Altaholics Anonymous

I forget if this was an SG or a thread, but here's a thread. :p

I'll have to go recheck my OG list, but I'm pretty sure I filled up both of my accounts with alts by Sunset. Where's the rest of my fellow Altaholics?

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Before the game had its throat slit, I'd only managed to get one Level 50. Even after all these years, I know Kings Row like the back of my hand.

Since logging in again yesterday, I have five characters thus far and have forced myself to back out of the character creation screen twice over. Incidentally, I've not recreated my Level 50 so far.

Started around launch.  Only 2 characters past 20, 1 Hero and 1 Villain, and only the Hero went past 30, never got to 40 (I think, may have reached it before shut down).  Several past 10.  Quite literally hundreds of characters who were created, tested, remade, and/or destroyed before reaching any definable level.

I have reached max level with a character in Dark Age of Camelot (admittedly, only one).  I only reached max characters with SWtOR because I focused on story, and then the bonuses rolled out making it easier to get through some of the less desirable classes (there's a game that rewards altholism, literally).    I have a good collection of characters above 109 on World of Warcraft (thank you Invasion events, LFD, and loosing a job).  Yet, I have spent as much time on CoX as any of those (short of WoW), but I never got as far.  Creating characters is just too dang fun!

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

I was, and still am, a terrible altaholic. At the time of shutdown, I had so many characters (186) across two accounts and lots of different servers that I kept a spreadsheet, so if somebody was starting a group I could quickly alt-tab to see if I had an appropriate character to join with.

I'm trying to keep it a little more restrained so far but...  my latest count across Torchbearer and Excelsior is 3 masterminds, 5 blasters, 4 defenders, 1 sentinel, 4 corruptors, 1 tank, 2 brutes, 4 scrappers, 1 stalker, 5 controllers and 3 dominators.

I definitely have a problem.

I didn't join CoH until late April, maybe May or June of 2004. I didn't fill ALL my slots, but had heroes all over Paragon City. Looking at my old screenshots folders, I see listed:

- Liberty (my main server with the SuperGroup (THE Legion) I was in)

- Champion

- Freedom

- Triumph

- Virtue

I had quite a few I tried out and deleted, but had at least 5 heroes per server with Liberty being full up :)

PS: I forgot my "family" (The Provolones) I had on the Guardian server!

- Al

You are a Hero!

I played every Archetype Villain-side and a Scrapper before the game was shuttered.  A small selection of my toons can be seen in the link in my signature.

In 2019, I have the same character/build on every new shard, just because I'm jump on a new shard as it opens. Once I get a chance to play this week, I'll create on the new Unofficial RP shard again, for the last time.  I also have a Rad/Rad Brute on Torchbearer.  Really focused on Mind/Psi right now because that's all I've dreamed about for six years.

I had at least one level 50 for each AT.

Pretty much had to try every new power set that came out. Though most of them didn't get far and many got deleted in order to make room.

Now I'm trying to pick which characters to recreate, and I'm eyeballing the Sentinel AT. Plus there's a lot of new Blaster secondaries I might try.

See, before Freedom, I could never hope to afford the subscription fee, so I had so many alts over the years through various free trials. Then, when Freedom did come out, I had a lot going on in my life and didn't get to play much. Yet I still had a million alts.

Even now I'm creating a bunch, and not just because I moved from Excelsior to Everlasting for the roleplaying. I just have too many ideas for characters.

I know Kings Row like the back of my hand.

That's extremely relatable.

I had a WEIRD offshoot of Altoholism called "Mainitis". I would basically play the SAME PhiloticKnight character with the SAME powers over and over again from 1-50, then make him on another server, again. Then, when all the servers were full, I'd trash the oldest one and start again. I was told that I was insane, and was wasting my time. I told people that that's just how I liked to play.

It wasn't until years later after I was diagnosed that I recognized it as a sign of my autism. Weird.

I'm out.

I have the variant called "Costume-itis".  I only got to play one character on Virtue before it shut down, and I got her to 50, but after everything closed and Titan Icon became viable, I went to town creating all the costumes I wanted for her, not limited by F2P parts restrictions or costume slots.  And now I'm back in the city, and I've got all those costume files saved...