Searching for the Hidden Places

Scarlet Shocker

I was just reminded about an event we ran on live many years ago on Defiant server.

A whole gang of us got together, including Avatea and some other GMs, and we searched all the great secret locations in game.

This was pre-Going Rogue so obviously we didn't cover Praetoria, but from memory we visited about 16 locations in total, red and blue side, including the Hangman's Tree, the Blue Arena, the toilets in the Grandville tunnels, and a few other places besides.

It sounds like this would be another fun event and given we're likely to have some players who've never seen those sights, I figured we could run it over the coming weekend or early in the New Year.

I'm unable to remember all the places we visited, but I know we didn't cover the Rikti Mothership and Gas Station in Pocket D, so we'd need to do the following things to make this work:

1) List all the places we want to visit (including their locations

2) Pick a server to do this on

4)Decide who wants to come and what time

5)Learn to count numerically

I'd suggest a lower pop server, simply because we wouldn't get in the way of others but I'd also advise you to have at least a level 50 character

A TRAVEL POWER IS ESSENTIAL from memory there are some very hard to reach places and we will be covering a LOT of distance.

I'd suggest New Years Day because it's usually reasonably quiet* but people have time and availability

Also list places you know of.

*we know a song about that, don't we, boys and girls?

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

Where to go, what to see... one of the first things I did when I got back in to this game in 2019 was start hunting down geometry errors in the game. Areas in zones where parts of the game geometry is skewered or there's holes to underneath the map. I managed to get out of every zone, including the Shadow Shard, within the first year back. Sadly, many of my tricks have been patched that allowed me to do so, but I'm happy to help guide players to cool areas in game. I'll list a few that I'm comfortably familiar with and could shepherd any tourists to. 

I'll bring a character to any server chosen and they will have Group Fly, Teammate TPs, etc. I am Mountain Time in the U.S., but if its the weekend I can touch over on EU times.

1. Pocket D (anywhere, I made a YouTube video showing how)

2. Any PvP Zone - anything of interest, any under map stuff just for sight seeing (no exploits!)

3. Atlas Park (some folks don't know about the skyscraper green house)

4. Echo Faultline (how to get behind the dam)

5. Peregrine Island - undermap to show original way to get to the blue cube, aka dev room, aka blue room, aka arena waiting area.

6. Talos Island - undermap same as above

7. Paragon Dance Party (Original Pocket D)

8. Behind the Sonic Fences in any Goldside zone. 

9. Echo Plaza Easter Eggs

10. RWZ Council Base (Men in Black homage)

11. Dr. Vahziloks Lab in the Abandon Sewer Network

That's about all I can think of right now. 

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Thumbs Up 3

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

15 hours ago, Snarky said:

So you want a GROUP to help you get to those hard to reach “secret places?”

Oh it needn't be a large group. It could be a small band. Any form of musical ensemble would do I guess 😎

But to be serious for a moment, it is a fun activity that gives people a chance to hang out and do together - and from memory, things like Assemble the Team are useful for getting into difficult to reach places.

Maybe we can make a party of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

11 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Where to go, what to see... one of the first things I did when I got back in to this game in 2019 was start hunting down geometry errors in the game. Areas in zones where parts of the game geometry is skewered or there's holes to underneath the map. I managed to get out of every zone, including the Shadow Shard, within the first year back. Sadly, many of my tricks have been patched that allowed me to do so, but I'm happy to help guide players to cool areas in game. I'll list a few that I'm comfortably familiar with and could shepherd any tourists to. 

I'll bring a character to any server chosen and they will have Group Fly, Teammate TPs, etc. I am Mountain Time in the U.S., but if its the weekend I can touch over on EU times.

1. Pocket D (anywhere, I made a YouTube video showing how)

2. Any PvP Zone - anything of interest, any under map stuff just for sight seeing (no exploits!)

3. Atlas Park (some folks don't know about the skyscraper green house)

4. Echo Faultline (how to get behind the dam)

5. Peregrine Island - undermap to show original way to get to the blue cube, aka dev room, aka blue room, aka arena waiting area.

6. Talos Island - undermap same as above

7. Paragon Dance Party (Original Pocket D)

8. Behind the Sonic Fences in any Goldside zone. 

9. Echo Plaza Easter Eggs

10. RWZ Council Base (Men in Black homage)

11. Dr. Vahziloks Lab in the Abandon Sewer Network

That's about all I can think of right now. 

Wow some great stuff here thankyou!

I'm GMT so I believe currently 7 hours ahead of you (Mountain time always confuses me) but this is deffo a weekend event.

For the record, you reposting your video of the Gas Station accessible in PD is one of the things that rekindled this idea 👍

11 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

Don't forget the "Eggfinder" lounge in Faultlike. 

Well remembered thanks!

I have only alts on Excelsior, so... that would be my vote. I get the argument for one of the quieter shards, but that would seem to mean that fewer interested folks would have alts, much less high level ones, on those... and unless we're going to switch 'toons, only Rogues and Vigs will be able to follow the tour everywhere. Folks might want to visit Null beforehand.

Not sure how this will be coordinated unless everyone is in the same SG or we create a channel.

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

12 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

I have only alts on Excelsior, so... that would be my vote. I get the argument for one of the quieter shards, but that would seem to mean that fewer interested folks would have alts, much less high level ones, on those... and unless we're going to switch 'toons, only Rogues and Vigs will be able to follow the tour everywhere. Folks might want to visit Null beforehand.

Not sure how this will be coordinated unless everyone is in the same SG or we create a channel.

I don't mind trying it on Excelsior. As you say, may be more interest. Then let's make it so. Let's meet in Atlas by the AH - close enough to get attention but not so close we don't know who's in the gang so to speak. I figure we can form a league once we have a few folks with us?

• Thumbs Up 1

Everyone who's in... hold up a sign! (?)

(At AH plaza, I mean.)

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Here's a bit of a thought: Want to do it on the Beta server?

Everyone can get there, grab TT & ATT at will, guaranteed minimal traffic.

But I'll transfer my Teleporter to Excelsior just in case.

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

I'm @DoctorDitko, and will be there as Mark Vector, my teleporter. Effing Verizon permitting!

(And I love your sig, Scarlet!)

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

36 minutes ago, Captain Fabulous said:

I'd be up for this, but we'd definitely need to pick a server, time, and place to meet.

And IIRC don't some of these places required TP to get to? 

It was alluded to above:

Monday, January 1st at 8pm GMT/12 PST/3EST on the Excelsior shard where we will meet at the Atlas Park Auction House. 

Edit: I'm @Glacier Peak and I'll be on the character Psychochronokinesis

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

If you know the Location of places you'd like to visit please post them here preferably with /loc coordinates so this can remain as guide for future use! Thanks

Is there a page on the wiki for these places?

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝