Light Sets?

• energy blast / melee / aura
  • radiation blast / melee / armor
  • luminous blast / aura
  • illusion control
  • psychic blast / psionic melee

These sets are pretty contrasting to the dark sets for now IMO. Especially if you color them with bright colors. 

I don’t think it’s a stretch to ask for a new light set though since the assets already exist in the game. I know Carnival of Light have some powers that will probably fit what you’re interested in:

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=carnivaloflight.brilliance.brilliance&at=minion_pets

Just gotta cross fingers that the devs would be willing to repurpose them into a new set!

Edited by Ston

All dark power sets in the game are negative energy sets. All energy and electric sets in the game are energy sets. We already have counters to the dark sets. And you can also just use the bright palette  on a power set and call it light as @Parabola said. Or you can make a Peacebringer since their attacks look like light blasts like @JasperStone said.

If you want a Light Blast or other power set though? Then what are you looking at the set having?

Edit (to provide example): @srmalloy provided an example below, but I couldn't remember my example character until now. I have a "light blast" Corruptor that uses Radiation Blast colored white. It looks like the character is projecting balls (or streams depending on the attack) of light at the target. So try playing around with the colors. You may surprise yourself.

Edited by Rudra

56 minutes ago, Rudra said:

And you can also just use the bright palette  on a power set and call it light as @Parabola said.

Most of the non-weapon powersets can be recolored and roleplayed as a different type of attack -- I have a Dark/Plant Blaster, Toksichniy  Podlesok (Токсичный Подлесок, 'Txic Undergrowth') where I took the Dark attacks and colored them a shadowed green to represent various biological toxins, with the Dark debuff being the lingering effects of the toxins. A little imagination can take you a long way, particularly with all the customization options the game gives you.

And sometimes it's possible to do it with weapon sets, too; I have a Kat/Rad Brute, Hoshasen-Ken (放射線 剣, 'Radiation Blade') where I gave the character the Fire and Ice Sword colored to match the Čerenkov radiation color of her armor powers, handwaving it as a manifestation of her radiation-based abilities.

5 hours ago, Spankea said:

Any possibility of ever making a light set to counter the dark sets?

Do not take the names of the powersets too literally - feel free to roleplay or otherwise come up with your own explanations for how the powers work or what their source/origin is.  That being said, the various "energy" sets are the in-game opposite to dark powers.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 5/31/2023 at 3:10 PM, biostem said:

Do not take the names of the powersets too literally - feel free to roleplay or otherwise come up with your own explanations for how the powers work or what their source/origin is.  That being said, the various "energy" sets are the in-game opposite to dark powers.

That's a pretty dismissive answer.  Almost every change that's added to the game could have been solved by telling the players to ignore what's presented and just pretend its something else.  Power customization?  Just pretend your powers are different colors.  Weapon customization?  Just pretend you're using a different weapon.  Alternate animations?  Just pretend your character is doing something different, or come up with a your own explanation for why your character moves a certain way.  New enemies?  Nah, just keep fighting the same recycled content and pretend they're something new.  New powersets?  Just pretend the old ones are something different.

Why expend ANY effort on adding anything new when you could just put it responsibility on the player to make the effort to pretend stuff is different?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

11 minutes ago, Player2 said:

That's a pretty dismissive answer.  Almost every change that's added to the game could have been solved by telling the players to ignore what's presented and just pretend its something else.  Power customization?  Just pretend your powers are different colors.  Weapon customization?  Just pretend you're using a different weapon.  Alternate animations?  Just pretend your character is doing something different, or come up with a your own explanation for why your character moves a certain way.  New enemies?  Nah, just keep fighting the same recycled content and pretend they're something new.  New powersets?  Just pretend the old ones are something different.

Why expend ANY effort on adding anything new when you could just put it responsibility on the player to make the effort to pretend stuff is different?

@biostem does have a point though. If the devs feel like making a new set and calling it Light Blast, Light Melee, or Light Whatever, that is their choice. Pointing out that we do already have sets that with just a player re-color in the customization window makes them look like and function like light attacks is not dismissive. This is an imagination-based game after all. If we can imagine it, odds are we can make it.

Radiation is a very good example. It has the energy damage that is both expected from light-based attacks and is the in-game exact opposite of dark sets with their negative energy damage, it has what I consider to be suitable animations, it has the -DEF one would expect light attacks to grant, and it has the bright color palette so you can make it look like streams or balls of light being launched at your enemies.

Too often some players get hung up on the names of powers and sets instead of looking at the mechanics and seeing if they work for what they want the power or set to do. Also, saying to just pretend your powers are different colors or your weapons are a different weapon is not the same thing as saying 'take a look at the existing power sets and their available customization options to see if they do what you want'. If my character wields green fire but I can't customize my fire attacks to be green? Then it isn't green, no amount of pretending will change that. Time to ask for some new customization options. If my character wields solar flames that burn white hot and we have the Fire Blast set and I can color my attacks white, then I've just made a solar flames character. @biostem only said that we can already make characters that look like and function like they are wielding light, which is not the same thing as 'just pretend your falcata is actually a kris'.

Again, if the devs decide to make a Light Blast or Light Melee set, that is up to them. However, we can already make characters that wield light.

8 minutes ago, honoroit said:

legacy chain mobs have across them a little ppwerset for light.

but you wont have seen them much, because youre all blueside waistrels.

The Legacy Chain Lambent of Light, Lucent of Light,  and Radiant of Light are basically using Energy Blast attacks.

https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Legacy_Chain

Edit: Correction: they are built as Energy Blast/Energy Manipulation Blasters. With some of their powers renamed and others not renamed.

Edited by Rudra
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Radiation is a very good example

1 minute ago, Rudra said:

The Legacy Chain Lambent of Light, Lucent of Light,  and Radiant of Light are basically using Energy Blast attacks.

Peacebringer Luminous Blast powers are basically an amalgam of radiation and energy blast powers, recolored...

2 hours ago, Rudra said:

@biostem does have a point though. If the devs feel like making a new set and calling it Light Blast, Light Melee, or Light Whatever, that is their choice. Pointing out that we do already have sets that with just a player re-color in the customization window makes them look like and function like light attacks is not dismissive. This is an imagination-based game after all. If we can imagine it, odds are we can make it.

Radiation is a very good example. It has the energy damage that is both expected from light-based attacks and is the in-game exact opposite of dark sets with their negative energy damage, it has what I consider to be suitable animations, it has the -DEF one would expect light attacks to grant, and it has the bright color palette so you can make it look like streams or balls of light being launched at your enemies.

Too often some players get hung up on the names of powers and sets instead of looking at the mechanics and seeing if they work for what they want the power or set to do. Also, saying to just pretend your powers are different colors or your weapons are a different weapon is not the same thing as saying 'take a look at the existing power sets and their available customization options to see if they do what you want'. If my character wields green fire but I can't customize my fire attacks to be green? Then it isn't green, no amount of pretending will change that. Time to ask for some new customization options. If my character wields solar flames that burn white hot and we have the Fire Blast set and I can color my attacks white, then I've just made a solar flames character. @biostem only said that we can already make characters that look like and function like they are wielding light, which is not the same thing as 'just pretend your falcata is actually a kris'.

Again, if the devs decide to make a Light Blast or Light Melee set, that is up to them. However, we can already make characters that wield light.

Then I stand by what I said about all changes being unnecessary, and no one should ask for anything... and the devs should stop adding stuff.

Let everyone use what we have as is and just pretend the things we want different.  And I definitely don't want to see anyone who puts forth this attitude asking for anything.  Not one single thing.  You don't deserve to even ask.

Edited by Player2
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

16 minutes ago, Player2 said:

Then I stand by what I said about all changes being unnecessary, and no one should ask for anything... and the devs should stop adding stuff.

Let everyone use what we have as is and just pretend the things we want different.  And I definitely don't want to see anyone who puts forth this attitude asking for anything.  Not one single thing.  You don't deserve to even ask.

You lost me.

6 hours ago, Player2 said:

I see your thumbs down and return it in kind.

I'll second the thumbs down, your argument strikes me as unfair.

We spend most of our ingame time using powers, not staring at the enhancement screen. Therefore the presentation is the animations and the GFX, moreso than the names.

I've colored many powersets white for light-based characters. It works well, for me. My fav is my "Kheldian" Brute with white Radiation Melee. I don't ever think "wow this character is actually radioactive and I have to stretch my suspension of disbelief so much", it just looks and feels like my concept as is.

If this doesn't work you then that's that, but I see no harm in offering suggestions for actionable steps.

Nor do these suggestions strike me as a shutdown of the original request. It's more like, here's options you have, today, to do something that might work.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, nihilii said:

I'll second the thumbs down, your argument strikes me as unfair.

We spend most of our ingame time using powers, not staring at the enhancement screen. Therefore the presentation is the animations and the GFX, moreso than the names.

I've colored many powersets white for light-based characters. It works well, for me. My fav is my "Kheldian" Brute with white Radiation Melee. I don't ever think "wow this character is actually radioactive and I have to stretch my suspension of disbelief so much", it just looks and feels like my concept as is.

If this doesn't work you then that's that, but I see no harm in offering suggestions for actionable steps.

Nor do these suggestions strike me as a shutdown of the original request. It's more like, here's options you have, today, to do something that might work.

Saying "here's what you can do with what we have now", as you pointed out, does not mean that all further development should stop nor that someone's suggestion will never be realized.  At the same time, assuming that in-game descriptions of powers are "set in stone", with regard to how you, the player, interprets those powers and how they tie into your character, is simply a failure of imagination.  As @honoroit pointed out, even dark powers, with careful color selection, can appear as light-based ones.  I mean, heck, they've offered alternate stone melee mallet powers that don't use a mallet at all...  but that contradicts the power's name!  How can this be?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Rudra said:

Pointing out that we do already have sets that with just a player re-color in the customization window makes them look like and function like light attacks is not dismissive. This is an imagination-based game after all. If we can imagine it, odds are we can make it.

And sometimes you have to tweak the stock powers to make them work the way you believe they should. For me, that's all of the Radiation powersets, whose default color is fixed around the misperception that radiation glows green, when in fact that was the color of the phosphor used in radium-illuminated displays. All of my characters with Rad powers have them recolored as close to the #22BDFF color of Čerenkov radiation as possible.

Sometimes, though, it's just affectation; many of my characters with Fire powers have them colored bluish-white to imply that the fire is incredibly hot, based on black-body thermal emission colors -- it doesn't change the power, or even how it works for the character concept; it's just a conceit that the character's firing hotter blasts than one shooting red/orange fire.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/31/2023 at 12:16 PM, Rudra said:

All dark power sets in the game are negative energy sets. All energy and electric sets in the game are energy sets. We already have counters to the dark sets. And you can also just use the bright palette  on a power set and call it light as @Parabola said. Or you can make a Peacebringer since their attacks look like light blasts like @JasperStone said.

If you want a Light Blast or other power set though? Then what are you looking at the set having?

Edit (to provide example): @srmalloy provided an example below, but I couldn't remember my example character until now. I have a "light blast" Corruptor that uses Radiation Blast colored white. It looks like the character is projecting balls (or streams depending on the attack) of light at the target. So try playing around with the colors. You may surprise yourself.

A lightbulb power.

I'd absolutely love a energy/fire(no kb!) light beam blast set, similar to what the Assault Bot & Malta Bots do with a t9 that ideally either:

-Comes from the sky to smite foes as a location based aoe (or traditional targeted AOE)

or

-Emanates from the floor the player stands on up towards the heavens as a pbaoe doing knock up like "mass levitate" (or a "soul storm" like hold animation on all effected enemies)

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/2/2023 at 11:14 AM, Player2 said:

This is a poor argument. You can certainly ask for stuff. But when someone else says "You know, light is energy and you can color energy blast white so it's light, and light is also Radiation and you can color Radiation Blast light too", it is not reasonable to say "well then no one should ask for anything ever again". 

If you are telling me that you must have a powerset called Light Blast and you cannot use a powerset called Radiation Blast even though Radiation blast does EXACTLY what you would expect Light Blast to do and LOOKS exactly like what Light Blast should look like, then I have bad news for you because I suspect you will find yourself very often disappointed.

On 6/2/2023 at 3:19 PM, nihilii said:

Yes this. The key is the animations and the power effects.

Edited by Rigged
  • Thumbs Down 1

Everlasting, even though I do not RP, as:

Doctor Hadius, Crab Spider (Main) ~ Aeronwen, Rad/Super Strength/Mu Tanker ~ Mortality Black, Time/Dual Pistols/Soul Defender ~ Vextravaganza, Illusion/Dark/Psi Controller ~ Baneframe, Robots/Time/Mace Mastermind ~ Zippy-Zap, Electric Armor/Dark Melee/Soul Tanker ~ Laser Lily, Beam Rifle/Energy Aura/Leviathan Sentinel ~ Nezumiko, Savage Melee/Bio Armor/Mu Stalker