Fly Trap

Allow me to introduce you to Gremlins.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

On 3/9/2024 at 9:44 AM, Uun said:

Allow me to introduce you to Gremlins.

What OMG!  I am an electric controller almost to the lvl to pick gremlins.  Are they not good?

5 minutes ago, OdinAZ said:

What OMG!  I am an electric controller almost to the lvl to pick gremlins.  Are they not good?

Electric needs all the damage it can get, so I wouldn't skip them, but they don't compare to Animate Stone, Singularity, Umbra Beast or even Jack Frost. They are similar to Fire Imps and seem to have the same AI. 

• Like Fire Imps, they are summoned at -1 to your level. They only have S/L/E resistance and no mezz protection. If you don't buff/heal them, they will die a lot.
  • They have 2 attacks, Electric Brawl (melee) and Jolting Chain (ranged), plus a damage aura. They are programmed to prefer melee.
  • Other than -end and KD in Jolting Chain, they have no debuffs.
  • They are quick to run off and aggro other spawns, particularly if there are runners.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

On paper they seem pretty decent, but the -1 level and aggro ai cause them to disappear quickly as @Uun noted.

If you have a really compelling alternative, it's one of the only controller pets I would even consider skipping. Even so, you can definitely leverage your defensive tools to make them worthwhile. 

5 hours ago, OdinAZ said:

They're not great but don't skip them. Electric control does awful damage and you'll need *something* to help you at least a little. My electric controller (50, and built) can lock down almost anything and keep it there. Can it damage anything, though? Not really. Even at +0 X8 with pre-patch Council, it would take me 5 - 8 minutes per mob because the damage wasn't there. I ended up buying a Backup Radio to help, and I tend to always keep that controller, as well as certain other toons, with a stack of them for additional help.

Mind Control has the worst pet!

Fly Trap is actually pretty good. It's robust, not as stupid as some and survives along side you. Don't measure a pet's effectiveness by it's DPS alone. Fly Trap does some good debuffing too and combined with other plant powers well worth the investment in slots

• Like 2

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

if you just need more damage on a controller look at Arcane Bolt or Toxic Dart.  Since the revamp to pool powers they both do good damage. 

Toxic Dart has a very fast recharge time.

Arcane Bolt has a slower recharge but every power you activate has a chance to immediately recharge arcane bolt and give it a chance of a power boost.

I take arcane bolt with clicky controllers (like electric affinity) and toxic dart for controllers with fewer clicky powers (like force field).

Fly trap is far from the greatest, but slotting an Achilles Heel -res alone can make it worth it.  Assuming you can keep it alive (usually easier on controller than dom of course).  Typically do one of those and the 4 expedient reinforcement.

And yeah, my first thought when it comes to poor pets was gremlins as well.  Electric control is probably the lowest damaging control set now since ice control was buffed, and then you get "rewarded" with silly gremlins.   And at least Jack Frost actually hits pretty hard and comes with 25% built in defense.

29 minutes ago, Riverdusk said:

And at least Jack Frost actually hits pretty hard and comes with 25% built in defense.

I played Ice Control on live before they gave Jack defense and fixed his AI. So painful.

10 hours ago, OdinAZ said:

Everything in this game is good and viable to play, promise!  You'll be fine.  😃

• Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

14 hours ago, Ael said:

My electric controller (50, and built) can lock down almost anything and keep it there. 

This is kind of where I am.  My electric/dark can lock down and debuff anything.  But low on damage.  So many times I was like: "If I only had a pet scrapper this would go so much faster"

19 hours ago, Uun said:

Electric needs all the damage it can get, so I wouldn't skip them, but they don't compare to Animate Stone, Singularity, Umbra Beast or even Jack Frost. They are similar to Fire Imps and seem to have the same AI. 

• Like Fire Imps, they are summoned at -1 to your level. They only have S/L/E resistance and no mezz protection. If you don't buff/heal them, they will die a lot.
  • They have 2 attacks, Electric Brawl (melee) and Jolting Chain (ranged), plus a damage aura. They are programmed to prefer melee.
  • Other than -end and KD in Jolting Chain, they have no debuffs.
  • They are quick to run off and aggro other spawns, particularly if there are runners.

But . . .But they have electrolytes which Plant Controllers crave.

• Haha 1
  • Staff of Aesculapius 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

3 hours ago, OdinAZ said:

This is kind of where I am.  My electric/dark can lock down and debuff anything.  But low on damage.  So many times I was like: "If I only had a pet scrapper this would go so much faster"

I have an Electric/Dark as well. Gremlins definitely help with damage. If you can keep Dark Servant near them, he'll keep them alive.

On 3/10/2024 at 5:26 PM, DougGraves said:

Arcane Bolt has a slower recharge but every power you activate has a chance to immediately recharge arcane bolt and give it a chance of a power boost.

And since it benefits from containment, a power boosted bolt on a contained target actually does a significant amount of damage. I've hit stuff for over 400 damage with it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WumpusRat said:

And since it benefits from containment, a power boosted bolt on a contained target actually does a significant amount of damage. I've hit stuff for over 400 damage with it.

Yep, good power now for my controllers where I almost always try to fit it in.  I do wish a more natural or tech origin pool had something as good.  I can make almost anything work RP wise, but it is still a stretch making arcane bolt fit theme wise when I take something like /traps as my secondary.

of course the worst thing you can do is trap something in your fly, which invariably results in tears and a funny walk

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.