The Officially Unofficial Weekly Discussion #57: Souvenirs - do you read them? What is your favorite?

DougGraves

What I'd *like* with them is an option to go back and read all the clues/dialog that came up during the mission, honestly. The summary is nice and all, but you miss quite a bit.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Very interesting topic, DougGraves - and I empathize completely with your take on it, Greycat.  My Boys have generally got in about the sixty-plus souvenirs level each; I really enjoy running the mission arcs and do the best I can to make sure I get the big-ticket ones - meaning where there's an Elite Boss/Arch-Villain to scrap at the end.  Hence my fondness for the Striga Isle/Faultline quadrologies, especially where we get to do the James Bond blow-up-the-bad-guy's-mountaintop-headquarters bit.

Yet I do also see Greycat's point about having a bit more as a "trophy-case" memento; perhaps an actual physical item mirroring the souvenir description that could be placed in the SG base.  Click on that, you get the complete arc description popping up, like an extended version of what you see when you click on various historic points in Atlas Park.

Again, don't know what sort of resources/time would be required to implement this, let alone whether it's even possible or if the population's reaction might be a solid, "Meh", but I'd sure support having something that could personalize the SG bases even more.  Again, thanks for instigating the thoughts on this.

• Like 2

I'd completely forgotten they were a thing until I was working on an MA story and wanted to make sure they were dropping right.  At first I had ZERO souvenir clue on it, then was all like "oh yeah, may need something there."  So that should answer this question.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I used to read them occasionally but ceased doing so before sunset.  Now I will read them once on content I don't remember or new content (if applicable) but then it goes in the bit bucket of my brain.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

A lot of the souvenirs in game are little more than bland wiki-style plot summaries but I distinctly remember the Brother Hammond souvenir as worthwhile. Even immediately after finishing the arc, it's a fun and satisfying read that not only reminds you about the story in an amusing fashion but does something that CoV often struggles with mightily: It makes you feel like the star of the show. It drives home how everyone else was your patsy or goon and you were the one walking away a winner.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DougGraves said:

Do you  care about souvenirs?

Not so much as they stand at this point.

Do you read them?

I think you can write these into AE missions. If so, that's the only time I'm reading them ... and generally only when I'm writing them.

Would you do something to make them better?

Link them to a base item that you an put in your base as a trophy. When you click on them, it gives you the souvenir's text description the way that monuments and placards around THE CITY do.

And which are your favorites?

I can't say that I have any favorite souvenirs.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.