Copyright infringement

2 hours ago, JasperStone said:

I did not have my glasses on and read that 

Clowning equipment ...

image.png.2c0ba8aa3a7d14ae79c619a0a4be708f.png

Clownclone?

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

I have a Spines/Regen character with super speed named "Quicksliver." He has a distinct, original costume and backstory (and, y'know, bones sticking out of his torso), And I *still* get PMs from people concerned about IP infringement, most of whom quickly cite dyslexia for not noticing the pun when I point out the spelling of his name.

• Haha 6

Slightly off topic, but it's been an age since I saw a character called "Higgs Boatswain".  LOL.

• Haha 3

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

8 minutes ago, JerseyP said:

It's against the law to play a character in a video game. One more reason why copyright law is garbage and intellectual property is not actual property.

You say that until you're an artist trying to sell merchandise with pictures of a character that you created and drew yourself only to find that everyone is buying that same merchandise cheaper on Disney's online store and there's nothing you can do about it because "intellectual property is not actual property."

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

1 hour ago, JerseyP said:

It's against the law to play a character in a video game. One more reason why copyright law is garbage and intellectual property is not actual property.

I will say that our current copyright laws are a bit ridiculous, (95 years, really!?), but within a more reasonable timeframe, say 50 years or so, why *shouldn't* a creator retain control and exclusive rights to profit from their creation or otherwise how said creation is used?   

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

12 hours ago, Wiseguy said:

the consensus seemed to be 'feel free to report copyright infringers, just don't do it too much'.

Some random folk online said don't do it too much?  😃 

They were wrong, yeah.  Every time you see it.

• Thumbs Up 5

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Either way, I imagine playing CoH and creating similar characters would help inject some "needed" interest/funds back into Marvel & DC etc..

It's definitely made me pick-up a few comics recently

Water Wench - Water/Ice (Reunion)

Kiri Otoshi - Brute/Invulnerability (Reunion)

24 minutes ago, waltuski said:

Either way, I imagine playing CoH and creating similar characters would help inject some "needed" interest/funds back into Marvel & DC etc..

There's also the opposing case: someone doesn't want to buy Marvel/DC's new whatever superhero game because they can just play their favorite characters on Homecoming instead.

Kind of a double-edged situation. I don't think copyright law is in a good place either, but I do think there's a place for protecting intellectual property.

AKA @Shibbs

The only reason some of us support copyright in this game is so that we don't get shut down. We want to play, not to lose the game, again.

The latest IP dispute I heard was Luis Vitton (that overpriced garbage luggage company) attempting to copyright the letters L and V. All it takes is a C&D and it goes poof!!

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Water said:

The only reason some of us support copyright in this game is so that we don't get shut down. We want to play, not to lose the game, again.

The latest IP dispute I heard was Luis Vitton (that overpriced garbage luggage company) attempting to copyright the letters L and V. All it takes is a C&D and it goes poof!!

This. If someone's fee fees get stung because they can't play a carbon copy of Wolverine or Batman,  I'll still sleep well at night. We walk a razors edge here, have for years and a "rules for thee but not for me" attitude won't fly. 

• Like 7
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

2 hours ago, waltuski said:

You'd think that. Then you read about Disney dropping the hammer on some family because they found out they used an unsanctioned Spider-Man balloon at a kids birthday party.

Yes, it makes sense in a common sense way, but copyright lawyers don't live in the land of common sense. They all have Mr Krabbs in their head going "money, money, money" at all times. 

So, no, playing COH and running around as XSpiderManX with a dead ringer costume will not make someone at Disney/Marvel be glad for the free advertising. It'll just make them release the hounds...on us. If any of us sound like a broken record, it's because we remember the past when Marvel came after COH on live and would rather not poke the bear. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

On a very silly analysis, this isn't the Marvel Universe or the DC Universe, or any other external comic book derived universe.  So why the hell do you want to play any of those characters here?  COH has, for a game that only ran live for less than a decade, a fairly interesting world of its own.  Delve into that!  

Yes, homages are different.  I get that.  And maybe somewhere Manticore is reading a Batman comic and grinning, who knows!

• Like 3

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

If anyone WANTS to look at (IMO) great inspired homages to Marvel/DC, and ones that work, then read Astro City.

• Like 2

There is one way to have a copyrighted character on CoH/V/GR. That is if you own the rights to the IP.

Several authors play our game who have replicated their own characters right here in Paragon City. I know as I have seen them. It is up to themselves to make them known though, not me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Random Axis said:

One of the hijinks the people at Something Awful did when the game was live was make a bunch of characters called "Marvel Lawyer 2873" (with random numbers) and go harass copyright infringing characters in local chat.

Lol...back when the game was live the forums were full of threads about people cloning known characters. They would go on for pages. I saw a clone of "Storm" in Talos Island once get genericed right in front of me. The player then threw a hissy fit in chat that was pretty funny. (at least to me)

Just the other day I saw "Power Girl" (again in Talos). That was the first direct clone I've seen in some time. 

Edited by d4verman
  • Like 1

I would say YES. I base that on how Disney is kknown for strong arm financial tactics and fileing lawsuits. If we want COH to stay around we should all be a bit mo0re attentive in what we do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skyhawke said:

So, no, playing COH and running around as XSpiderManX with a dead ringer costume will not make someone at Disney/Marvel be glad for the free advertising. It'll just make them release the hounds...on us. If any of us sound like a broken record, it's because we remember the past when Marvel came after COH on live and would rather not poke the bear. 

Wasn't it some Marvel employees making Marvel characters on CoH back in the day?!

Water Wench - Water/Ice (Reunion)

Kiri Otoshi - Brute/Invulnerability (Reunion)

1 minute ago, waltuski said:

Wasn't it some Marvel employees making Marvel characters on CoH back in the day?!

Dunno. I do remember COH cracking down on things afterwards, and rightfully so. Do we want take the risk of thinking every copyright infringement we see is an employee of " Company X"? Not a shot at you (apologies if it sounds like it), I just know for almost 5 years a lot of us have had the "servers and forums are down...oh crap, is this it?" feeling enough times to be cautious. We're overprotective, but with reason.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 hours ago, Skyhawke said:

Honestly, I truly wish people would stop with the spreading of the FUD over this whole subject and giving the impression that Disney has a team of lawyers lurking in the game 24/7 waiting to pounce and shut the game down.  Marvel tried (key word being tried) to sue 20 years ago when they were in a much, much, much worse financial state than they are today.  Marvel was looking for some quick cash back then because they were in a desperate financial situation.  There are literally tens of millions of "illegal" skins of copyrighted Marvel, DC, Disney, Star Trek, Star Wars and just about every other IP there is for just about any computer game you can think of available for download on the internet right now.  There's no flurry of endless lawsuits from Disney or Paramount or WB to remove them all.  It's just not worth the time, effort and legal costs for any of them to pursue it. 

With that said, it is against the rules here to make clear copyright violations of existing characters, so don't do it.  If you see something, say something and let the GMs make the decision.

13 minutes ago, waltuski said:

Yes, it was.   

• Like 2