The Philotic Knight's Buff Force Fields 1.0!

_NOPE_

2 hours ago, Blackfeather said:

I don't think that's fair on users who already enjoy how Force Field currently works (I count myself as one of them), to change it for the sake of making newer powersets more unique. However, I agree that adding some additional offensive power to Force Bolt and Repulsion Bomb would be nice, as Philotic has proposed in his original post.

While it's nice to have additional features, I do have to wonder about the intent behind the Absorb mechanic behind these powers, and whether they make sense in them. I can somewhat agree with Personal Force Field providing additional protection, since it's a power designed to make yourself nigh untouchable at the cost of being unable to attack. However, I don't believe granting temporary health after the field is down is part of this.

Likewise, Detention Field acts as the ultimate quarantine power: to stop an enemy from doing anything. Is the Absorb mechanic conducive to aiding this effect? I'm not sure if it is, and I kind of see even providing an option to do so as a disincentive for using the power as it is intended. I think Detention Field would be much better served by providing it greater flexibility with how long it can detain enemies for; changing it to a toggle was suggested before, along with the ability to bring it down with a casting of a temporary power on the detained target. And of course, being able to detain AVs would be great, giving it just another niche like how Sleep is, but still conditional. In the end, they still need to be damaged to be defeated after all.

Force Field doesn't have Absorb mainly because Absorb didn't exist until the last days of the game. Nature is the only buff set that has it, and it never got off the test servers. 

If the game had continued development I'd be surprised if Force Field didn't end up with an Absorb power. Force Field is the Absorb set in my mind.  

The idea to make Detention Field an Absorb power stems from how Injection was treated in the Medicine Pool. It's fairly simplistic to have a power have a different effect on an enemy than a player. Detention Field has perfect characteristics for some kind of Absorb:

• 60 second recharge
  • Currently takes no IO sets at all (this is part of why this power sucks and is wise to skip btw)
  • A graphic that indicates the power is active on the target

Thematically, the power would just be said to completely seal off enemies so they can't be harmed, but only partially protect an ally, so they can still attack through it like other Force Fields.

If it provided base 50% absorb it would be comparable to the Cold Domination power Frostwork, which adds about that much Max HP.

Of course another option would be to create an IO set for Intangible powers that makes them universally worthwhile. I'll hold my breath on that though.

Edited by oedipus_tex

I disagree. Force Field already has plenty of ways to help prevent damage, all of which don't require an extraneous mechanic to do so. Temporary health essentially being healing aside, which is something that the powerset doesn't do, it provides a good deal of soft positional control along with granting defense - enemies can't hit you if they're flying through the air, or are too far away to do so. Detention Field epitomises this: stopping an enemy from dealing damage at all by making them untouchable, and only able to affect themselves.

I believe adding an absorb mechanic to Detention Field is too divergent of an effect from the original intent - if you're looking for changes to make with the power, I say allowing it to affect AVs and deactivate on command would be much more complementary and quality of life.

11 minutes ago, Blackfeather said:

believe adding an absorb mechanic to Detention Field is too divergent of an effect from the original intent 

IMO the original intent of Force Field was to create a comic book "force field" type of powerset with the mechanics the game provided at the time. Absorb didn't exist yet and it's why it was not given at the time. Other than the fact that it appears on the heal bar and takes Healing sets, Absorption is not conceptually married to healing. Absorb makes more sense to me than Defense does for Force Field.

• Like 1

I personally don't get what the difference is between Absorb and Regen/Healing. I mean, if you allowed players to be "overhealed" and have that overhealing decay automatically... there'd be no practical difference. It really feels like Empathy's domain to me. Both powers essentially just increase your life meter.

• Like 3
I'm out.

On 6/21/2019 at 2:30 PM, The Philotic Knight said:

[*]Personal Force Field - Don't touch it, it's PERFECT for what it does. I love the new "can interact with things in the world, but it makes it suppressed but doesn't de-toggle". I don't know if SCoRE added this, or if it was added after I left in 2010, but it's AWESOME.

Sorry if this was addressed before, but my Personal Force Field on my Controller definitely doesn't do this; when on I'm stuck in "Only Affecting Self".

2 hours ago, The Philotic Knight said:

I personally don't get what the difference is between Absorb and Regen/Healing. I mean, if you allowed players to be "overhealed" and have that overhealing decay automatically... there'd be no practical difference. It really feels like Empathy's domain to me. Both powers essentially just increase your life meter.

Absorb is treated as one of two things currently:

1) Temp HP that enemies need to chew through to hit you. Classically, this is how Force Fields work in most media. You have your actual HP that is bad to take damage to, and then an over-shield that can take all the hits for you up to a point (be it time, a separate HP bar, 1 hit, etc). A FF power that granted +Def and +Absorb of some value would be greatly useful if we do not plan on nerfing the +Def you can get nowadays that invalidates FF's buffs.

2) A Refreshing "Damage Negation". Quick example being some of the Blaster Sustains, "Negating" absorb shields constantly refresh an amount of Absorption every second that acts as a barrier to incoming DPS. Say you gain a shield of 100 absorb every second, that lasts a second and cannot go beyond 100. This effectively cuts all damage per second totals down by 100 before they can effectively harm your HP.

These could both theoretically be used by a FF set to emulate the Force Fields being actually "there" on the characters where small amounts of damage simply get ignored by Dispersion Field for example, while larger Absorb Amounts could be on the more focused shielding. Adding absorb is not really "Healing" so much as another layer that enemies have to deal with before they hit your allies, which is the root of the FF theme anyways.

Add offense to the *Force* powers, add Absorb to the *Field* powers, and the theme is not compromised while suddenly being fresh and very relevant to the other stes and IO bonuses that have cropped up.

Edited by Galaxy Brain
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, xmenlegend said:

Sorry if this was addressed before, but my Personal Force Field on my Controller definitely doesn't do this; when on I'm stuck in "Only Affecting Self".

By that, I think Philotic means that you're still able to click on glowies and the like, which I most definitely can do with Personal Force Field up.

• Like 1

I personally read "Absorb" as a layer of "whatever" that has to be cut through before you can damage the person underneath it. That's why on the health bar it's a different color and why it's different from +Max HP, which otherwise does the same thing, with one exception. You can't use "Heal" powers to recover lost Absorption. Heals heal the character. Absorption adds a layer of something-other-than-the-character. What that "something" is could be virtually anything.

12 minutes ago, oedipus_tex said:

I personally read "Absorb" as a layer of "whatever" that has to be cut through before you can damage the person underneath it. That's why on the health bar it's a different color and why it's different from +Max HP, which otherwise does the same thing, with one exception. You can't use "Heal" powers to recover lost Absorption. Heals heal the character. Absorption adds a layer of something-other-than-the-character. What that "something" is could be virtually anything.

I interpret Force Field's defense boosts as doing exactly the same thing - an enemy will have to hit multiple times to actually make an attack land. In fact, I'd say it's even more fitting than the absorb mechanic, thematically speaking. Forcefields last until they don't, which is exactly how they work in practice, by constant hits until they actually give. A layer of protection so to speak.

But I don't think this route of discussion will really lead to anywhere fruitful. We can discuss forever about how X mechanic might better represent Force Fields. But the reality of the matter is that it is currently a powerset that boosts defense, manipulates enemy positions, and provides soft control. And there are players (including me) who like it that way.

So if others wish to propose changes which are heavily divergent from how Force Fields function now, then the onus is on them to say why it ought to change that way, rather than iterative, quality of life improvements, and why this is a better path than proposing a new powerset entirely - one that better suits one's sensibilities and viewpoints.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackfeather said:

I interpret Force Field's defense boosts as doing exactly the same thing - an enemy will have to hit multiple times to actually make an attack land. In fact, I'd say it's even more fitting than the absorb mechanic, thematically speaking. Forcefields last until they don't, which is exactly how they work in practice, by constant hits until they actually give. A layer of protection so to speak.

But I don't think this route of discussion will really lead to anywhere fruitful. We can discuss forever about how X mechanic might better represent Force Fields. But the reality of the matter is that it is currently a powerset that boosts defense, manipulates enemy positions, and provides soft control. And there are players (including me) who like it that way.

So if others wish to propose changes which are heavily divergent from how Force Fields function now, then the onus is on them to say why it ought to change that way, rather than iterative, quality of life improvements, and why this is a better path than proposing a new powerset entirely - one that better suits one's sensibilities and viewpoints.

In fairness, I think the argument that Force Field deserves something more is that we've gone around and around and around and around debating these same topics for almost 17 years now, and still the set is almost universally panned. What it was designed to do is not something that translates well into the mechanics of this game. 

Single target knockback without damage, intangiility, a version of Phase Shift with the graphic of a bubble, and whatever Repulsion Bomb is supposed to be (a control? an attack? it's bad at both) just aren't good. No amount of preserving them over the past nearly 2 decades has made them good. 

I remember when Repulsion Bomb was turned from the original complete trash version to just the so-so trash we have now. The original power was so terrible it almost defies description. It was an ally-cast buff that knocked enemies away from your teammate. Like a one-pulse Repel. It had the same 3.07 second animation it has now. I wish we had archived copies of the forums back then, because, believe it or not, people attacked the developers for "betraying the original vision of Force Field" by taking away the ally-cast feature.

IMO after 17 years its plain that the original version of Force Field never materialized because the game it was designed for never existed. Force Field's powers are not good. So it relies on big defense bubbles and 3 (EDIT: Sorry,  2. I was thinking of Sonic Resonance) of its powers can't even use IOs because every time it comes up the discussion turns to preserving the original vision instead of finally doing what it takes to fix this set. Which, among other things, means allowing some of its worst powers to actually slot some IOs.

Edited by oedipus_tex

27 minutes ago, oedipus_tex said:

In fairness, I think the argument that Force Field deserves something more is that we've gone around and around and around and around debating these same topics for almost 17 years now, and still the set is almost universally panned. What it was designed to do is not something that translates well into the mechanics of this game. 

Single target knockback without damage, intangiility, a version of Phase Shift with the graphic of a bubble, and whatever Repulsion Bomb is supposed to be (a control? an attack? it's bad at both) just aren't good. No amount of preserving them over the past nearly 2 decades has made them good. 

I remember when Repulsion Bomb was turned from the original complete trash version to just the so-so trash we have now. The original power was so terrible it almost defies description. It was an ally-cast buff that knocked enemies away from your teammate. Like a one-pulse Repel. It had the same 3.07 second animation it has now. I wish we had archived copies of the forums back then, because, believe it or not, people attacked the developers for "betraying the original vision of Force Field" by taking away the ally-cast feature.

IMO after 17 years its plain that the original version of Force Field never materialized because the game it was designed for never existed. Force Field's powers are not good. So it relies on big defense bubbles and 3 of its powers can't even use IOs because every time it comes up the discussion turns to preserving the original vision instead of finally doing what it takes to fix this set. Which, among other things, means allowing some of its worst powers to actually slot some IOs.

And there's the rub. You don't like how Force Field works. That's fine - there's plenty of other powersets out there that may fit your playstyle better. However, to then suggest dramatic changes to the power set because of your view that Force Field's powers are not good is not an adequate reason to warrant such upheaval.

Philotic agrees the powers in Force Field can be improved - I do too. But these improvements come from the viewpoint of people who enjoy how Force Field currently functions, and wish to build on what it currently does. I had a feeling that you weren't exactly fond of where Force Fields were, and indeed, this post has confirmed it.

So I shall reply with a quote from the original post of this thread: This is CoX Force Fields. If you want it to be another set entirely, or to change almost everything about it, then make your own thread and suggest your own new set.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blackfeather said:

I had a feeling that you weren't exactly fond of where Force Fields were, and indeed, this post has confirmed it.

Well the thread is called "buff Force Fields." 🙂 Some version of it has existed every day almost since the game started, discussing more or less the same things.. I don't happen to think anything I've suggested strays wildly outside of the realm of what a Force Field is. 

2 minutes ago, oedipus_tex said:

Well the thread is called "buff Force Fields." 🙂 Some version of it has existed every day almost since the game started, discussing more or less the same things.. I don't happen to think anything I've suggested strays wildly outside of the realm of what a Force Field is. 

that could just mean polish the force fields though!

ok, sorry, I'll show myself out

• Haha 1

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

18 minutes ago, oedipus_tex said:

Your incomplete comprehension of the original post is acknowledged. Here's a forum thread that might be more your speed. And I repeat: we're not discussing force fields in popular media, or arbitrary opinions of how force fields ought to act in game, but the CoX Force Field power set. That is the frame of reference with which these improvements are being iterated upon. The way it currently works clearly doesn't gel with your sensibilities however, so linked up there is the forum post to propose them.

5 hours ago, Galaxy Brain said:

So, if defense is saying that the force field takes hits for you until it runs out... explain when the hits go through via luck?

I guess what I am not understanding, or perhaps what I didn't convey, was that adding absorb *on top of* the defense would be bad...?

Simple - the force field is constantly regenerating, hits shorting it out for temporary amounts of time before it comes back online, which is when those hits don't go through. But I don't need to justify the existing mechanics, even if I personally see them as thematically accurate; they're already in the game.

The onus is on those who are proposing the use of new mechanics to explain why they'd be worth the change. Especially when there's other improvements proposed which complement how the set already functions, and are much more quality of life.

So I'll return the question: why the push for adding Absorb into Force Field so badly?

2 hours ago, Blackfeather said:

So I'll return the question: why the push for adding Absorb into Force Field so badly?

Per intent, it has been said the OG devs wanted to use Absorb in the set going forward. Thematically this also makes sense given the reasoning earlier in the thread.

Absorb acts as something you have to hit first before you can touch the player's HP, which is what a Force Field pretty much is. Laying Defense and Absorb together will provide a lot more defensive utility in the current meta as well given many sets have +Def but only one other set has +Absorb.  When many characters build to softcap anyways, adding an absorb layer with your shields will help out along with your added def.

• Like 1

• Retired Game Master

I played Force Fields as my secondary back at CoH launch and enjoyed it for the high defensive values I could offer. The knock back effects never really felt that impactful at the time or useful. Then ED happened and it made the set feel even more lackluster. The set really needs to bring more than just two things. Absorb would certainly help but I don't know if it alone would be enough to get me to try it again.

• Like 2

Feel free to say no, but adding to the list of possibilities, would it be feasible to add teleport to Dispersion Bomb so that it teleports struck enemies to its center point? Like as in you throw it, and everything within that radius teleports to the blast area's center point. That would be a positioning power I'd actually use, even with the extremely slow animation.

Edited by oedipus_tex

8 hours ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Per intent, it has been said the OG devs wanted to use Absorb in the set going forward. Thematically this also makes sense given the reasoning earlier in the thread.

If you could find that quote by the original devs (as Wikipedia says, citation needed), that would be much appreciated. I already made my statement clear about discussions on "what would be more thematic or not" however - that is to say, it's clearly a matter of personal interpretation, and thus a discussion that's inherently circular in nature. So I'm considering that an "agree to disagree" thing.

6 hours ago, GM Mathison said:

I played Force Fields as my secondary back at CoH launch and enjoyed it for the high defensive values I could offer. The knock back effects never really felt that impactful at the time or useful. Then ED happened and it made the set feel even more lackluster. The set really needs to bring more than just two things. Absorb would certainly help but I don't know if it alone would be enough to get me to try it again.

It's these sorts of statements that make me wonder where the more disparate changes to Force Field are coming from in the first place. Clearly there are already people who enjoy playing the power set, without extraneous mechanics (though naturally it could use improvements). But if drastic changes are required to have people just consider the power set, perhaps it's just not for them?

That's part of the reason why all these sweeping proposals rub me the wrong way; it's requesting Force Field to be something else for the sake of others who don't like how the set functions, even though there's already people around who are happy with how it works (though again, could use changes - just not ones that redefine the set). Perhaps that amount is in the minority, but that is not a valid reason to dismiss them.

6 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

Feel free to say no, but adding to the list of possibilities, would it be feasible to add teleport to Dispersion Bomb so that it teleports struck enemies to its center point? Like as in you throw it, and everything within that radius teleports to the blast area's center point. That would be a positioning power I'd actually use, even with the extremely slow animation.

If you meant Repulsion Bomb, then it's not a positioning power: it's soft control via knockdown and a chance to stun, with damage on the side. I understand that you don't like how Force Fields work - you've established that quite clearly already - but the least you can do is use the proper names of the powers in the set, and understand their functions (and again, here's a thread for Force Field reworks). And speaking as somebody who does like the power set, I personally enjoy what Repulsion Bomb does, though additional damage would be a very welcome change.

8 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

Yyyyyeah... Someone that doesn't even know the names of the powers PROBABLY shouldn't be one of the ones to guide the discussion of the changes to those powers. 

• Like 1
I'm out.

7 hours ago, Blackfeather said:

It's these sorts of statements that make me wonder where the more disparate changes to Force Field are coming from in the first place. Clearly there are already people who enjoy playing the power set, without extraneous mechanics (though naturally it could use improvements). But if drastic changes are required to have people just consider the power set, perhaps it's just not for them?

I had a FF/Dual Pistols Defender on live, who was conceptually one of my favourite characters.  I loved her costume and the look of her bubbles.  But she was one of the very few characters I played who felt less and less fun the higher she levelled.  Soft control is fine, but no one really cares about you carefully repositioning an enemy because they've already steamrollered over everything.  The bubbles were still...nice?  But because soft-capped Def was so common from sets and Leadership, I knew that most of the time no one would notice if I didn't bubble.  It was like turning up to a party with a really awesome bean dip, and discovering that everyone else brought their own.  I thought about setting her up to play well exemped and joining in low-level parties, but in the end I just shelved her.  If I was going to remake her now, I'd probably go for a Dual Pistols/FF Corr, and just not worry too much about the FF part.

It would be really nice to have FF shinied up a bit with something extra that stays at least a little more relevant in the late game, be that Absorb, Def Debuff, +Dam or whatever.

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

In the other hot topic threads, the idea of increased enemy difficulty could make extra Def worthwhile again, but that doesn't solve some of the core problems with competition. If FF had some means of adding Absorb alongside the +Def (Say, same Defense Values as now but also add in Absorb shielding here and there for layers) on top of Force Bolt / Repulsion Bomb becoming "proper" attacks the set will still remain more or less the same for vets while being boosted up a good notch

2 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

I had a FF/Dual Pistols Defender on live, who was conceptually one of my favourite characters.  I loved her costume and the look of her bubbles.  But she was one of the very few characters I played who felt less and less fun the higher she levelled.  Soft control is fine, but no one really cares about you carefully repositioning an enemy because they've already steamrollered over everything.  The bubbles were still...nice?  But because soft-capped Def was so common from sets and Leadership, I knew that most of the time no one would notice if I didn't bubble.  It was like turning up to a party with a really awesome bean dip, and discovering that everyone else brought their own.  I thought about setting her up to play well exemped and joining in low-level parties, but in the end I just shelved her.  If I was going to remake her now, I'd probably go for a Dual Pistols/FF Corr, and just not worry too much about the FF part.

It would be really nice to have FF shinied up a bit with something extra that stays at least a little more relevant in the late game, be that Absorb, Def Debuff, +Dam or whatever.

Steamrolling isn't a problem that's unique to any one power set - I'd argue that most if not all non-damaging powers are going to 'feel' irrelevant due to the sheer amount of people that are playing, be that from higher damage output, cumulative buffs, and what have you. That's not a Force Field issue, that's a system issue. Adding an Absorb mechanic isn't going to change that.

That being said, I'm kind of softening up to the idea, so long as the implementation of this is properly done (which is to say, Force Field functions and plays as is). So with that said, I'm thinking about something along the lines of adding features to the defense granting powers in the set: Deflection Shield, Insulation Shield, and Dispersion Bubble.

If the Absorb mechanic is considered, that's where I would put them, and implement them as Absorb over times (e.g. Spirit Ward), lasting the same duration as the defense boosts (they won't stack with successive applications of course, same as the boost to defenses) - I believe that's similar to what a good amount of Blasters have. How large of a temporary health gain this is, or how often it regenerates I'd leave as a question to the dev team.

Edited by Blackfeather
Added caveat.
  • Like 1

Just saw this thread.  I played a Bots/FF to 50 and beyond on live, and I may be biased a bit by having a primary that actually  kills things, but here some thoughts by me.

On 6/21/2019 at 11:30 AM, The Philotic Knight said:

]Personal Force Field - Don't touch it, it's PERFECT for what it does. I love the new "can interact with things in the world, but it makes it suppressed but doesn't de-toggle". I don't know if SCoRE added this, or if it was added after I left in 2010, but it's AWESOME.

I didn't know about this change either, not sure how I feel about it (and I haven't played it). I'd just make PFF add a bit of +Def and that's it (maybe around +7% to +10% or so).  It stacks with Dispersion Field and Leadership so you'd have to be careful to not go overboard.  Maybe Ranged and AoE only, but not Melee.  Done.  Possibly this is a power MMs shouldn't get because they'd be too tough with it.

]Force Bolt - This is a beautiful power for what it does, but I've found that at higher levels, there's less and less reason to use it, especially after I get Repulsion Field.

I always liked the single target mitigation FB provided, it's a much more precision tool that Rep. Field.  I also liked the -Fly in FB, that's very very handy (and a lot of folks don't know about, or maybe it was MMs only).  Maybe make it do a bit more damage for a primary, as a MM secondary it's fine.  Personally I would not change this at all.

]Detention Field - The "glass dome of DOOM" needs to change the way it works. I think this is the most problematic ability of the set. Either take off the "intangibility" aspect entirely and just change the effect into a regular "hold" while keeping the glass dome animation,

Just make it a regular hold.  If the Homecoming wants they can keep the the "oh shit" aspect of it and make it a Mag 4 or Mag 4.5 hold on a super long timer.  If not then just make it a Mag 2 or less hold on a regular timer, maybe even give it a small Targeted AoE effect to hold a small group.

]Repulsion Bomb - Bump the damage to that of a Blaster Tier 3 Blast, or a Blaster Tier 1 AoE attack damage, like Fire Ball (minus the DoT of course). Let's make this feel like a BOMB.

On live this just did KB I think and I dropped it fast.  If it does damage and KD it feels fine to me.  Upping the damage a bit would be nice but MMs do damage already, however AoE mitigation is always appreciated.

]Repulsion Field - Drop the toggle endurance cost by half. Otherwise, don't touch it, it's PERFECT for what it does.

]Force Bubble - This one is simple, for a Force Field Defender. The effect is AWESOME. It's a truly Gandalf "you shall not PASS"

These two I never played with much, mostly because I already had a wall of metal to stand behind.  What I personally would really like is an AoE power (not PBAoE) that gathers all enemies together.  Basically the reverse of AoE KB.  All mobs in the effect range get yoinked towards the center of the AoE effect.  This would be very handy and I think unique in the game and it would make the FF set truly distinct and sought after.  I think what I would do is combine Rep. Field and Force Bub. into ONE power that does ALL the "Keep away from me" and then add a new AoE (not PBAoE!!) that does the gather together thing. 

Just my two Inf.

Other powers that you identify as fine are also fine with me. 

Good luck to everyone on getting some improvements for FF!