Rewards for players with low toon count

I know myself and a few others only play 1 or a few toons, and a lot of events in game penalise that with the reward system, mainly things like Trick or Treat and weekly strike forces. Now it's stupid to remove those limits all together but what would be nice is possibly the reward of some Aether per veteran level? Since all the incarnate stuff stops around 100 it would be nice to still have a little reward every time you get another veteran level?

- Lauci x

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 7

What would prevent players from farming veteran levels the way they farm characters?  Wouldn't that have the opposite effect from what Aethers were intended to create, increasing inflation rather than controlling it, as it further incentivizes farming and thus inf* accumulation?

• Like 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

How does trick or treating or weekly strike targets penalize players with few characters while rewarding players with lots of characters?! Is there some code I'm not aware of that prevents developed characters from partaking in those? Do they not award XP, inf', or merits as appropriate if you are playing a developed character? You still get all the same rewards as everyone else, right? What am I missing?

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Rudra said:

How does trick or treating or weekly strike targets penalize players with few characters while rewarding players with lots of characters?! Is there some code I'm not aware of that prevents developed characters from partaking in those? Do they not award XP, inf', or merits as appropriate if you are playing a developed character? You still get all the same rewards as everyone else, right? What am I missing?

I couldn't figure this out either. I mean, unless you have multiple accounts players can only play one character at a time. They are actually spreading their rewards across multiple character rather than gathering them on just one or two.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

jrangersmall.gif.61f0f73dd3687cc1ffd63cf8694b421f.gif

• Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

9 minutes ago, Rudra said:

I think what Lauci means is that the ToT rewards are one-time per character, so it naturally encourages multiple characters to get more aethers out of it in the long run. 

• Like 2

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

3 minutes ago, FupDup said:

I think what Lauci means is that the ToT rewards are one-time per character, so it naturally encourages multiple characters to get more aethers out of it in the long run. 

That rewards are one-time per character? How so? The rewards for trick or treating is XP, inf', Halloween salvage, and badges. The XP and inf' are always going to be there. The Halloween salvage can be sold or traded for as long as you have them to sell or trade. And the badges? Only really matter to badgers. And I'm not seeing the aethers argument. With a developed character, you can run the higher difficulty Hard Mode content and get aethers a hell of a lot faster than constantly switching between characters praying for a random drop.

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

That rewards are one-time per character? How so? The rewards for trick or treating is XP, inf', Halloween salvage, and badges. The XP and inf' are always going to be there. The Halloween salvage can be sold or traded for as long as you have them to sell or trade. And the badges? Only really matter to badgers. And I'm not seeing the aethers argument. With a developed character, you can run the higher difficulty Hard Mode content and get aethers a hell of a lot faster than constantly switching between characters praying for a random drop.

You get up to 10 aether per character with those badges, to the point a few people were making alts just to farm aether last ToT

2 hours ago, Luminara said:

What would prevent players from farming veteran levels the way they farm characters?  Wouldn't that have the opposite effect from what Aethers were intended to create, increasing inflation rather than controlling it, as it further incentivizes farming and thus inf* accumulation?

I mean if it's only a small amount of Aether it's not going to change the market too greatly compared to something like ToT that floods the market with thousands

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

You get double merits once per week per character, so people with tons of alts can swap and get twice the rewards of someone with less characters

1 minute ago, Laucianna said:

You get up to 10 aether per character with those badges, to the point a few people were making alts just to farm aether last ToT

And?

If you're playing a single character, that's it, then you can run every TF - on hard mode - and have *all* the rewards concentrated on *one* character. MSRs? Every V-merit (and thus Reward merit) gets concentrated on ONE character. TFs? Concentrated. Every GM kill? One character gets the merits.

Sounds like it's already being "rewarded" to me... one event being potentially farmed doesn't really offset the rest of the year, content, etc.

• Like 4

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

2 minutes ago, Laucianna said:

You get double merits once per week per character, so people with tons of alts can swap and get twice the rewards of someone with less characters

Which they can't transfer. They have to use to buy things to send their alts. Whereas with just a few characters, those merits accumulate on less characters, even if you aren't getting double per run, you're still accumulating those merits on less characters for greater overall gain per character.

6 minutes ago, Laucianna said:

I don't understand that as I have never gotten any aethers from those badges. And you can still run Hard Mode content with your few characters more often than players cycling through lots of alts for even more aethers. A 1-star Aeon or ITF grants 2 aethers per run. And since you aren't spending time developing more characters, you can make those runs, even as just a duo, and get those aethers.

15 minutes ago, Greycat said:

If you're playing a single character, that's it, then you can run every TF - on hard mode - and have *all* the rewards concentrated on *one* character.

You would still get a ton more merits if you had a ton of alts to switch between

16 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Sounds like it's already being "rewarded" to me... one event being potentially farmed doesn't really offset the rest of the year, content, etc.

And neither would an aether for a Veteran level offset the market

16 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Which they can't transfer.

People can transfer reward merits across characters?

5 minutes ago, Laucianna said:
24 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Which they can't transfer.

People can transfer reward merits across characters?

My mistake. I just checked to verify, and yes, you can send a single reward merit per e-mail to your alts. As opposed to say, staying on one character and earning those merits faster than you can by accumulating them on alts and e-mailing them one at a time to your preferred character.

1 minute ago, Rudra said:

My mistake. I just checked to verify, and yes, you can send a single reward merit per e-mail to your alts. As opposed to say, staying on one character and earning those merits faster than you can by accumulating them on alts and e-mailing them one at a time to your preferred character.

You can turn 50 into 1 hero/villain merit and do it that way

4 minutes ago, Laucianna said:

You can turn 50 into 1 hero/villain merit and do it that way

You can also just earn those 50 on your one character in even less time.

And here is the flip side of your argument: If your suggestion were to be implemented and rewards given out for having less characters, players with more characters would effectively be punished because they have more characters and can't get those rewards unless they abandon their extra characters. This is a game that lets you play the way you want, on up to 1000 characters per account. There is absolutely nothing you can say that would in my opinion justify rewarding players for having less characters. (Edit: Beyond the benefits they already enjoy over players that have lots of characters.)

Edited by Rudra

You can also just earn those 50 on your one character in even less time.

How would you earn more in less time on one toon when you get double the bonus on different toons?

And here is the flip side of your argument: If your suggestion were to be implemented and rewards given out for having less characters, players with more characters would effectively be punished because they have more characters and can't get those rewards unless they abandon their extra characters. This is a game that lets you play the way you want, on up to 1000 characters per account. There is absolutely nothing you can say that would in my opinion justify rewarding players for having less characters.

I don't see how rewarding people people for reaching high veteran levels is punishing others, it's a much smaller reward then what is given if you play multiple alts

9 minutes ago, Laucianna said:

How would you earn more in less time on one toon when you get double the bonus on different toons?

I can't speak for others with alt-itis, but you know where all my merits and inf' goes? To getting enhancements for my other characters. And probably around 90% of my characters are still hoping to get enhancements. You know why? Because players with lots of alts do not have lots of max'ed level, fully incarnated, max vet levels achieved characters. We have lots of characters. And most of them need to be developed. So your argument that you are being penalized for having less characters? Is purely your perception, not the reality.

Edited by Rudra
Edited to de-capitalize the "o" in "To".
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rudra said:

I can't speak for others with alt-itis, but you know where all my merits and inf' goes? To getting enhancements for my other characters. And probably around 90% of my characters are still hoping to get enhancements. You know why? Because players with lots of alts do not have lots of max'ed level, fully incarnated, max vet levels achieved characters. We have lots of characters. And most of them need to be developed. So your argument that you are being penalized for having less characters? Is purely your perception, not the reality.

We literally get less rewards? That is the reality lol. It doesn't matter what you spend it on whether that's multiple characters or all on creating costumes or giving it away

28 minutes ago, Laucianna said:

We literally get less rewards? That is the reality lol. It doesn't matter what you spend it on whether that's multiple characters or all on creating costumes or giving it away

You are not literally getting less rewards. That is like claiming a person in a family is getting more food than a person that eats alone at the same restaurant. Yes, more food is going to the family's table, but that is being split up between more people that need to be fed. You can accumulate more rewards by focusing on a single character or a few characters than you can by having tens or hundreds of characters. Players with more characters have more characters they have to develop and progress. So what if they cycle characters to get double merits? There is a high probability each of those characters are spending those merits on themselves. Your argument is broken. It does not work, because you think that because players cycle through alts for double merits, they are pouring all those double merits into a single character without allowing for the possibility each of those characters needs those merits for themselves.

Edited by Rudra
Edited to pluralize two instances of "characters".
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rudra said:

You are not literally getting less rewards. That is like claiming a person in a family is getting more food than a person that eats alone at the same restaurant. Yes, more food is going to the family's table, but that is being split up between more people that need to be fed. You can accumulate more rewards by focusing on a single character or a few characters than you can by having tens or hundreds of characters. Players with more characters have more characters they have to develop and progress. So what if they cycle characters to get double merits? There is a high probability each of those characters are spending those merits on themselves. Your argument is broken. It does not work, because you think that because players cycle through alts for double merits, they are pouring all those double merits into a single character without allowing for the possibility each of those characters needs those merits for themselves.

But it's not a family we are talking about? It's still 1 person. It's more akin to 1 table getting extra food as they have more chairs, then compared to the table with 1 chair, it's still just 1 person sat at the table no matter where you place the food

1 minute ago, Laucianna said:

But it's not a family we are talking about? It's still 1 person. It's more akin to 1 table getting extra food as they have more chairs, then compared to the table with 1 chair, it's still just 1 person sat at the table no matter where you place the food

To make this clearer:
Table: Account
Person: Player
Chairs: Characters
Food: Rewards

12 minutes ago, Laucianna said:

10 minutes ago, Laucianna said:

To make this clearer:
Table: Account
Person: Player
Chairs: Characters
Food: Rewards

Fine, let me make this even clearer.

Player A has 3 characters. Player A has been playing since HC launched (openly). Player A's characters are all level 50, have more than one T4 incarnate power available per incarnate slot, and has acquired every veteran level reward the game allows.

Player B has 842 characters. Player B has also been playing since HC launched (openly). Player B has 5 characters that are all level 50, have one incarnate power available per incarnate slot, and maybe 30 veteran levels for each of those 5 characters. Player B also has 837 other characters ranging from level 6 to level 49. Those other characters are in need of enhancements still. Even the level 49s are lacking enhancements. And Player B? Is still making yet more characters that will also need to be developed.

With less characters, you can progress much, much farther at a faster rate than a player with lots of characters. (Edit: So those greater rewards being reaped you think you are seeing? Are being spread out over a lot more characters because they all need them,)

Edited by Rudra
  • Like 4