No starfield posts?

LegionAlpha

has anyone had positive experience in starfield? the reviews im hearing are less than enthusiastic.

i get its not eve online, mo mans sky, star citizen (and no ty)... but was hoping itd remind of fallout.

xbox big boss said its similar to oblivion, and that was a good game.

space combat looks like something from privateer (origin), pace wise.

i dont care about bugs past crashing constantly, which it doesnt seem to do.

but bad story... thats problematic.

few days is xbox game pass.

Edited by honoroit

10 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

Even with the supposed reduced FPS, I'm noticing so graphical peculiarities on the XBsX for sure. If you've ever seen that weird vector projection effect (a line popping out of nowhere) in old games, then that's a thing for sure. It's rather annoying AF as I'll get random lines that may or may not relate to the companion's aiming, but it's mostly when just walking around.

Some of these things are, likely, because this is a kinda-sorta-almost-but-not-quite-actually-released Bethesda title.
So a lot of the behavior from this game are highly anomalous.
And we're likely to see better, more dependable performance and image quality metrics down the road as CPU and GPU optimizations work their way into the pipeline...

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

1 hour ago, WanderingAries said:

Even with the supposed reduced FPS, I'm noticing so graphical peculiarities on the XBsX for sure. If you've ever seen that weird vector projection effect (a line popping out of nowhere) in old games, then that's a thing for sure. It's rather annoying AF as I'll get random lines that may or may not relate to the companion's aiming, but it's mostly when just walking around.

The only weird behavior I have seen is a couple of npc pathing issues.  One time my companion ended up standing on someone's desk during a quest conversation.  It was funny how the quest npc was looking up at my companion during the conversation.  With over 50 hrs in so far and only seeing a minor pathing issue is pretty good.  I haven't seen any issues like what you describe.  Maybe that is isolated to the console?

1 hour ago, honoroit said:

has anyone had positive experience in starfield? the reviews im hearing are less than enthusiastic.

i get its not eve online, mo mans sky, star citizen (and no ty)... but was hoping itd remind of fallout.

xbox big boss said its similar to oblivion, and that was a good game.

space combat looks like something from privateer (origin), pace wise.

i dont care about bugs past crashing constantly, which it doesnt seem to do.

but bad story... thats problematic.

few days is xbox game pass.

Pretty detailed reviews:

19 hours ago, honoroit said:

he screamed about a lot of things in his video - what part in particular? gender pronouns?

That's why.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

1 hour ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

That's why.

tripe.

whining about not being able to define a closet for people to throw them in, and decrying 'current day sensibilites' as a 'departure from traditional values', 'wokeism', and to quote further 'like traditional marriages and two sexes'.

i was waiting to hear phrase bingo with: 'radical left', 'deep state', and 'perfect phonecall'

just pick he/him and be done with it? because, they'll then refer to you as he/him.  likewise with other choices.

to link exclusion with 'escapism' is quietly asking 'why can i not be a biggot in your media?'

which, is silly, and desperately selfish... indeed, harmful. it is not enviable of a (hu)man, to wish to vector harm.

Edited by honoroit
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, honoroit said:

to link exclusion with 'escapism' is quietly asking 'why can i not be a biggot in your media?'

Yawn..... Insert "anyone who doesn't think like me is a bigot" nonsense.  Are you gonna call anyone that disagrees with you a "Yahtzee", next?  🙄

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, biostem said:

Yawn..... Insert "anyone who doesn't think like me is a bigot" nonsense.  Are you gonna call anyone that disagrees with you a "Yahtzee", next?  🙄

It's a lazy response.
Granted this guy's response is lazy and childish too.
But answering like with like solves/proves NOTHING.

• Like 1

I'm enjoying the game.  There's some weird bugs that I assume will get worked out through patches, like I've seen in all the other Bethesda games (I've played them all since Morrowind), but I'm having lots of fun.  I got lost in the spaceship builder for hours, trying to put together something I liked that was also flyable.  

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

1 hour ago, Jiro Ito said:

I got lost in the spaceship builder for hours, trying to put together something I liked that was also flyable.  

I keep going into it, but then I have to remind myself that I've been going slow and I really don't think there's much you Can do with the starter ship. I couldn't even get it to add a second storage unit.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

7 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

I keep going into it, but then I have to remind myself that I've been going slow and I really don't think there's much you Can do with the starter ship. I couldn't even get it to add a second storage unit.

I used the console code to give myself 100B credits then played around for hours just to see what it was like.  Then I went back to my saved game to play regularly.  🙂

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

i couldnt go on after a few hours.

the story, well I just left click skipped as much as I could.  that's a me problem, you have to be RIVITING for me to actually listen to whatever you've got some 25y/o writing at me these days.  changing of the guard at Bethesda, is what I'd say about writing disconnectedness and quality in this title.

Its like there's mark of the tread of old veteran, and mash / plant of the new on a changed muddled sea o' words. 

endemic of time, and something unseen to those not having played daggerfall when it released or the like.

truth is, I don't remember a word of the story in Ultima IV, or oblivion. nor kings quest, nor space quest, nor system shock past names, voice clip fragments, and echoes of places traversed. just more of a feeling of, I liked that I remember liking that once upon a time.

not kotor, mass effects, nor even fallout 3 and new vegas past what mentioned - fragments, theme, and into-out-of vats vats vats, pickup thing, sell menu, choices... ok.. confirm, fire ants, a radioactive shelter crammed with luggage.

So I'm too weathered, and not 15.

Approaching starfield without weathering of time might be more fun, but an 'unparalled experience'?  it is not.

no mans sky was/is better, as a space simulator - though has an atrocious plot in its playground.

kicker - the combat is bad. melee especially. bad, bad, really bad, sub skyrim bad.

i feel like trying out dark and darker.

• Game Master

Heels vs Babyface certainly has opinions, and he does go off on a rant with this, but I watched the video originally and he looks like a man who's been slapped in the face with "Agendas" so many times he's had enough. I've not played the game, I don't have the time to devote to playing it enough to give it justice, but he certainly seemed to like it until it got to a weird bit with a female clone of a male NPC. I'm not quite sure why it set him off to the point he was so angry he had to make a video rant, but I suppose he just wants a game where his immersion isn't ruined by the California bubble sensibilities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

12 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

Heels vs Babyface certainly has opinions, and he does go off on a rant with this, but I watched the video originally and he looks like a man who's been slapped in the face with "Agendas" so many times he's had enough. I've not played the game, I don't have the time to devote to playing it enough to give it justice, but he certainly seemed to like it until it got to a weird bit with a female clone of a male NPC. I'm not quite sure why it set him off to the point he was so angry he had to make a video rant, but I suppose he just wants a game where his immersion isn't ruined by the California bubble sensibilities.

I'm not gonna waste time watching this vid you guys are chatting about as it sounds like he's either doing it for clicks or legit has issues.

The game says I've played (albeit 60 of the time slogging back to sell / store stuff) about two days' worth and there's nothing super new as of yet. Keeping in mind that I have not left the first planet and done a bunch of missions. I've done a few side missions, but mostly I've been popping all over that planet looking for places to loot, NPCs to plough through, and ships to seize (without pissing off my companion). I got mad when I found out that you have to pay a TON to register these ships (in order to modify, etc) and that he first two ships I 'acquired' had resale values for just over the registration fee. >.<   Then late in the day I came across a mammoth of a ship and went "MINE!!!". Unlike the first two ships I got (which only had 200 storage for large looking ships?!?), this one had nearly 3x the storage of what the starter ship gives you, a bunch of crew spots, and I'm pretty sure every kind of crafting table you'd need. Now I just need to figure out how to setup crafting so that it uses the outpost And the ship's stores when building. Still not impressed with the base / ship building controls and confusing interfaces, but I guess I'll sort it out eventually.

Oh, for the crafting, keep an eye out for when it says 'variations' as that means Types, not styles (colors, etc). So what they've done is stack things in a way that reduces scrolling, but it's obvious as to what it means until you start clicking. Apparently, I've just acquired a mission for a better ship (Epic?), but I'm taking it leisurely between work and the Disney DreamSnaps stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1
  • Thumbs Right 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

i generally don't like to buy a bethesda game for a year or two, wait out the bug fixes, get a good mod stew going, wait for a GotY edition with DLC bundled for cheap

i also don't like to watch influencer videos with grown men ranting about some video game shit for like 20-120 minutes nor utilize that to form any part of any opinion i've ever had

Edited by Indystruck
  • Thumbs Up 2

@Twi - Phobia on Everlasting

1 hour ago, Indystruck said:

i also don't like to watch influencer videos with grown men ranting about some video game shit for like 20-120 minutes nor utilize that to form any part of any opinion i've ever had

Grown men?  Or "grown" men?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

Heels vs Babyface ... certainly seemed to like it until it got to a weird bit with a female clone of a male NPC.

I've not played the game at all yet, I don't know the intricacies of true cloning, and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night (old American joke) but simplistically sci-fi wise, a female clone of a male doesn't seem that crazy: just remove the Y and patch in a second copy of the X.  I'm sure real world geneticists would explain why that isn't possible, and I accept that if so, but this is a game.  I'd have more problems with a male clone of a female NPC.  Where'd ya get the Y?

13 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

Grown men?  Or "grown" men?

" 'groan' men ranting"

On 9/11/2023 at 3:17 PM, WanderingAries said:

I got mad when I found out that you have to pay a TON to register these ships (in order to modify, etc) and that he first two ships I 'acquired' had resale values for just over the registration fee. >.< 

This is driving me crazy too, i can make 5k selling a rifle but 1k selling a spaceship?

I finally resorted to using console commands to deal with storage capacity.  Bye cheevos 😞

So now I have TWO of the big ships, but unfortunately you can only really have one ship for usage and the game does this weird thing where the next one you use becomes active or something as I've had stuff in one ship, found another, later my crew goes to ship 2, but my stuff is still in ship 1 and lots of weirdness if you don't do what they Mean for you to do and take it to port right away. Apparently your inventory gets just mass dumped into the new one as well, so that might impact your sorting if you like to 'acquire' ships alot. I'm still on the first planet though. 😛

Oh and while I play on XBsX, I've decided to try and do my base / ship crafting on the PC since the cross-save thing exists.

Edited by WanderingAries

1 hour ago, WanderingAries said:

So now I have TWO of the big ships, but unfortunately you can only really have one ship for usage and the game does this weird thing where the next one you use becomes active or something as I've had stuff in one ship, found another, later my crew goes to ship 2, but my stuff is still in ship 1 and lots of weirdness if you don't do what they Mean for you to do and take it to port right away. Apparently your inventory gets just mass dumped into the new one as well, so that might impact your sorting if you like to 'acquire' ships alot. I'm still on the first planet though. 😛

Oh and while I play on XBsX, I've decided to try and do my base / ship crafting on the PC since the cross-save thing exists.

Sounds too much like a job.

If I wanted a job, I'd play EVE.

• Thumbs Up 1