Returning Player

Cyberslash

Hello, all. I'm an old player from the original coh who just stumbled across Homecoming. I'm thrilled to be playing again, but I also realize I've forgotten much of how the game works, specifically with regards to crafting and enhancements. I'd be grateful if someone could point me to a guide to crafting enhancements if such a thing exists.

Also, I have some specific questions:

Does anyone have any advice on slotting enhancements while leveling re/origin vs I/Os, when to replace I/Os, whether it's better to buy recipes at the workbench or at the AH, how much influence should be spent crafting will leveling, etc.  All build guides I've come across are slotted for lvl 50, so I'm at a loss as to how to slot as I level.

And in regards to enhancement sets:

Do enhancement sets level with you, or do they stay at the level they were crafted? - For example, if you craft a 30-50 set, do you have to recraft it at 50 to increase its stats?

What happens if you outlevel a set? If a set is 10-25, what happens at level 26?

Any advice or directions to the nearest "beginner's guide to crafting" would be greatly appreciated. When I jumped back in I forgot how deep the waters are.

Oh, and is there a mid's designer out there still? The one page I found had a dead link.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard!

Lot of questions.  Cash will help.  Look up Yomo and his giveaway thread.  20 mil helps.  

Single Origin Enhancers are available at 5th? level now.  They can be "levelled" with you.  (button on enhancement screen) but it is spendy to keep redoing it. See Yomo above.

Buy "attuned" sets from the Auction.  They level with you.

Most sets that are good are 30+  But there are some true gems in the lower levels depending on build.  If your build needs a lower level set then slot it and do not over think it. (unless its on a main attack or something important)

If you "outlevel" an SET (not a SO) the bonuses top out at that level.  No other harm.

There is a mids on this board.  find the latest link in that section.

Welcome and have fun!

33 minutes ago, Cyberslash said:

Hello, all. I'm an old player from the original coh who just stumbled across Homecoming. I'm thrilled to be playing again

Welcome home!

I also realize I've forgotten much of how the game works, specifically with regards to crafting and enhancements. I'd be grateful if someone could point me to a guide to crafting enhancements if such a thing exists.

Here's a good starting point for crafting/inventions.

Does anyone have any advice on slotting enhancements while leveling re/origin vs I/Os

This is the approach I generally take: starting at level 22, I will craft and slot level 25 "generic IOs", and use these all the way to 50, at which point, I'll either utilize one of my alternate builds to start slotting set-IOs or special ones, like Hamidon enhancements or the like.

What happens if you outlevel a set? If a set is 10-25, what happens at level 26?

Invention-origin enhancements continue to provide their benefit, regardless of your level.  that being said, with very few exceptions, I wouldn't bother spending a lot of influence or rare components on lower-level IOs.

Edited by biostem
  • Thumbs Up 1

So just to be painfully clear: if I have an enhancement set that's lvl 30-50, and I slot it at 30, it will level with me up to 50 and I won't have to reslot it at higher level? I know I'm being dense, but I just want to make sure I won't make a giant blunder.

14 minutes ago, Cyberslash said:

So just to be painfully clear: if I have an enhancement set that's lvl 30-50, and I slot it at 30, it will level with me up to 50 and I won't have to reslot it at higher level? I know I'm being dense, but I just want to make sure I won't make a giant blunder.

No, the level range simply indicates the levels at which the recipes to craft those enhancements can drop at.  A level 30 IO will only provide that bonus.  The big exception are "attuned" enhancements - these are, for all intents and purposes, "leveless", and will scale with whatever your current combat level is.  Just note that this attunement only affects the base stat bonuses, and not special effects, (like for a luck of the gambler def/+global recharge, it'll only affect the defense buff, not the global recharge).

Edited by biostem

Welcome Home!

I'm sure others can give you more technical answers, but with the changes in Homecoming (it is not a static game by any means), Training Origin enhancements are gone (rumors of a few vendors still marketing them exist).  Dual Origin is now the stating point, and Single Origin enhancements, as Snarky pointed out, at their lowest are marked level 5, which means you can start slotting them at level 2.  Homecoming has added an Upgrade button in the enhancement manage screen, and as long as you have the corresponding INF (cash) you can upgrade anything slotted to the highest level your current rank permits.  For my personal play style, I've determined that level 38 is that tipping point where vendored Single Origins have less oomph than crafted enhancements, so personally, that is the moment I stop upgrading the SO's and go to level 40 crafted enhancements.

I mentioned this recently on another returning player's thread, but travel has changed for the better in Homecoming.  You still have the train stations and the T.U.N.N.E.L system (swirly portals usually near train stations, but not always). 

The Homecoming Development team aided players by creating the Fast Travel "button", a type of accolade that you can drop into one of your powers trays.  It acts as a pop-up menu, allowing you to access a variety of travel abilities that would normally take up several spaces in your powers trays.  To acquire the Fast Travel, you have to tag all the explorations badges in a zone.  So if in Atlas Park, find all the exploration badges there, and in addition to the badge for accomplishing all that, you'll unlock the Fast Travel feature.  You'll find it under "Accolades" in your powers listings.  It is dark green.  Simply drag it to a spot on your powers trays, and click it to access it's special menu. 

Upon opening the Fast Travel, you'll find several travel options including Ouroboros Zone travel and the "Long Range TP Zone Check" at the bottom. This latter one, when moused over, highlights sub-menus menus such as Paragon City and Rogue Islands.  These in turn have their zones listed.  Every time you find an initial exploration marker in a different zone, it will highlight and unlock that zone for you allowing fast travel to it via a teleportation.  Be aware that there is a recharge time.

Access to the time zone, Ouroboros, is no longer restricted to level 14 and up.  Ask in Atlas Park for someone to drop an "O-Portal" to allow you to get in, and get your own power tray access to Ouroboros, which is another way people travel quickly through the game, popping into the O, and exiting to one of several destinations.  (Be sure to grab the badge while there.  The marker is at the top of the structure.)

Other features under the Fast Travel may be grayed out, and will unlock either through something earned, such as Day Job badge rewards, or by acquisition from the P2W vendors

In case you don't recall these, P2W vendors appear in key zones.  The three training zones have them.  There's one in Atlas Park to the side of the Atlas Statue, by the fountain.  Another is in Pocket D.  While you're visiting the P2W vendor, you'll likely want to grab everything free from them under the category "Prestige Powers".  Some are "either this one or that one" choices so be sure to read the descriptions.  There's some nice fighting powers there to help a novice character. You may also wish to grab the free Prestige Enhancements, which, though not as powerful as the Single Origin enhancements sold at standard vendors, do provide some nice procs up until level 22.  Lastly, you'll likely want to look at the Temporary Powers at the P2W vendor.  There's many useful things, like jetpacks, that cost the game currency INF, but there's also free experience boosters under Temp Powers/Buffs/Experience Boosters.  One hour each, and you can requisition up to eight at a time.  Although jetpacks cost something, I like to keep one as an emergency travel spare, just in case my travel powers are ever interrupted.

Another change to the game is in the Atlas Park area.  If you look to the buildings to the left of the Atlas Statue, a new building has replaced the old Architect Entertainment building.  This building houses access to the "secret" Fort Trident sub base.  Within you'll find all manner of things: Back Alley Brawler is trainer there.  All the Blue-Side Task Forces have a setup option there, there's crafting tables, BOTLER, at several other things.  Take a look around when you have a chance.

1 hour ago, Cyberslash said:

DO and SO's can be upgraded from the enhancement window. (this cost influence each time that you "upgrade" them). You can do this even if they have turned red.

Non-IO set IOs don't expire, but their level can't be increased.

Set IOs level up with you if they are attuned. If you have some that are slotted that aren't attuned, you can attune them with an enhancement catalyst.

Attuned IOs can't be leveled up past 50.

You can't unattune an attuned enhancement.

Edited by UltraAlt

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

2 hours ago, Cyberslash said:

You are 100% correct.  You buy a attuned set on auction that is 30-50.  You can slot it at 27.  It will be level 30.  As you level it is “attuned” to your level and levels with you.  The set bonuses work from the level you slot it.  If you drop level down to 15 to run a Posi TF the set bonuses disappear.  All enhancers are squished when going down that far, but they still count.  For something.  The set bonuses only work from 27 and up

Does anyone have any advice on slotting enhancements while leveling re/origin vs I/Os, when to replace I/Os, whether it's better to buy recipes at the workbench or at the AH, how much influence should be spent crafting will leveling, etc.  All build guides I've come across are slotted for lvl 50, so I'm at a loss as to how to slot as I level.

Well, this is a matter of personal opinion.  Many people have one build to level and then respec and reslot at level 50.

As for me, I use SO's up until about level 30-35, then I start slotting IO's - adding high level sets to newer powers as I level and that's my final build.  I don't redo it at 50.

Do enhancement sets level with you, or do they stay at the level they were crafted? - For example, if you craft a 30-50 set, do you have to recraft it at 50 to increase its stats?

Only 'attuned' enhancements level up with you.  You can attune any IO you craft using a catalyst (after it's slotted).  You can BUY attuned IO's off the Auction House.  Also, the archetype sets are attuned automatically.

Nothing.  It works exactly the same no matter what your level is.  (Except that the effectiveness is reduced if you exemp down to a lower level.)

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

And also, great job in giving a helping hand with info guy's; you all rock! 😁

bdcae33b-eb2a-4f6f-a6f9-8c1e12df78f0_text.gif

Please come and join us on Friday at 6pm Central Time for our Friday Fashion Costume Contest (see the link below). We all hope to see you, yes YOU, there... And if you also wish to join our happy group, the Celestial Warriors SG, please feel free to join our Discord (see link below), and/or contact GL herself (Global is @Laucianna), or any of us if we are on in fact... 🙂

Friday Fashion Costume Contest On Excelsior (6pm Central Time)...

The Celestial Warriors Discord Channel...

Ahhh, Snarky, you always find a way to make me smile... 😁

Get down with your bad self! (Too bad you play on the Dark Side of the moon though; I'd love to team/meet with you in person lol)...

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Please come and join us on Friday at 6pm Central Time for our Friday Fashion Costume Contest (see the link below). We all hope to see you, yes YOU, there... And if you also wish to join our happy group, the Celestial Warriors SG, please feel free to join our Discord (see link below), and/or contact GL herself (Global is @Laucianna), or any of us if we are on in fact... 🙂

Friday Fashion Costume Contest On Excelsior (6pm Central Time)...

The Celestial Warriors Discord Channel...