Double xp and outleveling contacts

Hi, I started on one of the double xp servers lately, and I noticed that I was directed to a new contact and he immediately said he had nothing for me before I'd even gotten a mission from him. Am I going to miss anything from levelling up too fast in early zones?

Oh okay, that's a little annoying but at least we can do something about it. Should I stop xp only when we are on one of those clearly labelled multi part missions or should I try and explore every contacts full mission chain?

All the story arcs are available via the flashback system in ouroboros. Between that and trials/task forces where you are automatically exemped, most of the content you'd actually want to play is available to go back to.

If you really want to experience all content 'at level' then the trick is to turn off xp at every level that ends in a 4 or a 9 (4, 9, 14, 19, 24, etc.) and keep talking to contacts until they are exhausted. Be aware that there are a lot of missions that could be described as filler, things like hunts, particularly blueside.

I've started several 'do everything at level blueside' runs but never completed it. Trying to run all the story arcs via flashback is more doable and frankly more fun (and profitable in terms of merits).

Also, if you've started one of a contact's story arc you'll always be able to finish it even if you've outleveled them.  You can tell if you're in a story arc with them because there'll be a little green book icon. The only downside is that the level of the missions will cap, so you'll eventually be fighting significantly lower level enemies which will reduce their rewards.  You can compensate to an extent by raising the difficulty.

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

On 1/12/2024 at 1:15 AM, palateswap said:

Hi, I started on one of the double xp servers lately, and I noticed that I was directed to a new contact and he immediately said he had nothing for me before I'd even gotten a mission from him. Am I going to miss anything from levelling up too fast in early zones?

This is particularly problematic Goldside and does not ever require 2XP to be active. If you outlevel the contact even mid-arc they will blow you off. On all my Goldsider's I use the following... /macro_image "DayJob_XPBoost" "XP Toggle" "option_toggle noxp" to put an XP on/off toggle on my toolbar.

Edited by Oubliette_Red
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

12 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

You can tell if you're in a story arc with them because there'll be a little green book icon.

It's always appeared yellow to me. It's green to you?

image.png.d3e98de031c4ae3c98ac3c07bece97b5.png

2 minutes ago, FFFF said:

I meant the little bookmark tag is green.  (Although some of them are blue, which I should've mentioned.)

• Like 2

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

3 minutes ago, FFFF said:

The green outline is for a short story arc. Major story arcs have a blue outline.

• Like 3

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

19 hours ago, Parabola said:

All the story arcs are available via the flashback system in ouroboros. Between that and trials/task forces where you are automatically exemped, most of the content you'd actually want to play is available to go back to.

If you really want to experience all content 'at level' then the trick is to turn off xp at every level that ends in a 4 or a 9 (4, 9, 14, 19, 24, etc.) and keep talking to contacts until they are exhausted. Be aware that there are a lot of missions that could be described as filler, things like hunts, particularly blueside.

I've started several 'do everything at level blueside' runs but never completed it. Trying to run all the story arcs via flashback is more doable and frankly more fun (and profitable in terms of merits).

All the major arcs are.  Definitely all badges.  NOT all the game.  Not even close.  

19 minutes ago, lemming said:

Caveat: https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Efficiency_Expert_Pither

His badge missions are not, but he's level 50, so you won't outlevel him.  And now at least if you go in with a team, the whole team gets credit. Not just the mission owner

Is this a workaround for a mission fail and out of reach badge then?

Edited by Snarky

10 hours ago, Snarky said:

Is this a workaround for a mission fail and out of reach badge then?

Yep.  I forget when it was fixed, but I did update the hc wiki with the info.    Ran it the other day to confirm it works.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

On all my Goldsider's I use the following... /macro_image "DayJob_XPBoost" "XP Toggle" "option_toggle noxp" to put an XP on/off toggle on my toolbar.

Thank you for sharing your macro.  I hadn't thought of doing that.

• Like 1

Would be super cool if the zones would just lock you in via total contact completion instead of level.  That way we can enjoy the content fully as we go. Instead of rushing to ouroboros thus killing the essence of gradual play. 

13 hours ago, AlpineTsar said:

Would be super cool if the zones would just lock you in via total contact completion instead of level.  That way we can enjoy the content fully as we go. Instead of rushing to ouroboros thus killing the essence of gradual play. 

I suspect most people wouldn't like that.  Your best bet here is to use that macro to turn off XP when you reach a contact's maximum level, then turn it back on when you move up to the next set of higher level contacts in the same zone or the next zone.   It's annoyingly manual, to be sure, but just involves looking up the contact level ranges online while you play.

One of the other COH servers had story archs scale to your level (up, not down).

Id like that option, dont know about others. Not sure what downsides there would be. And, if Oro still existed, you could always just go and do those missions with your level scaled down as usual. 

Best of both worlds.