I want to talk Storm Summoning

Story Archer

Hurricane -was- a foundational power for Storm Summoning.  It still is for Defenders, maybe Controllers also.

But as a Corruptor or MM, you want to build for offense.  So most players these days drop Hurricane, double down on +Recharge powers (even Burnout) and procs, and just go full offense.  Double LS, Double Tornado every single spawn, and triple to quad with Burnout flipped on.  You'll suck END like nobody's business but so many ways to offset that these days between procs and Amplifiers until you get Destiny>Ageless.  It's just silly to build out any other way unless you just enjoy taking "the scenic routes" to cleaning up spawns.  

I've played both ways and there's just little need for Hurricane in the current game on a Corruptor.  Why push them around when you can just destroy them outright?

Are there any videos out there showing the mad skills these Hurricane users have?  Because whenever I used it I just created scattered mobs.  I know push them into a corner, but there's often not a corner available.  Push them into a wall and some go left, others go right, and even with a corner some will run right through the Hurricane and get pushed out the other side, creating more scatter.  The tick rate on the repel is too low.  If we could have the original version of Hurricane with the much faster tick rate, from before it was lowered for PvP reasons, I'd probably take it and love it.  The version we have now is more skippable for me.

Teach me senpai.

On 10/7/2023 at 7:36 PM, carroto said:

Are there any videos out there showing the mad skills these Hurricane users have?  Because whenever I used it I just created scattered mobs.  I know push them into a corner, but there's often not a corner available.  Push them into a wall and some go left, others go right, and even with a corner some will run right through the Hurricane and get pushed out the other side, creating more scatter.  The tick rate on the repel is too low.  If we could have the original version of Hurricane with the much faster tick rate, from before it was lowered for PvP reasons, I'd probably take it and love it.  The version we have now is more skippable for me.

Teach me senpai.

I do not recall any unfortunately in part I suspect because we are talking the very early days of that technology as well as the changes you mention.

7 hours ago, ChocolateMercenary said:

I hear the hate for Hurricane, but does "Sudden Acceleration: Knockback to Knockdown" do anything to help with it?

I do not believe any changes to knock have changed how Repel works so the answer is no.  Most of the effect causing scatter is based on the Repel effect.  The knock has a very small chance to occur (5% per pulse) making it very random, unpredictable and even if knocked down the foes would be repelled away by the Repel effect.  So no that's not a place for that IO (or anything similar).

• 2 weeks later
On 10/7/2023 at 4:36 PM, carroto said:

Teach me senpai.

Back before PvP was introduced and the devs were forced to look at Hurricane, it was overpowered. It was a consistent pushback that made it easy to control where mobs moved to, instead of the pulsing thing we have now.

Then PvP happened and the devs and players both got to see how overpowered Hurricane was. Which ended in the changes.

• 2 weeks later

So much misinformation:

First gale  in conjunction with steamy mist means most of the time you get the jump on them to knock them down. Even if you only hit a third of the spawn, that means the alpha strike from the spawn is 1/3 less. I slot for acc, KB>KD, and FF +recharge (that's 100% recharge bonus for the number crunchers).

O2 at higher levels is a potent heal. I usually do not bother to try to buff the whole team for end drain resistance, but your blasters can appreciate that aspect.

Snowstorm is much maligned. Yes it's a aoe slow, and it has -fly. What most non-storm users and many stormers themselves do not know is that snowstorm is the great interrupter. Spawns in snow storms do not self-destruct (Embalmed vahz, CoT mages) do not set up force field generators ( sky raiders) do not summon allies (rikti comm officers). There are more I am forgetting. Combined with a stray tarpatch or glue arrow, snowstorm is arguably a hold, and reduces incoming damage significantly.

Like most powers, teams can get the most advantage to the team playing to individual members strengths, this includes corner pulls by tanks, fold space for blasters' nukes, and even stormies' hurricane. Why do tanks pull to the center of a room and not to a corner? pure laziness is my thought. Look at the Imperious Task Force. The standard operandi on Romulous at the last battle is to PULL to the doors.... why? It leverages, the taunts, the aoes, and the defense and heal auras and leadership boosts. Telling a stormy he cannot use herdicane is tantamount to telling a blaster he can't hover blast. It's simply vinidictive and arbitrary.

IMHO, thunderclap isn't worth the animation time nor the placement proximity required.

Freezing Rain, Tornado and LIghtning storm continue to be the big 3 even in a storm blast world of Homecoming.

OH yeah, one last dig, all my stormies are defenders or trollers.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 months later

I'm late to this discussion but I have numerous lvl 50 stormies so here are my thoughts for whatever that's worth:

Gale: Yes - I open almost every attack with it and at the least slot it with a KB - KD.

O2 Boost: Skippable but if I take it I slot it with Preventative Med Chance for Absorb

Snow Storm: I always take but just put a End Red in it. Anything to slow down an AV or EB and their neighbors is good.

Steamy Mist: Yes! Slot with LoTG 7.5% and then whatever other great DEF or RESIST procs and their Resist/End counterparts work.

Freezing Rain: Frankenslot this with various damage procs and a Recharge Red IO. It is the second power I cast after Gale.

Hurricane: Situational but great, at least for me, in the right situation keeping in mind not to make a mess of everything for your melee teammates.

Thunderclap: Skip

Tornado: Again Frankenslot this.

Lightning Storm: Love getting multiples of this out. Sometimes I'll put a KD proc in it and whatever set I feel the given character needs to help soft spots in stats.

Have fun!

On 2/10/2024 at 1:34 PM, TivoManiac said:

I'm late to this discussion but I have numerous lvl 50 stormies so here are my thoughts for whatever that's worth:

Gale: Yes - I open almost every attack with it and at the least slot it with a KB - KD.

O2 Boost: Skippable but if I take it I slot it with Preventative Med Chance for Absorb

Snow Storm: I always take but just put a End Red in it. Anything to slow down an AV or EB and their neighbors is good.

Steamy Mist: Yes! Slot with LoTG 7.5% and then whatever other great DEF or RESIST procs and their Resist/End counterparts work.

Freezing Rain: Frankenslot this with various damage procs and a Recharge Red IO. It is the second power I cast after Gale.

Hurricane: Situational but great, at least for me, in the right situation keeping in mind not to make a mess of everything for your melee teammates.

Thunderclap: Skip

Tornado: Again Frankenslot this.

Lightning Storm: Love getting multiples of this out. Sometimes I'll put a KD proc in it and whatever set I feel the given character needs to help soft spots in stats.

Have fun!

What do you think of the test server changes? And what AT do you recommend on storm? I think defender might be the best, but I enjoy playing a corruptor or blaster more in general.

It really just depends on your play style. I have a total of 113 lvl 50 characters between old live and Homecomming. Of those 23 are storm with 7 controllers, 7 defenders, 6 corruptors and 3 MM. The last was a Demon/Storm MM and it is a lot of fun. My favorite is my Illusion/Storm controller. If  you want to feel like you are playing 2 controllers at the same time try earth/storm the havoc you can create is lots of fun as well just very hard to solo with it but great if you like to support your team.

• 2 weeks later
On 2/11/2024 at 5:04 PM, TinyJuggs said:

What do you think of the test server changes? And what AT do you recommend on storm? I think defender might be the best, but I enjoy playing a corruptor or blaster more in general.

Played my Storm/Water and stacking FR on romans for -80 resist is pretty hillarious. Gale > Water burst for the recharge and KD and either nuke/LS and cast tornado off cooldown. Pretty much nothing survived and the fasted +4 Rommie takedown x 4 ive seen in a minute. (we also had a Kin)

8 hours ago, bustacap said:

Played my Storm/Water and stacking FR on romans for -80 resist is pretty hillarious. Gale > Water burst for the recharge and KD and either nuke/LS and cast tornado off cooldown. Pretty much nothing survived and the fasted +4 Rommie takedown x 4 ive seen in a minute. (we also had a Kin)

We'd a ridiculous Reunion "Beat a +4 Kill Most ITF in 41 mins with a PuG" run about a week ago spawned from some guy trash talking on LFG. I was the Kin on that one, I'd just logged on to craft some stuff but once I saw that guy spouting things like "It'll take you an hour to get through the 2nd mission alone" and was like "Right then, crafting you can wait. I want in on that."

That was an immense run. No tactics at all other than kill. Didn't even bother moving Rommie to his traditional spot by the door, just murdered him in the courtyard. 

-Resist + a Kin is silly. -80 resists means +80% of the FINAL damage figure. So with a Kin doubling everyone's damage you're nearly doubling it again. 100 base damage (normally about 195 when slotted up) becomes 400 (or more depending on damage buff cap) with Kinetics. -80 resist adds another 320 damage to that. 720 damage in total. Lunacy! It's why all Support teams are so loopy. 

• Thanks 1