Super Strength/Hurl: give it the same AoE Knockback as Propel

Biff Pow

That makes no sense. If I rip a chunk out of the ground and throw it at you, unless my aim is just horrible, it's going to smash you in the face and not your friends. So realistically, that just wouldn't happen. Having said that...

I like the idea.

if you pulled rock from the ground,  it is brittle enough past plasticity (like metal, in that ground lifted doesn't come up like gum and snap back)

it is prone to shatter on impact --> clumpy shrapnel.

a grenade breaks brittle from catastrophic expansion of its innards - it is shattered to shrapnel before it can heat enough to behave as plastic (it doesnt resemble a balloon popping in slow mo).

so can rock, tarmac, chunk of earth hit someone and cause collateral outcome / be aoe? sure. ricochet, shrapnel, bounce.

like if you propelled a fork lift at someone, one does not want to be near that.

7 hours ago, Solarverse said:

That makes no sense. If I rip a chunk out of the ground and throw it at you, unless my aim is just horrible, it's going to smash you in the face and not your friends. So realistically, that just wouldn't happen. Having said that...

I like the idea.

That very much depends on the size of ground being ripped up and thrown. And the size of ground being ripped up and thrown in the game looks to be large enough to hit the target and anything right next to it. So maybe a 1-2 feet radius. However, please bear in mind that I am very, very, very bad at guesstimating area and distance. (Edit: However, I should note that if the chunk is big enough to knock down adjacent targets, it is also big enough to damage adjacent targets. They would after all, be knocked down by impact with the rock.)

Edit again: Also, to @honoroit, if the rock is fragmenting and showering nearby targets with shrapnel from having shattered upon impact, that would cause damage, yes, but not likely a KD effect. Chance for Stun in case a shard hits the head, but not a KD. Especially since those fragments would not be traveling anywhere near as fast as most shrapnel pieces. They would just be (relatively) slow moving chunks spraying the nearby targets.

Edited by Rudra
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Rudra said:

That very much depends on the size of ground being ripped up and thrown. And the size of ground being ripped up and thrown in the game looks to be large enough to hit the target and anything right next to it. So maybe a 1-2 feet radius. However, please bear in mind that I am very, very, very bad at guesstimating area and distance. (Edit: However, I should note that if the chunk is big enough to knock down adjacent targets, it is also big enough to damage adjacent targets. They would after all, be knocked down by impact with the rock.)

Edit again: Also, to @honoroit, if the rock is fragmenting and showering nearby targets with shrapnel from having shattered upon impact, that would cause damage, yes, but not likely a KD effect. Chance for Stun in case a shard hits the head, but not a KD. Especially since those fragments would not be traveling anywhere near as fast as most shrapnel pieces. They would just be (relatively) slow moving chunks spraying the nearby targets.

relatively slow moving, but probably heavy.

shrapnel from a grenade is relatively slow moving versus the time mark of imparted velocity for concussive wave init, and the wave slows to shake the air (i.e. concussion expends energy). its more complicated than that, because the concussive blast fans or pushes the shrapnel to accellerate it, then drops off, it moves past the pieces of metal.

in our example, the rock/object shatters or fraents on impact, and bits are thrown away, accelerating to a speed, then slowing down.  

to your point, a core difference is there isnt an inner force that drives the object off, and much force is lost to split pieces, and let them have momentum.  dangerous pieces might travel in a cone forward, while lesser fragmented rock bits might simply fall, or plink backwards. we just have force redistribution in this case.

however, in paragon, we also have to contend with 'the target has a 40k rosarius / personal force field, and that knocked the rock the f-back.  so, maybe very dangwrous pieces.

what we dont know, past trying to measure the flight time and guess the materials and mass/weight in paragon city is - how heavy was that bastard.

all in all, im sticking with - you dont want to be near one 😀

Edited by honoroit
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, honoroit said:

all in all, im sticking with - you dont want to be near one 😀

Oh, I definitely agree with you. For the OP though? The shrapnel wouldn't really justify a KB or KD effect. While several chunks would be heavy, their combined weight and speed wouldn't be sufficient to knock even a normal human down. (Edit: Not unless the rock didn't fragment into small shards, but instead broke up into like maybe thirds.) Cringe, dodge, duck, or otherwise try to avoid being hit by the shrapnel? Most definitely. Suffer minor lacerations and (probably) sizable bruises? Also definitely. Be stunned or otherwise rendered unable to fight? Only if the head is struck with a sizable chunk.

So yeah, being adjacent to something having a large rock/small boulder smashed on it? Not something I (or I would reason any sane person) would want to be around. (Assuming I'm sane here, but bear with me on this assumption.) Hurl having an AoE KB or KD? I believe it would have to be a very small radius for the rock itself hitting as an AoE rather than any shrapnel the shattered rock may generate.

Edited by Rudra

41 minutes ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

OP wants this ability to work like propel.

Does anyone know how damage procs affect the aoe KB/KD of propel offhand?

I'm not sure what you mean with that question. However, if the question is about the damage from said procs, I don't think it does? Bear in mind I'm not a Controller player, so there is a high chance I'm wrong, but Propel is flagged as taking both damage and knockback enhancements (https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=controller_control.gravity_control.propel&at=controller). So I'm gonna go out on this limb and say the damage procs themselves, other than those that specifically affect KB, won't affect it. (Edit: And the AoE portion of Propel is a KD effect instead of a KB effect anyway. Mag 0.67 KB.)

Edited by Rudra

40 minutes ago, kelika2 said:

i played grav 4 times and i never noticed an aoe knockback

so we are already there

Propel has a 15 feet radius Mag 0.67 KB effect so it is really a KD effect. If the targets have any KB protection at all, you won't see it.