Replacement for DeTexturizer?

Seeing as how PK's Tools have been wiped from the face of the earth as if Thanos himself snapped them out of existence entirely, does anybody have a copy of them, more specifically a copy of DeTexturizer or some other solution for texture modding? Thanks in advance!

Edited by Lady Victory - The Watch

I have a copy of DeTexturizer but I am hesitant to share since I am not the author.

Prior to the availability of DeTexturizer, I wrote my own (simple) Python script to de-texturize texture files for my own personal use (and still use it regularly). If Python users would like me to share the code, just let me know.

Otherwise, I am certain Michiyo's replacement tool will be fantastic, so the best option is probably to wait for that.

• 2 weeks later
  • 1 month later
  • City Council

Oof wow, I posted that in November, and here it is January... End of year / start of year are always super busy for me, sorry for the delays... I have 6 projects this weekend that have to finish before Monday, so it's unlikely I'll have time to work on this for a bit. 😞

• 2 months later
  • City Council

https://mods.cityofheroes.dev/texturetools/TextureTools.zip

Finally 5 months later... I'm releasing the first version of "CoH Texture Tools", see I'm great with naming stuff... *cough*
With this you can convert from .texture -> .dds (or .jpg for loading screens), This will dump a .json file with the "header" of the .texture file allowing you to re-texture the modified file, you can do an entire folder or single file.
You can, of course do the reverse, take a .dds (and .json) and re-texture-ize it.

The "Converter" Tab, allows you to convert .dds files to png, (From DDS), or from (most) image formats into .dds!  Currently it supports either DXT5, or No compression which should take care of most textures. for UI (Icons, maps, or other User Interface stuff) use "None", for everything else try DXT5.  Make sure to not enable MipMaps for UI textures.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Jack Power said:

could someone explain what this is used for?

In the simplest terms, it is used for modifying (modding) in-game textures, be they maps, costumes, billboards, or any of the other textures you might see in-game.

Individual game textures come in .texture format, and they contain the actual image plus a couple of layers of headers that the game needs in order to apply them properly in-game. Texture files can't be manipulated directly in programs like PhotoShop or GIMP (as far as I know), but if you remove those headers, then you gain access to the image which can then be modified. You then need to re-attach those headers in order to make it usable by the game again, and this tool assists with all of that.

Cool!

That's what I thought, but thanks for the confirmation. These changes are just for the player right? Wouldn't think it be ok for some random player to change anything for the entire playerbase.

Is there som old gallery with examples of what the comunity has done with this?

//Jack

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well I have others.”

― Groucho Marx

39 minutes ago, Jack Power said:

These changes are just for the player right?

Correct, these only change things client-side and the individual user is the only one that sees the changes. As far as examples, the big one I can think of is vidiotmaps. I don't use this particular tool to update vidiotmaps because I developed my workflow before this or the previous DeTexturizer tool were available, but the set of tools I use does essentially the same thing.

• City Council

Of course, I found a bug with this release in the handling of MipMaps, will be fixed, and we get to see if the auto update function works...