Returning player - Need assistance

Zelebra

Hello all, 

I have been playing off and on, but now i want to really get things running here with the game more. I have varying degrees of knowledge about the game, but mostly need some assistance with how things work in certain areas...

**Incarnates - I do have a farmer +3 currently, but since i have been gone for so long, i wanted to know the best way to level my tabs, and gain resources to craft.

**Missions - With the release of Issue 27 P7, i wanted to get a better idea of how to form groups, join groups, and understand the reward structure.

**Leveling - With the nerfs to AE (i leveled back on live) and with the little time i had available years ago when Homecoming came out, i have lost a bit of knowledge when it comes to this. I have the usual understanding of Radios/Paper mish's, and TF's...but wouldn't mind more clarification and insight on how to improve.

**Badges/Achievements - This game has a sandbox feel, and allows players to really do whatever they want to a certain degree, but having some direction helps players go into territory they haven't been before. how can i find these area's to get places i need/want to go?

**Supergroups - Considering these can help me gain more knowledge and consistency in gameplay, what should i be looking for? i don't have a home here in CoH yet, and want to ensure i make the right choice.

I played when i was younger, with more reckless abandon and little to no knowledge in the beginning, just to have fun. But now i want to be a bit more serious and learn as many avenues about the game as i can. If anyone could give me insight to these areas, if not more, i would GREATLY appreciate it. 

Edited by Zelebra
Additional info
  • Thumbs Down 1

Incarnates - I don't play above level 30, so I know nothing of incarnates

Missions - the two ways to get groups are in your SG chat or in LFG chat.  The LFG automatic group forming is not used by people.  Posting in LFG that you are looking for a group does nothing.  People post in LFG that they have a group and need members.  You send a message to them directly and they add you to the team.

Leveling - AE farming is still the fast way to level.  You  can get a 2x XP boost from the START vendor and that is very common.

Badges - I don't do badges anymore (did it on live) but there must be a guide.  Check out the guides board on this site

Supergroups - There some very active SGs but SGs don't seem to be as big a deal as they were in live.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Zelebra said:

**Incarnates - I do have a farmer +3 currently, but since i have been gone for so long, i wanted to know the best way to level my tabs, and gain resources to craft.

I'll just speak to this one. If you need incarnate components and prefer to solo, check my signature for a guide to running the Heather Townshend arc in Dark Astoria. You can get an incarnate component roll every 15 minutes (probably less).

If you prefer teaming, I really think a Speed Lambda iTrial is the way to go. Each run is about 12 minutes long with an incarnate salvage roll at the end, so if you get a group that sticks together it's really easy to run several in a row because you don't have the downtime in recruiting. It's also a very easy trial to lead, so you don't have to wait for others to run it. Honestly, I run it sometimes on my secret secondary account without giving any instructions - people just know what to do.

• Thanks 1

Oklahoman, Okie, Vayne Glorious, Sooner Magic, Treehugging Wacko, Boy Band, etc

Farming Incarnate Salvage - 1 salvage roll every 15 minutes!  ||  Why NO TELLS to join your little MSR thing?

Using DEMORECORD To Find Who Is Sabotaging Lambda Badge Runs  ||  https://www.twitch.tv/oklahomancoh

Excelsior Bases: The Sooner State (OK-8602), Atlas Records (ROCK-29730), Generic Heroes (G-16581), Sooner Nation (SOONER-8490)

your best way to learn things is to play.  period.  at 50 everything helps with incarnate, some a lot more than others.  read Oklahoman's guide.  

Doug covered everything else pretty well.

Badges are tough.  25% fall in your lap.  Sort of.  You can bop through every zone in the game and get location badges and history plaques for about 530? badges.  and merits.  Takes 4? hours non stop if you know it.  10+ if not.  Some of the maps and badges are really....interesting.  

For badges the most important ones are badges that give accolade powers.  Check homecoming wiki, then laser focus on getting those.  The rest...happen.  The more you play one toon the more you collect.

• Like 1

Welcome back to the game @Zelebra! Always good to see returning players. :)

Incarnates - In general, I believe farmers and Incarnates will be separate things. I don't do it myself because I find it particularly boring but AE farming is still a thing and most will build a character to maximize gain in the farm since the created mobs will be very specific, doing so would not equal a good Incarnate build as iTrials will have a much wider range of foes to deal with.  Other will be able to better speak about this.

Missions - The only way to learn is to go out and do. Skipping content by PL'ing your character is not going to learn you much in the way of forming/leading teams/leagues. Joining other teams, especially regularly run TF's/SF's like Torch's SNS (Saturday Night Synapse) and following (and taking note of) the instructions of the League leader is a good way to learn how to be a good leader yourself.

Leveling - See missions.

Badging - Install VidiotMaps for things like exploration badges and plaques, install popmenus for keeping track of everything badge related. There are threads for both and a dedicated Badging section in the forums.

SG's - Check the server sections in the forums as well as on Discord for SG's offering invites. Personally, I'd recommend teaming with folks first to find a like-minded group of people before just jumping into any SG.

Go. Hunt. Kill Skuls.

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Random thoughts by me:

31 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

Missions - the two ways to get groups are in your SG chat or in LFG chat.  The LFG automatic group forming is not used by people.  Posting in LFG that you are looking for a group does nothing.  People post in LFG that they have a group and need members.  You send a message to them directly and they add you to the team.

To send someone a message directly, click on their name in chat.  This can be any chat window, but if you're looking at the LFG chat it's easiest to just click there.  Left click, you'll get at pop up with the top of the menu saying "Send a Message to [name]".  That's the easiest way to respond to people in LFG chat who are looking for more members.

Posting in LFG chat that you are looking for more folks to help you with a mission does work.  (Posting that you are solo and looking for any team tends not to work.)  If you are looking for stuff to do and nothing seems to be happening, try looking through your contacts, finding a mission, and starting your own team.  You can usually get at least two or three members even during slow times.

It's true that the LFG queue (the auto-team function) tends not to work.  It's been buggy since live and nearly everyone avoids it except for some missions where it's required or as a fast travel hack.  One day in the future they might get this to work.

17 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Missions - The only way to learn is to go out and do. Skipping content by PL'ing your character is not going to learn you much in the way of forming/leading teams/leagues. Joining other teams ...following... instructions of the League leader is a good way to learn how to be a good leader yourself.

A little of column a and a little of column b for me.  Running some missions and arcs solo, and running some missions with small teams, is a great way to learn how your powers really work and how to use them on various types of enemies.  I'd recommend you take some time to do this every 10 levels or so, at least, so you can feel like you're playing your character correctly.

OTOH grinding XP can get boring, there's level ranges where the content isn't great or to your liking, so no worries power leveling if you're bored.  I do it all the time myself.  If you are just leveling up, take a look at the Temporary Powers that START (used to be P2W) has, the level boosters will help you get more XP for the time you spend.

I'm making a small plug for a Guide I published recently on leveling from 1 to 20. It's up-to-date with the Page 7 changes that dropped yesterday.

As you're a returnee, you're probably familiar with many of these steps already, but I think it will be helpful to you to see how someone else plays, sets up their characters, earn influence and generally progress through the game. You do not have to play this way at all. Farming is still well and alive, and many players skip through parts of the content they don't like either through trials like DFB or joining radio mission teams.

I think the others covered your questions about incarnates, SGs, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you for all the information.

I have played for quite some time when homecoming came back, and am fairly familiar with the game. However since it was quite awhile back, i didn't know if certain things have changed, but it doesn't seem so.

Can't wait to start the grind again...missed this game and everything/everyone in it.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Zelebra said:

**Badges/Achievements - This game has a sandbox feel, and allows players to really do whatever they want to a certain degree, but having some direction helps players go into territory they haven't been before. how can i find these area's to get places i need/want to go?

Head to the Wiki and to Badges

I use the Accomplishment list when I do Flashback to ensure I get the right badges. That is the hero list; there is a villain.

Forums  - a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

"it will be a forum for consumers to exchange their views on medical research"

Spam Response- Spam, in the context of cybersecurity, refers to any unsolicited and often irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent over the internet.