Is Volcanic Gasses a reliable AoE hold and does Domination boost it?

ninja surprise

Looking at Volcanic Gasses in Mids and trying to figure out how well it works...

It says it has a 60 sec duration and the slotted Mag 3 Hold is ~8 seconds, plus a 1s Mag 50 fear?

Does this mean things walking through the patch have a chance of being held for 8 seconds, then they can start moving and maybe get held again?

Does Dom boost the hold mag and duration?

Is it really worth taking or stick with Stalagmites? It's pretty much Perma with 27s recharge and 36s duration.

But I like dropping Earthquakes and Gasses to block hallways and catching ambushes unawares.

Second question: is it worth damage proc'ing Earthquake? Or would they just fire once on drop?

DOMINATION DOES NOT EFFECT VOLCANIC GASSES

caps intended.

my earth/earth just melee smashes stuff that sometimes crowd controls.

quicksand is amazing at lower levels because of autohit -tohit

quake is a decent soft control

stalag for when things get too hot

i did not take volcanic since long cooldown

and yes for your third question, seismic smash does [Domination]

• Thumbs Up 1

I take volcanic gasses. It's a good mule for +recharge sets like Basilisks. It's also quite effective in busy screens because, even though it doesn't benefit from domination, it sometimes double stacks on bosses and holds them anyways. 

It's a lot like earthquake in the sense that sometimes mobs will be able to hit something through it. But, like earthquake, it tends to noticeably slow down the rate of incoming attacks. It's also a very good "fire and forget" power when you've got multiple spawns in an area and you can't clear out the area for a fair while. A small amount of animation time leads to holds being applied to mobs for a long time. Also, when there are lots of spawns about it allows for controls to be applied to a larger total number of mobs than could be done if you didn't take it. 

Edited by EnjoyTheJourney
  • Like 3

Volcanic Gasses is a pulsing hold with a long duration where not everything gets held at the same time. It spawns a 15-second duration pseudo-pet (Volcanic Geyser) every 10 seconds. Each pseudo-pet generates a 7.45-second, mag 3 hold with a 10-foot radius and 5-target max every 6 seconds. In addition, Volcanic Gasses also spawns a 60-second duration pseudo-pet (Volcanic Ground) that generates a 75% chance of fire damage and 100% chance of fear every 2 seconds.

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=dominator_control.earth_control.volcanic_gasses&at=dominator

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Depending on the content you play it is hands down the best aoe hold.

For large battles that persist awhile, or more mobs join in, it will do a lot of work. It can hold bosses (lvl 54) on its own.

It can be perma in such big battles. It is also very fast cast and can be cast blind/around corners.

* It is also very good against AVs solo. Stoney tanks them and Gasses holds them when the triangles drop. No need to spam you extremely slow st hold, so you do more dps

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Uun said:

Volcanic Gasses is a pulsing hold with a long duration where not everything gets held at the same time. It spawns a 15-second duration pseudo-pet (Volcanic Geyser) every 10 seconds. Each pseudo-pet generates a 7.45-second, mag 3 hold with a 10-foot radius and 5-target max every 6 seconds. In addition, Volcanic Gasses also spawns a 60-second duration pseudo-pet (Volcanic Ground) that generates a 75% chance of fire damage and 100% chance of fear every 2 seconds.

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=dominator_control.earth_control.volcanic_gasses&at=dominator

I wonder how the devs came up with this super convoluted power?

7 hours ago, Onlyasandwich said:

Because of the way it summons pets that carry their own little holds, it does surprising damage with hold procs. It's probably the aoe hold I'm least likely to skip. 

Right on, that proc chance was one of my big questions.

• Thumbs Up 1

its really nice (on controller) with time's little hold bubble, as you can get mag stacking off two pseudopet patches.

but thats at like 5% per tick to hold, while volcanic gasses spawns cents, those having 100% chance to do their hold cast.

Screenshot_20231104_045923.thumb.jpg.5d1f01b2e1ef29066741f350cbb96efc.jpg

Figs - magitek phenom and earth magic 🎩

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later
On 11/4/2023 at 9:02 AM, honoroit said:

its really nice (on controller) with time's little hold bubble, as you can get mag stacking off two pseudopet patches.

Yep I have an Earth / Time Controller that can lock down everything but defeats nothing.

So I'm trying it on a Dom to get mez + damage.  And I like the AoE stuns in Earth and Illusion the most - they are super fast animations.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/25/2023 at 12:54 PM, ninja surprise said:

Yep I have an Earth / Time Controller that can lock down everything but defeats nothing.

So I'm trying it on a Dom to get mez + damage.  And I like the AoE stuns in Earth and Illusion the most - they are super fast animations.

Very true.  Stalagmites animates and effects the spawn very quickly which takes all the non-boss types out of the picture and  makes moving in and following up with Thunderclap (Earth/Storm) much safer.  And that usually takes out essentially everyone while Rocky and I pummel any bosses with a pair of Seismic Smash attacks plus the rest of /Storms damage goes to work.