Storm Blast > Storm Cell question

Given that the damage in Storm Blast is lackluster outside of Storm Cell, why isn't Storm Cell a toggle?

You, the player, have to be in the Storm Cell in order to get the "bonus" damage.  We don't need another key power like Force Field Generator that just quits on you, often with no notice.  At least FFG has a fast enough recharge that you can simply hit it again between spawns.  Storm Cell doesn't even get that.

And the need for Storm Cell to be a PBAoE toggle is exacerbated by the glacial pace it follows the caster at in addition to it being prone to vanish without warning.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Col. Kernel said:

Given that the damage in Storm Blast is lackluster outside of Storm Cell, why isn't Storm Cell a toggle?

You, the player, have to be in the Storm Cell in order to get the "bonus" damage.  We don't need another key power like Force Field Generator that just quits on you, often with no notice.  At least FFG has a fast enough recharge that you can simply hit it again between spawns.  Storm Cell doesn't even get that.

And the need for Storm Cell to be a PBAoE toggle is exacerbated by the glacial pace it follows the caster at in addition to it being prone to vanish without warning.

You, the player, doesn't need to be inside the storm cell. The enemy does.

Also, Amy storm blast attack you do has a chance to proc a power for the storm cell, which would be used against a foe inside the storm cell.

• Thumbs Up 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

5 hours ago, Col. Kernel said:

Think of Storm cell sort of like Beam Rifle's Disintegrate power - it's a key component of the set, but it isn't always available, so you need to be careful with its use and take steps to maximize that.  The issue with Storm Blast, IMHO, is that the extra damage from the secondary effects proccing against an enemy within that storm cell isn't enough, doesn't occur enough, aren't obvious enough or some combination thereof.

8 minutes ago, Major_Decoy said:

I could be wrong, but I think Storm Cell has that blue ring around it to remind you "Hey you could be using this" and as such, that would count as a warning that it ran out.

If it does, then I didn't notice it throughout my storm/nin sentinel's trip to 50 and beyond, or, even when trying different color settings, I managed to skip over the ones that were more visible...

35 minutes ago, Major_Decoy said:

I could be wrong, but I think Storm Cell has that blue ring around it to remind you "Hey you could be using this" and as such, that would count as a warning that it ran out.

Yes, I understand this.

However it is anything but obvious when you are fighting.   Much like the FFG exploding is easily overlooked in the visual and sound effects of battle, or when you move quickly to a more distant spawn and the power deactivates while it is not near you.

8 hours ago, Col. Kernel said:

I love the Storm Blaster set and already have 2 characters wielding it.  That said, not everything is perfect to my personal interests, and I'm well-aware it will vary for others.  I'm a range striker, and as such, I prefer to fight, well, at range, not in melee range.  While I do have powers for close-hand combat, such as Lightning Storm, I'm not fond of the movement of Storm Cell towards enveloping me, forcing me into melee range combat if I want continued bonus effects.  If I place it on a spot, I'd prefer it remained on that spot.  I've taken the effort to recognize that is where most of the enemy are, or will be moving towards.  Having it always drift towards me means that I must be constantly moving to keep it at bay, and I prefer doing that, especially in caves, only when forced to move by opponents.  YMMV.   I'd like to hope that some day, a change will be made and it will have about 7 seconds on the spot I place it, then move swiftly to me rather than a somewhat slow pace.  But reality is reality.  Since Storm Cell will drift towards me regardless, Therefore my tactic should be not only to drop it on a spot where I know or anticipate a lot of enemy to be, but to drop it in a directional path where a lot of enemy will be.

Oh, and the movement isn't exactly "glacial".  I tested it again before writing this just to make sure my memory of it wasn't skewed. Slow, yes. "Glacial", not so much.

As to it vanishing, Storm Cell ends exactly when the button become available again.  I wish more powers worked like that!  While it does have a slight border of steam clouds, these are easy to lose clear visual of in full storm combat mode, especially if there are more storm blasters in the fight.  I've opted to turn on the timer function of the tray controls, and it's beautiful.  I get a countdown on the button icon telling me exactly when the power ends and is available to hit again.  Short of giving PBAoEs the green ring of auto-fire, this is a pretty good solution to knowing when to fire it up again, especially in the chaos of heavy combat when visual cues are fuzzy.

Oh, and keep in mind that Category Five functions as a second Storm Cell, one that stays in place.  While it's respawn is slower,  This gives you a chance to drop something on a mess of enemies, have it stay in place, and keep the damage bonus going until it wears out.

From my own experience the Storm Cell moves fast enough, and recharges fast enough, to be used in successive fights. The ring around the icon gives you a good head-up to cast. I'm just not sure the procs are activating that often - I guess it's because different SB powers give a different % chance to activate them? Not sure.  Other than my skepticism of the proc rate, it seems like a pretty solid set.

I've been told that Storm Cell benefits only apply when the caster is in the radius.  Now I'm being told that they only apply when the target is in the radius.

@Techwright I've used a powexec_location target macro to drop Storm Cell on a mob.  It then seems to follow that mob, almost like a toggle.  Once the mob dies Storm Cell then reverts to following the caster.  I'm a huge fan of Storm Summoning and really, really like Storm Blast (knowing that the damage is lackluster).  I've got a fully IO'd Storm Def at 50, a Storm/Storm Corr at 47, a Storm Blast Sent and Blaster in the 20s, and a Storm Blast/Time Corr in the 30s.

Tech and @OmegaOne I suppose Storm Cell moves quickly enough unless you're on a steam rolling team.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Col. Kernel said:

I've been told that Storm Cell benefits only apply when the caster is in the radius.  Now I'm being told that they only apply when the target is in the radius.

@Techwright I've used a powexec_location target macro to drop Storm Cell on a mob.  It then seems to follow that mob, almost like a toggle.  Once the mob dies Storm Cell then reverts to following the caster.  I'm a huge fan of Storm Summoning and really, really like Storm Blast (knowing that the damage is lackluster).  I've got a fully IO'd Storm Def at 50, a Storm/Storm Corr at 47, a Storm Blast Sent and Blaster in the 20s, and a Storm Blast/Time Corr in the 30s.

Tech and @OmegaOne I suppose Storm Cell moves quickly enough unless you're on a steam rolling team.

I have seen that misconception many times, but rest assured, it only cares about foes in the storm cell.

As for the movement of the pet (storm cell), it's very slow. That's intended and is mostly for flavor while offering some uniqueness in strategies. When using it, it's best to think of it like a patch pseudopet and keep expectations low on how quickly it moves. Sometimes weirdness happens with who the pet chooses to follow, but more often than not the chasing of the storm cell is in your benefit.

For example, you are at max range of a mob and you drop the storm cell on them and fire off Direct Strike. The mob becomes alerted of you and starts to engage you. Instead of the cell remaining where you placed it, it will follow the foes and try to maximize your usage of its benefits. 

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn