Arsenal is is a new powerset, but....

Diantane

4 hours ago, Diantane said:

...it's really nothing new. Its the same powers we have always had with new names. Plus some powers came from different archetypes. Like a dominator getting Cloaking Device and Targeting Drone.

And yet it will feel to play differently.

I would argue there are some differences.  For example, Smoke Canister which has a gnarly -ToHit debuff (which stacks really nicely with Flash Arrow for some crazy -ToHit), but also a triggered confuse where they don't get confused until aggroed.  I don't think there's another power that works this way.  It's not ground braking, of course, but it is interesting and kind of a neeto take on things.  So it does have some interesting mechanics.  Also Tri-cannon, while all single target lethal damage, taunts (and interestingly enough, currently takes Taunt sets, including Perfect Zinger Psi damage proc).  It's not a proc monster by any stretch, but the taunt is noticeable.

After playing 4 different Arsenal controllers now it feels a LOT like electric control in that it's very control focused and very little damage.  Pairing it with a secondary which doesn't offer additional damage  (such as trick arrow, traps, storm) makes it kind of a slog solo, but I really enjoy it.  I personally like the set, but I can see why others might not like.  It does offer many different kinds of control\debuffs though, which maybe is what sets it apart to me (knock down, stun, AoE confuse, -ToHit, Sleep, -dmg, hold, -fly).  The only thing it's really missing is -def and -res.

• Like 2
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

55 minutes ago, evetsleep said:

I would argue there are some differences.  For example, Smoke Canister which has a gnarly -ToHit debuff (which stacks really nicely with Flash Arrow for some crazy -ToHit), but also a triggered confuse where they don't get confused until aggroed.  I don't think there's another power that works this way.  It's not ground braking, of course, but it is interesting and kind of a neeto take on things.  So it does have some interesting mechanics.  Also Tri-cannon, while all single target lethal damage, taunts (and interestingly enough, currently takes Taunt sets, including Perfect Zinger Psi damage proc).  It's not a proc monster by any stretch, but the taunt is noticeable.

After playing 4 different Arsenal controllers now it feels a LOT like electric control in that it's very control focused and very little damage.  Pairing it with a secondary which doesn't offer additional damage  (such as trick arrow, traps, storm) makes it kind of a slog solo, but I really enjoy it.  I personally like the set, but I can see why others might not like.  It does offer many different kinds of control\debuffs though, which maybe is what sets it apart to me (knock down, stun, AoE confuse, -ToHit, Sleep, -dmg, hold, -fly).  The only thing it's really missing is -def and -res.

And with it's stealth ability, it allows one to get in close for the controls before they react, which for other sets have to rely on the secondary for that.  Which is also nice, is I combine it with a stealth IO in Combat Jumping for complete invis.

And the pet...SOOOO survivable!

3 hours ago, BrandX said:

And with it's stealth ability, it allows one to get in close for the controls before they react, which for other sets have to rely on the secondary for that.  Which is also nice, is I combine it with a stealth IO in Combat Jumping for complete invis.

Yeah, with 80% base resistance to everything it's trivial capping it at 90% for some secondaries..not that it needs it.  I've stopped worrying about it with my arse\thermal as it just doesn't take enough damage.  Instead I just make sure that Forge is constantly on it.  It would certainly be nice if the set had a little more damage capability, but (like electric) that can often be mitigated by picking a secondary that brings that to the table if you really need it.

2 hours ago, PyroBeetle said:

Adding the Sorcery pool is also a way to increase damage, with Enflame for a small AoE patch and Arcane Bolt for a ST filler

And for ST, it wasn't bad either, at least on a Scrapper, not sure how it does for a Troller.

3 hours ago, BrandX said:

And for ST, it wasn't bad either, at least on a Scrapper, not sure how it does for a Troller.

It's amazing on a troller.  Triple damage when it procs along with containment.

My only problem with acane bolt is the cast time.  I almost never use it while teaming since it almost always is corpse blasting.  Solo it's fabulous.

17 hours ago, evetsleep said:

I.  Pairing it with a secondary which doesn't offer additional damage  (such as trick arrow) makes it kind of a slog solo, but I really enjoy it) The only thing it's really missing is -def and -res

See I went Trick Arrow for several reasons. I dont have a Trick Arrow characer. Trick Arrow has Acid Arrow for -def. -res and Disruption Arrow also has -res. Oil Slick Arrow comes later which will add some damage. My plan however is to make mobs lives a living hell and control the battlefield.. I think tis build will do that.. 

• Like 2

Trick Arrow would be good, but I already have an Illusion/TA.

I went Arsenal/Traps. With Tri-Cannon, Trip Mines, and Temporal Bomb, should be super gadgety. Since I love AR/Dev blasting, this should bring the same feel, no where near the damage I know, but perhaps some Fold Space can be utilized. Ooooh yes, that is my goal.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

On 2/26/2024 at 12:28 PM, BrandX said:

For what i ve Seen IG, the stealth io isn't necessary. The stealth power IS enough to reach invis cap. I've got only cloaking device and no mob notice me.

I think it has enough identity.

Almost every power out there has some amount of overlap with others.

The unique flavor here is:

• Lots of location aoes - very handy for strategic approaches (behind walls, etc)
  • No aoe immob. I know this is a complaint some have, but it adds a different approach to managing mob position. Not even mind can claim this quality now. The sleep becomes the closest proxy, and I haven't really missed the immob much myself.

As far as the powers themselves go:

• Tranq - similar to mesmerize.
  • Cryo Freeze Ray - standard hold.
  • Sleep Grenade - some elements in common with static field, but different debuff effects, and has a damage component.
  • Liquid Nitrogen - Fair enough - pretty much Ice Slick
  • Cloaking Device - Similar to superior invis
  • Smoke Canister - Very interesting power with a unique condition for triggering its mez.
  • Flash Bang - Standard aoe stun.
  • Tear Gas - Closest to Shadow Field, but with a different debuff.
  • Tri cannon - Pretty similar to blaster pet.

So basically three pretty unique powers, 2 totally standard, and the rest have limited cross-over with specific sets. Take a look at most any other primary and you won't find this pattern to be hugely different. Probably the biggest thing that might stand a change in my view is to make the pet more interesting.

Edited by Onlyasandwich

The draw for me is simple. A technology/gadget based control set.. a flavor or control that the has not previously existed for player characters. 

Edited by tjknight
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Isulkian said:

For what i ve Seen IG, the stealth io isn't necessary. The stealth power IS enough to reach invis cap. I've got only cloaking device and no mob notice me.

I will have to test it out.  Maybe it's equal to Superior Invisibility from Illusion Control.  I figured it was just a normal stealth ability.

On 2/26/2024 at 3:37 PM, PyroBeetle said:

Adding the Sorcery pool is also a way to increase damage, with Enflame for a small AoE patch and Arcane Bolt for a ST filler

Trying that now myself as well......

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, BrandX said:

I will have to test it out.  Maybe it's equal to Superior Invisibility from Illusion Control.  I figured it was just a normal stealth ability.

I run around with it on all the time, no stealth proc...only things that see me are those that would see my stalkers.

Blah blah blah.  Still fun to play.

• Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

On 2/26/2024 at 6:21 PM, evetsleep said:

It's amazing on a troller.  Triple damage when it procs along with containment.

My only problem with acane bolt is the cast time.  I almost never use it while teaming since it almost always is corpse blasting.  Solo it's fabulous.

It's kind of funny that the power that has heavy synergy with the tech-themed control set is from the magic-themed power pool.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Rikmach said:

It's kind of funny that the power that has heavy synergy with the tech-themed control set is from the magic-themed power pool.

Yep, my Ice / Traps junkbot has it. Enflame is fine but I wish there were alt-animations / FX for Arcane, RoP and the flight.

Although flambè Jack raises even more questions.

Animations are one of the harder things to add when designing a set so I applaud the Homecoming team for playing it smart with Arsenal. 

Powers are a nice remix too. I don't mind that.