Swordless Fire/Ice Melee

This and an all sword set of animations for both fire and ice have been requested before. They would need new animations created for those sets, and animations are probably the biggest holdup in adding things to this game. Though this request (and the all sword option) has rather robust support from the players.

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, Rudra said:

This and an all sword set of animations for both fire and ice have been requested before. They would need new animations created for those sets, and animations are probably the biggest holdup in adding things to this game. Though this request (and the all sword option) has rather robust support from the players.

That's fair. Didn't the Paragon Studios folk do the maletless stone melee by reusing another animation and just fidgeting it to be the same speed as the mallet animation?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, TheKiwiBirb said:

That's fair. Didn't the Paragon Studios folk do the maletless stone melee by reusing another animation and just fidgeting it to be the same speed as the mallet animation?

*shrug* I don't know. Last I heard though, the dev team only has 1 animator.

52 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Why would it be any different than Rad Melee just reusing other melee animations with a new particle? Take any of the many melee animations and slap fire or ice  hands on it.

Edited by Super Atom
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Super Atom said:

Why would it be any different than Rad Melee just reusing other melee animations with a new particle? Take any of the many melee animations and slap fire or ice  hands on it.

You're asking the wrong person. And even if other animations were to be used, the animator has to work with the animations to get the timing right and change out the linked particle effects.

Just now, Rudra said:

You're asking the wrong person. And even if other animations were to be used, the animator has to work with the animations to get the timing right and change out the linked particle effects.

Well why did you even say it if you didn't know if it was true or not lol

They already speed up or slow down animations fairly often, they just did it with thunder strike.

3 minutes ago, Super Atom said:

Well why did you even say it if you didn't know if it was true or not lol

They already speed up or slow down animations fairly often, they just did it with thunder strike.

I said it because in my experience from additions to the game, many times they make new animations. (Edit: And speeding up or slowing down an animation already in the set is not as work intensive as converting an animation from one set to another.)

Edited by Rudra

13 minutes ago, Super Atom said:

I haven't seen them add a new melee animation, can you cite a source or example?

I haven't seen them add anything new to melee on HC. So the last example I can give is Radiation Melee or the alternate animation for Foot Stomp. Foot Stomp got it added on Live though and I believe Radiation Melee was developed on Live but not released until the game showed up as a pirate server incorporating the incomplete work from Live. (Edit: The only animations I can remember undergoing changes are Thunder Strike for being sped up in the latest patch, and the new power sets. At least as far as HC goes.)

Edited by Rudra

16 minutes ago, Rudra said:

I said it because in my experience from additions to the game, many times they make new animations. (Edit: And speeding up or slowing down an animation already in the set is not as work intensive as converting an animation from one set to another.)

Total Focus and Tremor aren't using different animations, it's the same animation with a different particle effect. Which many sets in this game do. Air Superiority, Haymaker, Bone Smasher, Havoc Punch, Lingering Radiation, and more things I can't think of all use the same animation, for example.

2 minutes ago, Crimsanotic said:

Total Focus and Tremor aren't using different animations, it's the same animation with a different particle effect. Which many sets in this game do. Air Superiority, Haymaker, Bone Smasher, Havoc Punch, Lingering Radiation, and more things I can't think of all use the same animation, for example.

I'm not arguing that. I know several powers use the same animations. All I am saying is that the request has been made before, multiple times, it has support from the players, and implementing it will take time from what I believe is the lone animator on the dev team. (Edit: Regardless of whether new animations are made or existing animations are repurposed.)

Edited by Rudra

The  real reason I'm ASSUMING they haven't done it is limited development time and as explained previously, they kinda work on what they want to or work on whats planned. It may just not be in the cards (yet). The animation itself is likely not the issue.

They very likely know this is in demand as you said before, it very supported by the players and likely the devs themselves.

For Fire Sword Circle, just straight up removing the sword from your hands but keeping the same animation otherwise would look fine honestly, like you're smashing your fist into the ground. 

For the ST sword attacks, that just means we need to find something 1.33s to replace most of them (Greater Fire Sword is 1.37 but close enough) and 2.33s to replace Greater Ice Sword. I don't know of any matches for this off the top of my head. Might need to get creative with animation sequencers but that's more dev work involved. 

EDIT: Looks like Shin Breaker from STJ is 1.33s, but it might feel weird considering it's a kick instead of a punch/smash. But at least no sword. Rib Cracker is another viable subsitute. Barrage from Energy Melee is a third candidate and probably the most fitting, ship it.

Now just to find a replacement for Greater Ice Sword...it's really hard to find other melee powers near the 2.33s animation time range. 

Edited by FupDup

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

15 hours ago, FupDup said:

EDIT: Looks like Shin Breaker from STJ is 1.33s, but it might feel weird considering it's a kick instead of a punch/smash. But at least no sword. Rib Cracker is another viable subsitute. Barrage from Energy Melee is a third candidate and probably the most fitting, ship it.

Literally just put an icicle on your knee like Sub-Zero for the Ice Melee version. For Fiery Melee just put some fire on your leg like you're a firebender, I guess.

16 hours ago, ninja surprise said:

I'd love it if this happens.

It's always bugged me that half the attacks are fiery fists and half are a random scimitar for some reason.

I feel the same way about the fire breathing attacks (in both ranged and melee sets).  It's like hey, I can set my hands on fire and throw the fire and create flaming swords...  Hey, just to be different, every now and again I'll spit it out of my mouth when there's a few enemies in front of me.

I wish we had alternate animations for the fire blast set to make more/all of the attacks from the mouth so I could make a true fire-breathing fiend. 

• Haha 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

20 hours ago, Rudra said:

It's been done in another community for Ice Melee, FWIW (although one of the animations is bugged...but it's using the Ice Slash animation which is also bugged on HC...).