Attempting first end game build on a tank im leveling (DA/Elec)

Damoklese

So I have no idea if this DA/Elec guy is gonna be any good.  I liked the theme and concept though, so I thought id give it a shot.  I welcome any advice or feedback on how good or not good it might be.

Im trying to flesh out my build before I get too far leveled though, so that I have a plan.  The goal is to be extremely tanky, but not a horrible slouch with damage either, so that maybe I can solo an AV.

Here is the build ive got so far.

I have no idea how to share a mids build.. Hopefully this works

DAelec Tank.mbd

Edited by Damoklese

7 minutes ago, Snarky said:

The easiest way to share a build these days is add file.  

I do not have elec, but here is a tanky dark dark for you to look at.

Tanker - Dark Dark RES oddball Dark Night.mbd 43.04 kB · 0 downloads

Hmm ok...I see I did not invest heavily enough into my toggles.  Thank you.  I need to move some things around and get those resistances to the cap.

Just now, Damoklese said:

Hmm ok...I see I did not invest heavily enough into my toggles.  Thank you.  I need to move some things around and get those resistances to the cap.

Dark Armor’s toggles are the heart of a Defense using no Defense strategy of dealing with volume attacks. Then resists and heals for big bads

10 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Dark Armor’s toggles are the heart of a Defense using no Defense strategy of dealing with volume attacks. Then resists and heals for big bads

Makes sense.  If I drop my defensive bonuses and focus on the resistance, it will lean more into the concept that im going for with the constant healing from the lightning procs providing damage mitigation.

1 hour ago, Damoklese said:

Makes sense.  If I drop my defensive bonuses and focus on the resistance, it will lean more into the concept that im going for with the constant healing from the lightning procs providing damage mitigation.

Yeah, do NOT chase defense.  You have no Def Debuff Resistance.   Dam Res is its own Dam Res debuff Resistance.  Chase that.  Get your Energy Resist up.  My Dark Armor Brute tanks Rom on Ms Lib master runs. He has a giant energy attack.  Darn Tank is very strong, if you build it for what it is, not try to make it Invulnerability 

Edited by Snarky

11 hours ago, Damoklese said:

So I have no idea if this DA/Elec guy is gonna be any good.  I liked the theme and concept though, so I thought id give it a shot.  I welcome any advice or feedback on how good or not good it might be.

Im trying to flesh out my build before I get too far leveled though, so that I have a plan.  The goal is to be extremely tanky, but not a horrible slouch with damage either, so that maybe I can solo an AV.

Here is the build ive got so far.

I have no idea how to share a mids build.. Hopefully this works

DAelec Tank.mbd 42.83 kB · 2 downloads

One of the main reasons to go Dark Armor is the stupendous heal in Dark Regeneration. If you skip that particular power then you might as well pick a different armor set.

To be perfectly candid Elec Melee is in need of a tune-up from the devs and there are better choices, but if you're enjoying it then it will work regardless. Even if you eventually decide to play something else you can always transfer the gear you bought for it to the new alt so it's not a waste.

Things to consider:

- Havok Punch is a damage power and should be slotted for damage. The stun component is negligible and not worth slotting for.

- Don't leave Vegeance toggled on since it gives the wrong idea about your resistance numbers. Vengeance relies on a team member dying and Vengeance being used on it. This happens but it's not something to rely on for 100% uptime. In most teams not even 20% uptime.

- Same with Build-up which will give the erroneous idea of how much accuracy you need.

- The Theft of Essence proc in Dark Regen is the important bit that makes Dark Regen's huge endurance costs manageable. You can swap the five other slots for anything, but dark regen wants accuracy and dark armor has a lack of Energy resists so I six slotted it.

- Speaking of accuracy you already have enough even without Tactics toggled on so other than niche reasons there is no reason to take it. Tbh same with Maneuvers. Dark Armor has a giant problem with endurance and all those extra toggles will leave you unable to cope. I would even drop off Cloak of Fear since it has a stupendous cost of 0.52 and only two magnitude, which means it only works on minions, not even on lieutenants, and for that you already have Oppresive Gloom that does stun instead of fear, only works on minions as well, but at least is 'free' (costs negligible HP).

- You don't need those slots to proc heals because you have the godly Dark Regen.

- Toggles like Death Shroud are not the best place to have the Might of the Tanker proc since auras only tick once every 10 seconds.

I changed a few things around.

77% resistances is what I consider to be the sweet spot since one more ATO stack (6.7%) and Barrier (permanent 5%) will neatly put us at 90%. More than 90% is useless.

Defenses are not built for but Melee is at a sweet spot of 33%+. Iif you eat a small purple you have Melee at 45% which is a bit of an extra layer of protection. With 90% resistances even just 33% is good enough for most content.

I toggled off most everything from the Leadership pool to keep your endurance manageable but once you're level 50 you beeline to the Cardiac in Alpha and that will fix most of your endurance problems at which point you can toggle them back on if you'd like, but other than Lightning Clap all your attacks have enough accuracy to hit +3 anyway, and your goal is not defense so Manuvers is not strictly needed. You CAN build to 40% defenses so that Barrier will put them at 45% but you'd have to ditch Leadership, get Fighting, get Weave, then move slotting a bit. It's doable, I've done it, but no sure it is what YOU want.

Respecs are cheap so play around with stuff and see what fits you best.

DAelec Tank.mbd

Edited by Sovera
  • Thanks 1

Capping defense on a cap resistant build is a perk Dark Tanks and few other can do.

Attached is a melee cap def build 1 purp to full cap all

Res cap excluding toxic

Moderate proc

good end + recharge

Dark does not have DDR so ageless is a must for incarnates if you choose to cap def.

This is a flexible build. Depending on damage,def,res alpha you choose you can make tweaks to the build.

Tanker (Dark Armor - Electrical Melee).mbd

Edited by Ironscarlet

Food for thought from a different perspective.

There was a thread last year that played around the idea of stacking stuns.

I ended up making the Dark/Elec tank that focused on stuns from that post, and what started out as a meme build has turned out to work very well. It's not going to solo any AVs any time soon, but it accomplished my expectation of what it set out to do (stun stuff in the face!)

To be fair, the stun procs have a pretty low chance to fire and if you want something more performance driven you can swap those out. For me, theme won over function.

As for the build itself, it's not very starter friendly because most attacks are picked up at later levels. So depending on where you are on your current journey you may want to pick up a few other attacks while you are leveling.

Stunning Supermodel - Tanker (Dark Armor).mxd

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!