survival challenge

First let me say this is not an original idea and if I knew who I saw this from whenever I saw it (I think it was back on live) I would love to give them full credit.

Now to the idea.  It would be a lot of fun to have a mode with endless waves of enemies that get progressively more difficult until ultimately everyone on the team is defeated (think NaziZombies).  

Possibilities:

-Randomize enemy factions

-start it in the arena (AE is already crowded, but might be more logical)

-no xp? Seems like it would be too farmable... not sure

-scoreboard (see what team got the furthest) 

-Limited inspirations (3 per player??)

-Inspirations dont drop after a certain stage

-PToD start showing up in later stages

-Badges

Like it, shoot holes in it and/or add your own ideas

Edited by 0th Power

PvE with leaderboards would be a nice addition in my opinion.  Your suggestion is pretty much running the guantlet.

Consider it PvE-vP.  Modes where we fight against mobs but have our performance ranked against other players.  Maybe some sort of prizes awarded based off performance isntead of xp/inf for kills.

I think devs said something about this a while ago (around 4 years?)

Pathing could stress the servers or something if enemies are following you (basically ambush farm).

Not sure way around that outside of making rooms respawnable when you are not looking... but it could be immersion breaking.

It could grant rewards based upon completion of each wave, instead of per enemy.  I would also make it so the next wave only begins after defeat of the prior one, instead of some timer, to prevent someone from simply using phase powers or such to avoid the enemies to lengthen their time.  Would you need to disable rez powers, or allow players to use everything that their disposal?

Edited by biostem

8 minutes ago, biostem said:

It could grant rewards based upon completion of each wave, instead of per enemy.  I would also make it so the next wave only begins after defeat of the prior one, instead of some timer, to prevent someone from simply using phase powers or such to avoid the enemies to lengthen their time.  Would you need to disable rez powers, or allow players to use everything that their disposal?

I would think everything from power sets, but for sure limit the temp powers

• Thumbs Up 1

The game I played the most during the time between the live server shutdown and the Homecoming startup was Warframe, and that game was (and is) great in a lot of ways. I'd suggest taking a page or two from Warframe's book for some endless waves type missions. They have two mission types that would fit particularly well in CoH with limited modifications to the mechanics:

1. Defense missions are about protecting an object from waves of spawns that are pathing directly to it. Enemies can attack players or the object, and if the object is destroyed, the mission fails. This one would probably work as-is with very little alteration, but would work on limited arena style maps that would need to be purpose-built for it, like the Terra Volta reactor.
  2. Survival missions involve picking up life support devices, which spawn at random locations on a map or from defeating enemies. This kind of design keeps players from picking a tasty chokepoint and camping there until the end of the universe. Survival maps in Warframe are the "normal" map types and are much more similar to normal CoH map types as well, with relatively linear paths that may branch at points. For CoH, though, the "life support" justification of the system wouldn't make as much sense, but the mechanics are solid - a bar slowly ticks down, and defeating specific enemy spawns or clicking on randomly spawning glowies partially refills the bar.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fade said:
  1. Survival missions involve picking up life support devices, which spawn at random locations on a map or from defeating enemies. This kind of design keeps players from picking a tasty chokepoint and camping there until the end of the universe. Survival maps in Warframe are the "normal" map types and are much more similar to normal CoH map types as well, with relatively linear paths that may branch at points. For CoH, though, the "life support" justification of the system wouldn't make as much sense, but the mechanics are solid - a bar slowly ticks down, and defeating specific enemy spawns or clicking on randomly spawning glowies partially refills the bar.

Life support works just fine. Look at the Terra Volta respec trials. Most players make routine forays out of the reactor room to get the shield, otherwise their health keeps ticking away just for being in the room. Conversely, it could work like that arc I can't remember the name of. The one where you have the two missions to click the glowies, which can only be used once, to heal your NPC ally in their fight while you run around doing your part of the mission. For example, one has you running around destroying the new, improved Vampyri chambers, but you also have to click glowing canisters to heal... Riptide(?) in his fight against the Big Bad until you can get there and take over. Well, make it so that the players can't reach their NPC ally so they have to keep hitting the NPC ally's life support glowies and fend off the waves of enemies trying to reach him/her. For instance, a field hospital where the NPC is being treated, has lost its primary (only) generator, and the players are stuck running around restoring/providing power to the field hospital's improvised trauma center tent, while still fending off waves of enemies. Just a thought.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1