I ran into my real self on a mission...

The painful reflection...I was a real shadow hound. :)

Β 

Doing a recover/kill X mission in Night Ward this afternoon and one of the two kill targets was tagged with my IRL surname. Amused surprise since my surname isn't exactly common.  Wonder if anyone else has ran into themselves in game this way. 🍩

I recall a story where someone on Live asked in the help channel how to progress in some mission arc, and someone replied to him with "go talk to [John Smith]."Β  Turns out that [John Smith] was that player's father's name.Β  He was freaked, thought he was being stalked or something - understandably of course!Β  It got all cleared later and everyone was OK, so it had a happy ending.

• Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•

My RL name and my wife's name are both common (she didn't change hers) and we have run into couples named the same.Β  Though I think in game, I've only seen my surname used for a few things, but within context, not so bad.

• Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

Fortunately, my surname is shared with a celebrity and would thus constitute a name violation if used in-game.

Β 

Unfortuantely, I can't stand said celebrity, and I'm more than a little fed up with the question "So... any relation?"

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, ZemX said:

I wonder if that Jake Emmet guy ever runs into himself in game.Β πŸ€ͺ

Β 

I do wonder if "Jake" ever made an account and is one of the people in various chats telling everyone they're playing wrong.

• Haha 5

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

On 2/5/2024 at 6:27 PM, Go0gleplex said:

Doing a recover/kill X mission in Night Ward this afternoon and one of the two kill targets was tagged with my IRL surname. Amused surprise since my surname isn't exactly common.  Wonder if anyone else has ran into themselves in game this way. 🍩

Β 

I can top that... IRL.

Β 

Last week I was grocery shopping and I heard my name. (Unusual, as for various reasons I am unlikely to just run into anyone who knows me.) Then I heard it again. A woman one aisle over was being insistent with someone, and repeated "Fred Jones. He's a lawyer there. Get him on the phone."

Β 

(No, my name is not Fred Jones, of course and I am neither a lawyer nor do I play one on TV. But this was easily the weirdest thing I've had happen in... a long, long time.)

• Banjo 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:Β  GABS BindfileΒ  Β·Β  WindowScalerΒ  Β·Β  Teleport GuideΒ  Β·Β  and City of ZeroesΒ  all atΒ  www.Shenanigunner.com

Β 

On 2/6/2024 at 2:38 PM, Skyhawke said:

Β 

I do wonder if "Jake" ever made an account and is one of the people in various chats telling everyone they're playing wrong.

Β 

Don't think he'd care enough to revisit us

Β 

Β 

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

Β 

2 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Β 

I can top that... IRL.

Β 

Last week I was grocery shopping and I heard my name. (Unusual, as for various reasons I am unlikely to just run into anyone who knows me.) Then I heard it again. A woman one aisle over was being insistent with someone, and repeated "Fred Jones. He's a lawyer there. Get him on the phone."

Β 

(No, my name is not Fred Jones, of course and I am neither a lawyer nor do I play one on TV. But this was easily the weirdest thing I've had happen in... a long, long time.)

That's amusing. πŸ˜‰Β But if we're going IRL...Β  I was in the same school and same grade with a person with the exact same first two names...same spelling even...and the same last name with the addition of 'et' on the end. We kept getting each other's report cards throughout the years I lived in that town. Never did meet in person, though the few kids that spoke to me said the guy was rather ticked off about the whole thing.Β 

• Like 1

Just now, Go0gleplex said:

That's amusing. πŸ˜‰Β But if we're going IRL...Β  I was in the same school and same grade with a person with the exact same first two names...same spelling even...and the same last name with the addition of 'et' on the end. We kept getting each other's report cards throughout the years I lived in that town. Never did meet in person, though the few kids that spoke to me said the guy was rather ticked off about the whole thing.Β 

Knew two guys in the Navy like that - their names were identical except for one letter, and their SSN's were identical except for one number, and both were members of the same small(ish) community (inside the Navy).Β  They both kept getting the other guy's stuff in their service records.

• Haha 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!Β  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

I was accused of cheating in college when someone with my name was auditing the class.Β  Two tests with my name show up with scores in the 80s.Β  Of course I was cheating.Β  The professor started the procedure of getting me kicked out when a TA mentioned to me she was confused that she would get more than one homework from me, so off to the registar, and found the other guy.Β  Not a great start to my college career.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Go0gleplex said:

Β 

As my ex used to say, there are only ten men's names across the generations. So it wasn't too surprising that there were six (6) "Freds" in my elementary classes. None with same middle names, at least.

Β 

Not always amusing, though. My father, "Fred D. Jones," was an upright retired citizen. "Fred D. Jones" of about the same age, known to the downtown police, was an aggressive drunk with more time in county and drunk tanks than wherever he happened to live.Β  Different middle names but otherwise too much overlap. This did not end well for my father.

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:Β  GABS BindfileΒ  Β·Β  WindowScalerΒ  Β·Β  Teleport GuideΒ  Β·Β  and City of ZeroesΒ  all atΒ  www.Shenanigunner.com

Β 

I've never seen my surname in any game, I don't expect to. Oddly it isn't even a part of the local culture in my hemisphere. Now that could explain some oddity about my biology! I don't expect to see my name in a game in my lifetime. Now, depending on how randy future 'same named' people are they could spawn a game developer one day with my name who would want to see their name in a game so...