration is mez and how I'll deal with it.  Nothing sucks the fun out of the game for me like helplessly watching my avatar get defeated with no recourse.  For Corruptor/Defender builds Rune of Protection is an option, but it locks out a power pool pick and requires me to take a number of prerequisites, which makes it an incredibly heavy tax to pay just to deal with mez.  Still it is an option.

Other than that there are the sets that help to cope with it.  Force Field and Sonic Resonance offer nearly complete mez protection that means you can just ignore it as a consideration outside of rare mez stacking situations, so those are great.  Pair with Dark Blast for a heal and you can build quite a sturdy toon.  These pairings would probably be among my favorite builds if Dark Blast weren't so unfortunate in the AoE department (really not a fan of Night Fall).

Radiation Emission is also good here.  Tohit debuffs can help make the mez attacks miss, but even when that doesn't work the large mez resistance you get from Accelerate Metabolism means the mez will wear off more quickly so you can be back in the fight quickly enough to have a chance usually.

Dark Miasma deserves an honorable mention because it also offers large -tohit, but without mez resistance you can still suffer from cascade failure, where you get chain mezzed.  Especially after the unfortunate changes to toggles that has them suppress for a considerable length of time after being mezzed, there's no way to get your protection back up in time for the next round coming your way.  The long cast times of most of  the Dark Miasma powers really work against it here.  The one thing that can save you here is the Dark Servant.  It's a great distraction and sometimes you'll get lucky and it will heal you while you're incapacitated.

Other than that Dominators can be great too.  Domination is a built-in mez protection (among other things) so you can plan to have that available when you need it even pre-perma-dom.  Energy Assault would probably be my premier pick for soloing on a Dom.  Dom's get the best version of Power Push and this power is so great while leveling up.  It means you don't need Domination most of the time to keep yourself safe.

Also if you don't mind keeping half of your inspiration tray filled with Break-Frees and restocking it between missions as needed you can just take whatever you want and make it work in that department.

18 hours ago, carroto said:

Also if you don't mind keeping half of your inspiration tray filled with Break-Frees and restocking it between missions as needed you can just take whatever you want and make it work in that department.

No shame in that game. And keep some in email - just in case. At this point, why not always be eating candies. The more you eat, the more you get from defeats. Keep the boosts coming!

• Thumbs Up 1

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

• 2 weeks later