Winter Event 2023

Groovy_Ghoul

8 hours ago, DougGraves said:

You have to specify which definition you are using.

No, I really don't. I'm not a pedant so I don't care about specious or semantic arguments. The information in the link is official, which was the request that you made in the post that I was replying to.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

14 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

You say that like it is a bad thing

Oh, c'mon man! Now you're just trying to get me in trouble. You know darn well I can't respond to that without getting another involuntary forum vacation.

Man. I'm getting this weird sense of deja vu.

• Like 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

49 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Oh, c'mon man! Now you're just trying to get me in trouble. You know darn well I can't respond to that without getting another involuntary forum vacation.

Man. I'm getting this weird sense of deja vu.

Vampires are in fact creatures of habit.  So i am not surprised.  Except....it is nearly verbatim and that is odd.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, srmalloy said:

If you get a 'naughty' result, you get a spawn of snowmen, scaling with the size of the team you're on — that's how you can try to spawn a Winter Lord. If you get a 'nice result, you get a candy cane, a chance for a Present inspiration, and a chance for one of the special rewards — Snowball, a Jingle Jet, Instant Snowstorm, or Build Snow Beast. So you already can't get a reward if the mobs are standing.

Then possibly there needs to be a "curse" related to the mob until the mob is arrested. A slow effect that is generated on the character that opened the present until all members of the mob are defeated.

There should be some way to mitigate the behavior.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

2 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Then possibly there needs to be a "curse" related to the mob until the mob is arrested. A slow effect that is generated on the character that opened the present until all members of the mob are defeated.

I think the spawns should continue following the character, no matter where they go.  Eventually they will have to deal with their own mess, or the mess will get so large that it will deal with them.

• Haha 1

On 12/5/2023 at 3:43 AM, FrauleinMental said:

The chalet is open year-round...useful for spending all those Candy Canes.  I mostly use them on Light of Renewal (20 Canes per 8 days from the Candy Keeper), which has a separate cooldown from Renewal of Light / Return to Battle (from the P2W Vendor).  It occasionally comes in handy with a squishy character.

After the revamp to Hover, I was able to get all the ski badges with just Flight + Hover (or Mystic Flight + Hover) after a few practice runs on each course.

Exactly how does that work?  Hover's faster than I remember it being on live, but not *that* fast.   What am I missing?

29 minutes ago, Rikmach said:

Exactly how does that work?  Hover's faster than I remember it being on live, but not *that* fast.   What am I missing?

They are using Flight and Hover both at the same time, which is possible these days.  Travel toggles are no longer mutually exclusive.  In that case, Fly speed will come from whichever power has better fly speed, which is Fly... of course.  But Hover adds MovementControl which makes Flying a lot more maneuverable.

• Thanks 2

On 12/7/2023 at 12:35 AM, UltraAlt said:

I'd suggest a carrot combined with the stick. What if there was a badge for NOT ditching the spawns?

And definitely one for cleaning up after other people!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

Ok. Screwing around today with opening presents.  It doesn't seem to have an effect on when the present respawns if you clean up a mob after a naughty result or just leave it.  The spawn gets removed on the respawn unless a WL is there.  He doesn't leave until forcibly removed, but iirc,  the present will come back.

About five minutes between clicking and respawn. 

Edited by lemming

As Kazran Sardick would say:

On every world, wherever people are, in the deepest part of the winter, at the exact mid-point, everybody stops and turns and hugs, as if to say, well done. Well done, everyone. We're halfway out of the dark...

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

On 12/9/2023 at 5:41 PM, DoctorDitko said:

What if there was a badge for NOT ditching the spawns?

And definitely one for cleaning up after other people!

How about several badges?

100 Frostlings defeated - Coal in my Stocking?

250 Frostlings defeated - Naughty can be Ice

500 Frostlings defeated - Snow Cones for Everyone!

1000 Frostlings defeated - Snowplow of Justice

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

That name again is Mister Plow.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

7 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

That is *too cool!*

Oh, no!  I said it!

• Haha 1

@Super Whatsit

Superbase passcode (Excelsior) is "passcode-6475"

It's all a Nemesis plot.  But not everything is a Nemesis plot!

• 3 weeks later

Just noticed -- as of today -- the presents are still around, but Atlas has thawed.

24 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

Just noticed -- as of today -- the presents are still around, but Atlas has thawed.

I think some things are on a timer, and others are waiting until tomorrow's maintenance window.  So you can still do Father Time, but can't buy the Snowbeast costume.

On 12/11/2023 at 3:09 PM, UltraAlt said:

I was thinking that as I was farming presents the other day. But you have to realise one thing - if 1000 thousand frostlings lead to a badge the whiners are going to have 1 less thing to whine about, unless they start whining about too many people opening presents to clear frostlings (don't say you weren't warned). I for one though am all for those badges to be implemented.

And in my informal testing,  it hardly matters if you clear the spawns or not to have a present respawn.  I normally had my alt account follow along with an AOE on auto though since it's still nicer to cleanup.

When a WL spawns, it will spawn at a location of a present.  I'm not sure if the present needs to be there or not, but the notice of a spawn was after I clicked on a present somewhere else in the zone.  I saw the notice after a nice and a naughty result, but there was one other person in zone, so not 100% sure it doesn't matter.

And 200 presents is still a large number that I wouldn't mind seeing down to 100.   Still takes a bit of an investment of time of running around and in a crowded zone more difficult.

• Thumbs Up 1