Home Town Radio Missions...

Ultimo

Something that's bothered me since back in live is that Radio Missions all eventually say "Events here are beneath your notice."  Shouldn't that be MY choice?  Shouldn't I get to decide what's beneath my notice?

You see, I have many characters, and I usually assign them a "home" zone.  For example, my Batman-type character ostensibly resides in King's Row the way Batman resides in Gotham (both are kind of run down, gritty places), but he can't fight crime there anymore.  The same is true of other characters.

So, my suggestion is that something be done either to make Radio Missions accessible at all levels in all zones (which shouldn't be a problem, since they scale to the character's level anyway), or that we be able to exemplar ourselves DOWN to whatever level we like (so my L50 character to go to King's Row and play at L10, if he so chose).

I think making Radio Missions accessible would probably be easier, but I'm not a programmer.  Either situation would be acceptable.

• Like 6

I'm actually ok with this idea as long as it doesn't somehow lead to high level ambush mobs ganking lowbies in low level areas like back in the day...........ahh good times, anyway yeah this sounds good make the radios select missions from the native foes in that zone too (for immersion or whatever)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

You know, 50 tips & story arcs run all over the city - couldn't the bumped radios run various subsets of the mobs of the appropriate level? (like IP having 5th Column instead of Council in Radios, even at 50, and Atlas having Carnies instead of Arachnos at 50). I'd update the detectives to let people know what enemies can appear, though.

• Like 1

Solution - all contact content is open to all levels to play, when choosing the mission, the mission holder auto exempts down to the level of the mission range max, all teammates exemp to him.

No issues with stretching factions beyond design intent.

No worries about being locked out of content.

Opens up more contacts for varied and play your way approach.

Removes the issues of ouro with the taskforce lock.

Solves the problem with not enough contacts at certain levels.

Not saying it's easy, but it's best. I can choose a contact, I can select a mission, I exemp down without being in TF mode. I complete mission, I exit exemp. I abandon mission, I exit exemp.

I can play any mission arc when I want, but I must be in it's intended range, and I am not locked into TF mode.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, SwitchFade said:

Solution - all contact content is open to all levels to play, when choosing the mission, the mission holder auto exempts down to the level of the mission range max, all teammates exemp to him.

This'd be great to have (and has been requested before (and maybe should be again...)), but the various zones still only allow Radios to be run at the levels of the zone. While this could be set up as a bypass (exemp down to zone level), it wouldn't allow us to run higher characters against the higher level factions that might threaten the zone later (like capturing a Nemesis cell, or saving someone from the Family or Trolls in King's row).  This would be even better if we could do both, and switch between the 2 types by speaking to a detective.

3 hours ago, Akisan said:

This'd be great to have (and has been requested before (and maybe should be again...)), but the various zones still only allow Radios to be run at the levels of the zone. While this could be set up as a bypass (exemp down to zone level), it wouldn't allow us to run higher characters against the higher level factions that might threaten the zone later (like capturing a Nemesis cell, or saving someone from the Family or Trolls in King's row).  This would be even better if we could do both, and switch between the 2 types by speaking to a detective.

The radio is a contact, exactly like all the others. The solution proposed would allow you to open a radio contact in any zone lower than you and accept a mission. Setting it active exemps you down to the max range of the contact. Once complete or abandoned, return to natural level.

This wouldn't be a bypass, it would be the solution to fix all contacts where one would want to enjoy all content from all contacts regardless of level and not warp design of faction or be locked into TF mode, allowing PuG in any zone at any time.

Radios function the same as all others.

11 minutes ago, SwitchFade said:

The radio is a contact, exactly like all the others. The solution proposed would allow you to open a radio contact in any zone lower than you and accept a mission. Setting it active exemps you down to the max range of the contact. Once complete or abandoned, return to natural level.

This wouldn't be a bypass, it would be the solution to fix all contacts where one would want to enjoy all content from all contacts regardless of level and not warp design of faction or be locked into TF mode, allowing PuG in any zone at any time.

Radios function the same as all others.

The reason why we have Ouroboros was because that function either could not be incorporated into the game or was otherwise too difficult to incorporate into the game. If the current devs can do it, great. The Live devs said it essentially wasn't possible at the time though.

8 minutes ago, Rudra said:

The reason why we have Ouroboros was because that function either could not be incorporated into the game or was otherwise too difficult to incorporate into the game. If the current devs can do it, great. The Live devs said it essentially wasn't possible at the time though.

For sure, wasn't possible then, sadly 😱

Here's to hoping the hc devs have updated enough pasta code to make it possible.

Well what about exemplaring ourselves?  I mean, if I team up with a L10 character, I play as if I'm that level.  Couldn't they just make it possible for us to play as if we're teamed with a L10 character?

48 minutes ago, Ultimo said:

Well what about exemplaring ourselves?  I mean, if I team up with a L10 character, I play as if I'm that level.  Couldn't they just make it possible for us to play as if we're teamed with a L10 character?

It's the same thing, just phrased slightly differently. I can't speak for what the current devs can do. The problem back on Live was that there was no way to exemplar a character without another character to exemplar to, except by use of the TF mechanic. Your request has been asked for multiple times by different people. I'm not saying it can't be done now, only the devs can say if it can or can't. I'm just telling you why it wasn't done before, which may well be the same situation as now. Like I said, only the devs actually know.

(Edit: Though I should point out that even if you exemplar down to a lower level character, I'm pretty sure you can't hit up your out-leveled contacts still. So even if the exemplar system as is were to be used somehow, it still wouldn't let players access out-leveled contacts.)

Edited by Rudra

11 hours ago, Ultimo said:

Shouldn't that be MY choice?  Shouldn't I get to decide what's beneath my notice?

You know it's the game mechanics telling you that the opponents that you would be up against would be too weak for you.

Go street sweep if  you want to fight greys.

Plenty of street crime going on.

You see, I have many characters, and I usually assign them a "home" zone.  For example, my Batman-type character ostensibly resides in King's Row the way Batman resides in Gotham (both are kind of run down, gritty places), but he can't fight crime there anymore.  The same is true of other characters.

I seem to have run into this same thread before or at least the same content.

Yes, before Day Jobs, I had places my characters would park. Some parked in specific places in specific parts of THE CITY.

I remember one that I used to park inside of chimney so they could go flying out of it when I started up adventuring for the night with that character.

I think I said it in the other thread about this (been a while, so long ago, that I don't even remember when it was), if you want that character to stay relevant in a zone then turn off your XP before you outlevel it.

We can make thousands of characters. I doesn't take all that long to level and xp lock a character at max level for Kings Row.

If I seriously wanted to xp-cap a character to a zone, I think I would do it mid zone level versus max level for the zone, but that's just me.

So, my suggestion is that something be done either to make Radio Missions accessible at all levels in all zones (which shouldn't be a problem, since they scale to the character's level anyway), or that we be able to exemplar ourselves DOWN to whatever level we like (so my L50 character to go to King's Row and play at L10, if he so chose).

One way you can do this is with a second account with a character xp-locked to the zone. use them the pull the missions that you want to run in the zone. Once you are on a team with them and in the mission, you can leave them outside if you want.

Another way is to find someone at the level for the zone and see if they will run the scanner missions for you.

I'm not against a slider in options that goes up to your current character level that  you can use to reduce your character level, but we all know that if you exemplar down it is not the same as being the level related to the zone or the enemies that inhabit that zone. You will still have powers levels ahead of them if you exemplar down.

I don't see this as being a worthwhile time expenditure for the DEVs. The percentage of the player base that would utilize this would be very low.

• Thumbs Down 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

10 hours ago, SwitchFade said:

No issues with stretching factions beyond design intent.

No worries about being locked out of content.

... no ability to outlevel missions that are too difficult for your AT and build to make them easier...

Since the OP is about radio/paper missions, just have the radio/paper mission list locked to the character's level, not the zone's, so that you can take your 50 to Kings Row and pick up level-50 radio missions there. You could build up advancement with the detective in the zone to a count appropriate to your level, and when you got a safeguard/mayhem, it would be on the map appropriate for that zone, but with mobs appropriate for your level.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, srmalloy said:

... no ability to outlevel missions that are too difficult for your AT and build to make them easier...

Since the OP is about radio/paper missions, just have the radio/paper mission list locked to the character's level, not the zone's, so that you can take your 50 to Kings Row and pick up level-50 radio missions there. You could build up advancement with the detective in the zone to a count appropriate to your level, and when you got a safeguard/mayhem, it would be on the map appropriate for that zone, but with mobs appropriate for your level.

Gonna be kinda weird to fight Carnies, Malta, and other factions with no presence in KR in KR. Not saying that is a reason to not, just saying it's going to feel weird. To me at least.

14 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Gonna be kinda weird to fight Carnies, Malta, and other factions with no presence in KR in KR. Not saying that is a reason to not, just saying it's going to feel weird. To me at least.

You don't get sent to KR for door missions against Nemesis, Rikti, Council, Carnies, Freakshow, and other higher-level groups? There is a mission in the Manticore TF that has always, in my experience, been in KR, and I've never seen Crey in the zone. Radio/paper missions are always door missions; there shouldn't be any reason why you can't get a level-50 radio mission against the Carnies in KR, just like there's no reason why Harvey Maylor can't send you to KR to check out Carnies in a warehouse.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, srmalloy said:
26 minutes ago, Rudra said:

You don't get sent to KR for door missions against Nemesis, Rikti, Council, Carnies, Freakshow, and other higher-level groups? There is a mission in the Manticore TF that has always, in my experience, been in KR, and I've never seen Crey in the zone. Radio/paper missions are always door missions; there shouldn't be any reason why you can't get a level-50 radio mission against the Carnies in KR, just like there's no reason why Harvey Maylor can't send you to KR to check out Carnies in a warehouse.

Not to the best of my recollection. I don't recall any level 50 missions sending me to KR. (Level 30 with its Council, Freakshow, et al? Yeah. Not level 50 though.)

And like I said, I didn't make that comment to say not to do that. I'm fine with it. All I was saying is that it is going to feel weird to me.

I get missions from contacts in FF, Brickstown, and PI that send me to doors in Atlas Park; there are no villain groups any of those contacts would be pointing me at who would ever be seen on the streets of that zone. Zone levels are irrelevant to door missions, except that you don't get sent into zones above your level range, and you'll never get a programmed ambush in AP.

1 hour ago, srmalloy said:

I get missions from contacts in FF, Brickstown, and PI that send me to doors in Atlas Park; there are no villain groups any of those contacts would be pointing me at who would ever be seen on the streets of that zone. Zone levels are irrelevant to door missions, except that you don't get sent into zones above your level range, and you'll never get a programmed ambush in AP.

*sigh* I get sent to Atlas Park, Skyway City, Steel Canyon, Independence Port, and Talos island at pretty much all levels. It's just Kings Row that I pretty much never see past level 30-something. Anyway, how did this turn into an argument? All I said was that it would feel weird to me, not that I was against it. In fact, in both posts for this particular discussion, I made a point of stating I was not against it. I am not arguing against it, yet it seems like you think I am.

2 hours ago, Rudra said:

*sigh* I get sent to Atlas Park, Skyway City, Steel Canyon, Independence Port, and Talos island at pretty much all levels. It's just Kings Row that I pretty much never see past level 30-something. Anyway, how did this turn into an argument? All I said was that it would feel weird to me, not that I was against it. In fact, in both posts for this particular discussion, I made a point of stating I was not against it. I am not arguing against it, yet it seems like you think I am.

But...

Do you like pie?

15 hours ago, srmalloy said:

This is basically what I meant from the start.  Since the mission scales to whatever level you are, why restrict us from going in them?  AE missions also scale to the character... so I didn't think it would be an issue to use the same systems to make it work for radio missions.

10 minutes ago, biostem said:

If you use Ouroboros to knock yourself down to the appropriate level for a zone, can you grab radios from there or interact with other contacts, or will you get the typical "You're too busy atm" type of response?

Just like when on a TF/SF, your contacts window is emptied of all contacts other than the Ouroboros arc's contact. (Edit: Even the Find Contact button is disabled.)

Edited by Rudra
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, srmalloy said:

This makes more sense to me.

You can get level 50 Tips in Altas, so why not level 50 scanner missions in Kings Row?

I don't know the coding involved, but this seems to be a simpler "fix" than a level slider in the options menu.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.