No starfield posts?

LegionAlpha

21 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

Sounds too much like a job.

If I wanted a job, I'd play EVE.

The camera thing bugs TF outta me on XB in the editors, so I figured dumping the game on my scratch SSD just for that wouldn't be so bad. I Should pull out a spare SSD though instead of filling up that drive.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

• 4 weeks later

Well, the more time passes the happier I am that I passed on this.

"Starfield is so BAD Because a 10 Year Old Wrote it"

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

On 10/10/2023 at 6:23 AM, PeregrineFalcon said:

Well, the more time passes the happier I am that I passed on this.

"Starfield is so BAD Because a 10 Year Old Wrote it"

lol clickbait picture of boobs that isn't from the game he's talking about.  his opinion is super valid 👍

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

24 minutes ago, Jiro Ito said:

lol clickbait picture of boobs that isn't from the game he's talking about.  his opinion is super valid 👍

While I agree that it's a ridiculous, click-bait thumbnail, that doesn't just automagically invalidate his opinion.

Of course, in order to decide if his opinion is valid you'd have to actually watch the video. We both know that you won't do that because then you might, just might, have to admit that you're wrong. And we all know that one of the major rules of the internet is that you're never allowed to admit that you're wrong.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

On 10/12/2023 at 8:55 AM, PeregrineFalcon said:

While I agree that it's a ridiculous, click-bait thumbnail, that doesn't just automagically invalidate his opinion.

Of course, in order to decide if his opinion is valid you'd have to actually watch the video. We both know that you won't do that because then you might, just might, have to admit that you're wrong. And we all know that one of the major rules of the internet is that you're never allowed to admit that you're wrong.

nah.  i've played the game for myself and am enjoying it.  

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

30 minutes ago, Jiro Ito said:

nah.  i've played the game for myself and am enjoying it.  

So?

At no point did I say that you couldn't play the game or enjoy it. And, just because you're enjoying the game doesn't automagically make my opinion, or his, invalid in any way.

Other people are allowed to have an opinion and said opinion isn't wrong, even if you disagree with it.  😄

So I've put a ton of time into it and enjoyed it. If you have played a Bethesda game then it will instantly be familiar with things like their quest formats, dialog trees, companions and affinity, combat, research and crafting, etc. I've completed all the faction quests and pretty much every activity I could find. There's essentially infinite missions between mission boards and just dropping out of space at some randomly generated civilian outpost and encountering their latest issue, but like radio missions they are of minimal consequence. There's some fun little random encounters - like the grandma just touring around space in retirement, or a trader with a pet 8-eyed lizard who landed on the same planet I was exploring.

The story is ok, interesting enough but not incredible - but I mean - what could anyone expect here? Gameplay-wise it's kind of clever but without being specific because of spoilers, the whole New Game+ path it unlocks seems antithetical to how people actually play Bethesda games. So that's an odd story choice, but after trying New Game+ I just went back to an earlier save and continued without finishing that quest line. The worlds and key locations are great though and well thought out and give you lots to do.

Surveying planets is ok, though a little repetitive. It's kind of nice soothing to stroll a new planet cataloging things, well the non-violent things. I have not invested in surveying skills though, and suspect it could be much quicker going if I did. The variety of plants and animals and landscapes is impressive. (The variety of unique planetary "traits" - special locations you discover - less so).

It's clear there are big pieces that are yet to come. Outposts are all but pointless and eminently dull - clearly a shell they will build upon, as there are hooks about colonies and more. I was hoping for something more like the amazing Sim Settlments mod on Fallout 4, but maybe its coming. Similarly, there are obvious story elements that point to high end content yet to come. 

Unlike outposts - crafting your ships is fun. (Invest in the piloting skill!). I have so much money from just doing the core quests that registering the ships is nbd and you are even given several through the quest lines (even a very expensive C class). It's been fun working out how to use the quirky system and to discover the unique ship parts at the different staryards/brands that let you make something unique. Have a big ole crew of 9 on one of my 3 C class ships. Pretty much nothing can stand up to them now. Even took out the 2 big sort of "boss" ships with em. (Though I have 3 different C class ships they have a similar weapon build out).

I wish you had more control over ship interiors, but I guess homes/apartments and outposts are for those that want to lay things out in detail.

Combat is as good and bad as any Bethesda game - but it's not the reason I play. Honestly, other than the initial point in stealth and lasers I got from my starting "class" (cyberneticist), and one point in booster packs just to use them, I have put 0 points in combat and am in my 60s. Space combat is fun, and I saw one thread about how playing purely as a space sim - stopping nowhere but space stations - made for a fun play through. I could see that if you did not care about the main plots, but it would get a tad repetative.

Managing inventory, as always with Bethesda, is a big burden. There is so much you can take, but only so much you can carry, on yourself or even in your cargo hold. You do have a few infinite storage spots but have to travel to them. The contraband thing and shielded cargo holds is a nice little twist for someone who wants to do a bit more of a redside play through and join the Crimson Fleet pirates. 

The pure Diplomacy, Manipulation route would be hard to pull off - but being good in convos definitely unlocks some things. I maxed out diplomacy and definitely enjoyed swinging convos my way.

Go in with the right expectations and you'll have a good time. But as vast as it is - there is definitely more to come.

Edited by Ankylosaur
  • Like 1

AE Arcs: Search for @Ankylosaur    * denotes Dev's Choice

• Adventures in Lit:  Adventures in Wonderland - 25-54*  |  Adventures in Oz - 40-54  |  Adventures in Neverland - 45-54
  • Notable One-offs: Rularularian - 41-54*  |  The Serpent Beyond the Horizon - 46-52*   |  Robolution - 25-34*  |  The Genesis & Geneticists of The Coming Hamiggedon -  41-54*   |  Spycraft and Spidermen - 40-47  |  Return to Faultline - 40-54 
  • Post-Praetoria Series: All That Glitters: Gold Brickers & Mooks 9 Arcs  |   All That Glimmers:  First Warders & Mu - 9 Arcs  | All That Glints: The Awakened & Council - 3 Arcs  |  All That Glows: Nictus & 5th Column - 3 Arcs*   |  All That Gleams: Epilogue (Neo Tokyo) - 1 Arc

4 hours ago, Ankylosaur said:

Managing inventory, as always with Bethesda, is a big burden. There is so much you can take, but only so much you can carry, on yourself or even in your cargo hold. You do have a few infinite storage spots but have to travel to them. The contraband thing and shielded cargo holds is a nice little twist for someone who wants to do a bit more of a redside play through and join the Crimson Fleet pirates. 

When you first enter a building (raiders, etc), then look for a nearby storage unit. Normally a big crate or even a safe (that you often have to crack). You'll find that you can dump everything into these, clear that building, and then take that lovely stroll to the next place. Remember, you can't die from constantly sprinting, but if you fall too far, get shot, etc, then you can.

I've had a couple 0G ship takeovers now and they're a PITA because you can end up with things like turrets in a wall that prevent you from claiming the ship. I had to leave the ship and come back once or twice before it would spawn close enough to kill it. Oh and do what you can to level up flight if you like to 'acquire' ships as I've had a couple that I couldn't' fly because of the class rating. It also affects ship building...I think.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

3 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

Oh and do what you can to level up flight

Yeah - that's the piloting skill. I was late to discover that but it's critical. Take it early.

Skills require mastery of that level before you can level them again, which is a good concept - so taking anything you want to gain multiple levels with is better to do early so the leveling of the skill has the requirements out of the way when you are ready to spend a point on it. And if you want to fly the bigger ships - you need piloting. I also leveled up Ship Design because I really enjoyed crafting ships.

I did not take over many ships. Several core arcs give you some pretty good free ones. Late late late game I found a Va Runn Prophecy II landed on a planet I was surveying (Serpentis IV) and it was a breeze to take it over.  Became an anchor for my toughest ship though I modified it extensively (since it's ugly) and I loaded it up with auto-turrets. 🙂

Story-wise and creative-mission-wise, I think the United Colonies vs Crimson Fleet and the Ryujin faction arc were my personal favs. I did like a particular couple of missions in the main arc where you uncover some stuff with Nasa too but don't want to say much here. The Crucible was a cool one too with some interesting after-effects - frankly a few more star treky, self-contained, "let's drop in on this world and see what's going on here" missions would be welcome. And the Paradisio First Contact one was a great concept but was not especially complicated or involved to work through. YMMV

Edited by Ankylosaur

• Adventures in Lit:  Adventures in Wonderland - 25-54*  |  Adventures in Oz - 40-54  |  Adventures in Neverland - 45-54
  • Notable One-offs: Rularularian - 41-54*  |  The Serpent Beyond the Horizon - 46-52*   |  Robolution - 25-34*  |  The Genesis & Geneticists of The Coming Hamiggedon -  41-54*   |  Spycraft and Spidermen - 40-47  |  Return to Faultline - 40-54 
  • Post-Praetoria Series: All That Glitters: Gold Brickers & Mooks 9 Arcs  |   All That Glimmers:  First Warders & Mu - 9 Arcs  | All That Glints: The Awakened & Council - 3 Arcs  |  All That Glows: Nictus & 5th Column - 3 Arcs*   |  All That Gleams: Epilogue (Neo Tokyo) - 1 Arc

i tried with starfield, i just couldn't bring myself to enjoy it... combat is primative in ways oblivion bettered, certainly melee wise.

the story is... bring on ai generation pls, tell it i want to be thought challenged, and to apply a pulp pap filter.

see, new vegas, it was silly, but was good. spacer.png

starfield isnt winning any goty, aside from whatever is literally handed it of industry courtesies and prop to business systems - a function of such awardings.

6mo from now, no more chatter. 10y from now? 'you mean the one that outer world did better, and the one that copied no mans sky poorly, using fast travel between warp points?'

im sure some people love it, just glad i played on xbox gamepass. i was so tempted to drop extra too so i could have played over the launch weekend. 

iado61.thumb.jpg.201c5f3fc254119e67e8662bc474b775.jpg

Figs, exemplar of temperance

Edited by honoroit
  • Like 1

It's definitely missing the wit and tongue in cheek of Fallout. And since Bethesda bought that property, it stands to reason that does not naturally come from them. (Skyrim isn't funny for example.) There's a few things, like the "Chunks" brand of food, but not much.

Outer Worlds (by the New Vegas folk) captured some of that within the space genre as you say. But somehow I left Outer Worlds feeling like I should have liked it a whole lot more than I did - I liked it, but was a little flat on it I think because it felt a little like Fallout in space with the humor. I may dust it off and give it another spin - I hear they updated the graphics. 

But combat-wise Starfield feels right on par with Fallout as it feels like it's pretty much the same engine. Melee has always been terrible there IMHO, but it's got more combat action to it than CoH since you can't just tab. 🙂 Again though - not why I play.

I chose one of my traits as a Neon Street Rat so did what I could to figure out how to get to Neon City right away. May have influenced my play through - leaving the shining spires of New Atlantis. I think it would have been better to let you start in one of the three big locations and, like Fallout, force you to pick a faction - coming upon Constellation after you have made a bit of a name for yourself.  By my level, it does feel a little weird that I am a Captain in the United Colonies, a Ranger in the Freestar Collective and a covert operative for Ryujin Industries - seems at odds with one another. (Actually struggled role-play-wise to bother to do the other faction stories for awhile because of that - but decided a Ryujin covert operative would definitely like to work her way into the United Colonies and Freestar Collective ranks if she could 🙂 ).

Some of the amazing things are in the open world platform they created. Things like lighting affected by a combo of atmosphere and weather, planet tilt and location etc.

And though this is reiterating what I said above, parts of it are obviously unfinished and will come in the form of DLCs - like outposts and at least one group you hear a lot about but have nothing specific to do with or against them.

I wish there were a Mission Architect that could let me plop stories into with prefabbed outposts that I can place on the thousand worlds. 🙂

Edited by Ankylosaur
  • Like 1

I decided to upload my various screenshots / vids to my game email so that I can start share-posting (instead of eating up all my HC file limit), so I'll probably have a spam post or three soon. 😛

Well crap...I just tried using the share links from Gdrive and the boards don't know what to do with them. 😞

Here's the main link for the folder with just Starfield stuff. I played like a week's worth on the first character, but decided to start a new one recently with a different approach. I didn't gender swap like I normally do (when alternating characters), but I did keep the background basically the same. 

Edited by WanderingAries
  • Like 1

• 2 months later

So I'm uploading more stuff to the archive. One of the videos (un-narrated) covers my trick to taking over a ship (to keep / sell) and getting back to yours without worry of needing to chase it down or goto a port. Everything going up right now is from December though, so that's like $3M credits, a dozen ship upgrades, gear upgrades, etc ago. I need to redo some of them, but the ship interior tour is pretty accurate still.

Edit: So I decided to move the videos to Youtube instead. I've uploaded a text file with the link.

Edited by WanderingAries

Bought it, played it some, forgot it.

Other than those eyes.

Those insane NPC eyes still haunt my dreams.

Baldur's Gate 3 makes Starfield look like fucking Sesame Street.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

What, me worry?

18 hours ago, Mopery said:

Bought it, played it some, forgot it.

Other than those eyes.

Those insane NPC eyes still haunt my dreams.

Baldur's Gate 3 makes Starfield look like fucking Sesame Street.

That's what happens when you breath the red dust 😛

• 2 weeks later

So I guess I completed one version of Starfield over the weekend. On the one hand, I'm super glad I did all those side-quests before putting in too much time into the main / faction quests, but on the other hand, now that I see what the NG+ is about, it almost makes all of my efforts feel like they were a waste and that the game could Easily be a fraction of its time investment had I skipped everything, but the main quest. I think this is pretty close to how I felt about NMS's initial ending path as it's basically the same IIRC. I'm pretty sure everything in-between has changed for That game though.

So I suppose that one might rank the game as-is around a 6.5 ~ 7, but there are definitely some goodies hidden everywhere if you've got the patience to explore. I wish we could mark things in our inventory as "don't scrap / sell" because of a collectable type or two that I later wanted to keep.

Spoilers: NG+ is basically a new game with some mild dialog changes (to reflect what happens), all your gear is gone (because of the nature of the ending), and everything you've built no longer exists (for the reason to be explained). All that makes sense with the ending, but it's rather annoying to start over on everything 'materialistic'. Your character stats do transfer (of course), so for those looking to max things out, then the bonuses from redoing missions will help speed that up.

I have SS's, but haven't gotten around to loading them.