Discord: what am I missing?

Techwright

I'm generally not one to spread out my communications for a game between multiple social links.  In the case of CoH, the forums have been sufficient.  That said, I've seen a few recent forum references to the Discord site for things CoH, so two questions:

1. What is a dyed-in-the-wool forumite missing by not also hanging out at the Discord canteen?

2. Is it exclusive to Homecoming, or do the other CoH knockof emulators share the discussion?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t know about “hanging out” per se, but I’ve found (and been told) that if you need real time support, it’s best to go to discord rather than the forums. This would be for things like where the sorceress gets stuck on walls on the Katie Hannon tf, or defeat all missions where one or more mob has fallen outside the geometry, etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

I'm generally not one to spread out my communications for a game between multiple social links.  In the case of CoH, the forums have been sufficient.  That said, I've seen a few recent forum references to the Discord site for things CoH, so two questions:

1. What is a dyed-in-the-wool forumite missing by not also hanging out at the Discord canteen?

2. Is it exclusive to Homecoming, or do the other CoH knockof emulators share the discussion?

1. There are sections with build discussions etc and sometimes(not often really imo) there can be info there that isnt necessarily imparted here.  Some use it for other social things or voice chat in some missions(though most dont.. or have their own super group discord etc).

2. Im sure there may be some players of other coh servers that come on HC's discord usually because they're playing HC servers, but its primarily an HC locale.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Techwright said:

I have only found Discord useful for hard content.  Of course it can be fun to chat and run casual with friends. One guild I was with (now pretty much graveyard) used to run nightly content and weekly incarnate badge runs. Listening on Discord was required for hard stuff.  

For other uses, meh

• Like 1

Discord: what am I missing?

Taking this thread title literally I'm thinking a sonic corruptor with oodles of +toHit and +Acc

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

I never require Discord for anything I run, but some league leaders do and probably have a better success rate with some of the tougher badges (I'm looking at you, Triple Threat). I really don't like Discord. Having said that, I scan through several COH related Discords and by and large there's nothing you are missing out on. The most active Discord I am in is for some of the Excelsior league leaders, and we coordinate who's running Hami in the Abyss, and debate whether Margot Robbie is mid.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Oklahoman, Okie, Vayne Glorious, Sooner Magic, Treehugging Wacko, Boy Band, etc

Farming Incarnate Salvage - 1 salvage roll every 15 minutes!  ||  Why NO TELLS to join your little MSR thing?

Using DEMORECORD To Find Who Is Sabotaging Lambda Badge Runs  ||  https://www.twitch.tv/oklahomancoh

Excelsior Bases: The Sooner State (OK-8602), Atlas Records (ROCK-29730), Generic Heroes (G-16581), Sooner Nation (SOONER-8490)

In all honestly, the biggest advantage of Discord is being able to access numerous different groups beyond the Homecoming community in a single website.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

1 hour ago, Oklahoman said:

I never require Discord for anything I run, but some league leaders do and probably have a better success rate with some of the tougher badges (I'm looking at you, Triple Threat). I really don't like Discord. Having said that, I scan through several COH related Discords and by and large there's nothing you are missing out on. The most active Discord I am in is for some of the Excelsior league leaders, and we coordinate who's running Hami in the Abyss, and debate whether Margot Robbie is mid.

You are awesome!  A true leader in the community.  And I have never heard you insult Pandas!  (current events...)

Seriously though, I have gotten Triple Threat and Really Hard Way on your Leagues.  Triple Threat is a pain even with top players all on Discord.  It is a crapshoot at the last second due to game mechanics.  Set it up perfect and its still in the hands of RNGeebus.

Margot is top shelf.  Well, I have a serious weakness for overconfident crazy people.  And it does not hurt she is smoking.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let's face it, if you took all the women named in gamer discord channels and laid them end to end, nobody would be even remotely surprised

Edited by Scarlet Shocker
  • Thanks 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

40 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Let's face it, if you took all the women named in gamer discord channels and laid them end to end, nobody would be even remotely surprised

Anne Parillaud (Innocent Blood 1992) wonderful movie considering the budget etc.  great cast and good cinematography telling a fast moving story.  

remotely surprised?  lost?

8 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Anne Parillaud (Innocent Blood 1992) wonderful movie considering the budget etc.  great cast and good cinematography telling a fast moving story.  

remotely surprised?  lost?

Great movie and don't worry about it 😉

1 hour ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

I don't know about Discord, but as someone who runs a board gaming group for the past 11 years, you would be surprised how wrong the perception is that women don't play games.

Edited by Without_Pause

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

59 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

I don't know about Discord, but as someone who runs a board gaming group for the past 11 years, you would be surprised how wrong the perception is that women don't play games.

Which is not what I said. Thankyou for your input

1 hour ago, Without_Pause said:

i have witnessed many a bored gaming group and i think they needed more women

1 hour ago, Without_Pause said:

Perhaps it's my age or whatnot, but I grew up in an era when you didn't talk about your race/ethnicity/gender/sexual orientation or other such factors online.  It's also why I loathe voice chat.  I want to interact with others on a footing that is absent of any preconceived notions, expectations, or stereotypes - let each person's skill, knowledge, and behavior speak for itself!

• Thumbs Up 1

Discord is NEVER required for the game.

The Mids people might disagree.  But I don't care.
To play the game, you don't need it.

So?  Why do *I* keep it around?
We have a bot monitoring our primary channel and gives us access to talk to people in-game without being logged into the game 24x7.  Which would be awkward.
Also, I stream my Wednesday night mothership raid.

• Like 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

• Game Master
On 7/20/2023 at 7:42 PM, Techwright said:

Discord can be useful for a more immediate reply. GM's hang about on there a lot more so if you ping @game master the chances of instant help increase. We don't always see tickets quickly. There are also discussion channels for different aspects of the game, plus voice channels so you can invite people to a team and chat to them in real time if you wish without any specific apps. The disadvantage to Discord is it scrolls up endlessly and posts get lost in the mist of time. Forums are more useful for debates or bugs or suggestions.

As for other iterations of CoX. They have their own discord channels. We use one for Homecoming and it's exclusively ours. Players have their own discords too, and a lot of the big SG's and roleplaying groups have ones specifically for themselves so they can plan events, hang out and do whatever they do without any interference or oversight from the HC team. 

• Thanks 2