The Acolyte

This thing I find so baffling is when fans said “this isn’t what we want”, the reply from the people in charge was “it’s not for you anyways”.

Doctor Who did the same thing.

Fair enough.

But then they get mad and have tantrums because the fans don’t watch or like it?!?

You already told them they wouldn’t like it and that it wasn’t for them.  What did you honestly think would happen?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

You already told them they wouldn’t like it and that it wasn’t for them.  What did you honestly think would happen?

They've done this over and over again starting with Ghostbusters 2016, did you just notice that this has been happening?

• Like 2

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

This thing I find so baffling is when fans said “this isn’t what we want”, the reply from the people in charge was “it’s not for you anyways”.

Doctor Who did the same thing.

Fair enough.

But then they get mad and have tantrums because the fans don’t watch or like it?!?

I”ll try to lend a little clarity here.  This is what I think is happening and where the disconnect is:

Star Wars, in its original form (I’m talking about the original trilogy from the 70’s and 80’s here; the one that many of us, including myself, cut our teeth on when we were kids) is a product of its time.  It’s a traditional, Campbellian hero's journey, about a young man discovering that he’s the heir to a great heroic legacy, then going off to perform said heroic deeds. In this story, we have 1 female protagonist (Leia), 1 black protagonist (Lando- at least for the last two movies) and everyone else is a straight, white guy.  This is not uncommon for entertainment media of that era (and still not terribly uncommon now though, of course, that is rapidly changing- as indeed it should, IMO).

Most of the Star Wars fans who were cultivated during this era were (like myself) boys and young men.  The original Star Wars trilogy really was an adventure story written mostly for boys and men that was mostly about the adventures of boys and men (this is not a criticism; I love the original Star Wars Trilogy and will always love it.  When I tell people it’s white male-oriented entertainment, that’s just a fact.  Again, this is typical of entertainment media of the time we grew up in.)  So, a very large portion of the Star Wars fan base is composed of these straight, young, white men and boys that grew up watching the stuff.  No great surprise here, I think.  That is as it may be. 

But here’s the thing:  Some of the fan base (a much smaller subset, I think) are women, queer people,  and people of color that also love the franchise, for all of the same reasons that us straight white guys love it (high adventure, quippy dialogue, booming orchestral tracks, and dazzling special effects).  But, just like we straight white guys (again, understand- I am one of the straight white guys), women, queer people, and people of color would like to see other human beings like themselves represented in the fictional universe that they love.

So, what Leslye Headland and others mean when they say that “It’s not for you”, is that the show is not really written specifically to appeal to the (admittedly huge) part of the fan base that is composed of straight, white men.  This is a story set in the Star Wars universe that is meant to provide a space where fans who are women, queer, and people of color can enjoy a show about protagonists that represent people just like them.

And that’s okay.  There should be a space for stories set in the franchise that are not mainly about straight white guys.  We (meaning myself and other straight white guys) did not think there was anything wrong with having just one female protagonist, one black protagonist, and no queer protagonists in the OT.  It was pretty much just about the white guys, and that was fine by us.

But the problem is, now that we have a show that inverts that dynamic, all of us straight white guys are *blanking* our pants over it.  Now, I don’t think this is conscious.  What I mean by that, is I don’t think most straight, white men who are fans of the franchise are actively trying to be sexist/racist.  But subconsciously, I think they’re having a sexist/racist knee-jerk reaction to the inversion of the straight/white coded entertainment that is familiar and comfortable to them.

It actually reminds me of an anecdote from the late Supreme Court justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg.  She related a story about  how she confided to some person that was interviewing her  that, one day, she would like to see a Supreme Court comprised of all-women judges.

The person interviewing her was shocked and scandalized by this.  Isn’t that a sexist position, Judge Ginsberg?  To which she replied (quite fairly, I think), that up until very recently in history, the Supreme Court had always been composed entirely of men, and the men seemed to be perfectly okay with that.  Why shouldn’t women get the same treatment?  Of course, she was really just trying to make a point here:  And that is that the unconscious (or overt- but many times I think it’s unconscious, because we men take our male-dominated world for granted and don’t often pause to think about it- or what it would feel like to live in a world as something other than the straight, white men that we are) hypocrisy of male thinking.

The reason Headland and others are upset is not because the fans are angry about this (they expected some of that, of course.  This fan base is  made up largely of straight, white guys, after all), but that they are being verbally savaged like dogs (one video by a guy I saw literally compared Headland, physically, to a Pug dog.  Why is this sort of petty, mean, and demeaning personal attack relevant to any criticism of the media itself, as a story or art form?)  The answer is, it’s not.  It’s a cruel, sexist attack on a female showrunner, by an outraged white guy that feels like his personal space is threatened.

That kind of thing is NOT okay and yes, of course Headland and other women (and queer, and brown) people pouring their creative hearts out into the show are angered by it (as, IMO, they should be).

Edited by Triumphant
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

@PeregineFalcon

I see that responded with a laughing emote approximately 3 seconds after I posted my reply, which means you didn't actually bother to read it.

This is disappointing, but not unexpected.

So it goes.

• Haha 1

On 6/9/2024 at 9:01 AM, BrandX said:

My only expectation for Star Wars, was for the sequels to follow Heir to the Empire...at the very least give us Luke, Leia and Han as they were in the books.

I knew they weren't going to give us the next chapter as they were obviously to afraid to recast Luke, Leia and Han for the sequels.  

I didn't expect them to kill them all off and ruin their characters tho.

When The Last Jedi assassinated the character of Luke Skywalker and killed off Admiral Ackbar off screen, I was pretty much done with Star Wars.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Triumphant said:

I”ll try to lend a little clarity here.  This is what I think is happening and where the disconnect is:

Star Wars, in its original form (I’m talking about the original trilogy from the 70’s and 80’s here; the one that many of us, including myself, cut our teeth on when we were kids) is a product of its time.  It’s a traditional, Campbellian hero's journey, about a young man discovering that he’s the heir to a great heroic legacy, then going off to perform said heroic deeds. In this story, we have 1 female protagonist (Leia), 1 black protagonist (Lando- at least for the last two movies) and everyone else is a straight, white guy.  This is not uncommon for entertainment media of that era (and still not terribly uncommon now though, of course, that is rapidly changing- as indeed it should, IMO).

Most of the Star Wars fans who were cultivated during this era were (like myself) boys and young men.  The original Star Wars trilogy really was an adventure story written mostly for boys and men that was mostly about the adventures of boys and men (this is not a criticism; I love the original Star Wars Trilogy and will always love it.  When I tell people it’s white male-oriented entertainment, that’s just a fact.  Again, this is typical of entertainment media of the time we grew up in.)  So, a very large portion of the Star Wars fan base is composed of these straight, young, white men and boys that grew up watching the stuff.  No great surprise here, I think.  That is as it may be. 

But here’s the thing:  Some of the fan base (a much smaller subset, I think) are women, queer people,  and people of color that also love the franchise, for all of the same reasons that us straight white guys love it (high adventure, quippy dialogue, booming orchestral tracks, and dazzling special effects).  But, just like we straight white guys (again, understand- I am one of the straight white guys), women, queer people, and people of color would like to see other human beings like themselves represented in the fictional universe that they love.

So, what Leslye Headland and others mean when they say that “It’s not for you”, is that the show is not really written specifically to appeal to the (admittedly huge) part of the fan base that is composed of straight, white men.  This is a story set in the Star Wars universe that is meant to provide a space where fans who are women, queer, and people of color can enjoy a show about protagonists that represent people just like them.

And that’s okay.  There should be a space for stories set in the franchise that are not mainly about straight white guys.  We (meaning myself and other straight white guys) did not think there was anything wrong with having just one female protagonist, one black protagonist, and no queer protagonists in the OT.  It was pretty much just about the white guys, and that was fine by us.

But the problem is, now that we have a show that inverts that dynamic, all of us straight white guys are *blanking* our pants over it.  Now, I don’t think this is conscious.  What I mean by that, is I don’t think most straight, white men who are fans of the franchise are actively trying to be sexist/racist.  But subconsciously, I think they’re having a sexist/racist knee-jerk reaction to the inversion of the straight/white coded entertainment that is familiar and comfortable to them.

It actually reminds me of an anecdote from the late Supreme Court justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg.  She related a story about  how she confided to some person that was interviewing her  that, one day, she would like to see a Supreme Court comprised of all-women judges.

The person interviewing her was shocked and scandalized by this.  Isn’t that a sexist position, Judge Ginsberg?  To which she replied (quite fairly, I think), that up until very recently in history, the Supreme Court had always been composed entirely of men, and the men seemed to be perfectly okay with that.  Why shouldn’t women get the same treatment?  Of course, she was really just trying to make a point here:  And that is that the unconscious (or overt- but many times I think it’s unconscious, because we men take our male-dominated world for granted and don’t often pause to think about it- or what it would feel like to live in a world as something other than the straight, white men that we are) hypocrisy of male thinking.

The reason Headland and others are upset is not because the fans are angry about this (they expected some of that, of course.  This fan base is  made up largely of straight, white guys, after all), but that they are being verbally savaged like dogs (one video by a guy I saw literally compared Headland, physically, to a Pug dog.  Why is this sort of petty, mean, and demeaning personal attack relevant to any criticism of the media itself, as a story or art form?)  The answer is, it’s not.  It’s a cruel, sexist attack on a female showrunner, by an outraged white guy that feels like his personal space is threatened.

That kind of thing is NOT okay and yes, of course Headland and other women (and queer, and brown) people pouring their creative hearts out into the show are angered by it (as, IMO, they should be).

When you chase away the largest audience for an established franchise, laugh at them and tell them if you don't like it, don't watch you also can't blame them for following your advice.

• Like 2

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

51 minutes ago, Triumphant said:

I see that responded with a laughing emote approximately 3 seconds after I posted my reply, which means you didn't actually bother to read it.

Well, you're wrong again. It wasn't 3 seconds and yes I did read your post.

The problem with your explanation is that you're about halfway to the truth. The truth is that recent shows and movies, woke details aside, suck. This isn't because they're woke, the quality of Hollywood's writing has been deteriorating since the 90s, but adding arrogant "this isn't for you fans" woke BS on top of the suck makes it worse.

And then, after releasing a woke show with garbage writing, the show runners will take to Twitter, and do interviews, and attack the fans and call us all of the -ists and -phobes. Which is weird because we loved Wonder Woman (2017 - staring a WoC), we loved Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury, and most us were unhappy when Gina Carano (a WoC) was fired by Disney.

And it's happened so many times in the last 10 years that now fans are just starting to knee jerk react and backlash against anything that appears woke whether it is or not. You can get angry and call us all of the insults, but ultimately the fault lies with the woke weirdos who keep making woke shows and then attacking the customers who refuse to watch their shows.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

@Triumphant

Thanks for taking the time to post your take on it.

IMO they went about it completely wrong.  It’s fine if they wanted to tell a different story.  One that they hoped would appeal to a different demographic.

When asked, thats what they should have said “look, we are just telling one story within this giant universe.  Not everyone may like it just like not everyone liked Rise of Skywalker.  But we still think it’s important to tell”

Instead, it was basically “shut up because you’re all racist homophobes, and we’re happy to upset you”

You don’t get people to warm up and try to understand you, by spitting on them.

A lot of things went wrong with this series (apparently that’s the new Disney MO).  I just think Hedland should have been a lot smarter in dealing with the fans from the very beginning, instead of seemingly trying to agitate them and now playing victim.

As for the personal attacks.  I don’t condone them, just like I don’t condone them when directed at the fans.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe you read the post, but it absolutely was not until after you appended the laughing emoji to the post.  And yeah, it was literally about 3 seconds (maybe less) as I saw it pop up not seconds after I hit reply on my own post.  That's simple fact.  I know, because I observed it in real time.

I was trying to have a nuanced conversation about a complex, emotionally-charged topic.  Doing that requires more than a soundbite, and I'm sorry that you couldn't be bothered to take the time to consider a different point of view before you reacted to the post with contempt.

But look, I've said what I had to say on the subject, so I'll show myself out the conversation now.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

6 minutes ago, Triumphant said:

Maybe you read the post, but it absolutely was not until after you appended the laughing emoji to the post.  And yeah, it was literally about 3 seconds (maybe less) as I saw it pop up not seconds after I hit reply on my own post.  That's simple fact.  I know, because I observed it in real time.

I was trying to have a nuanced conversation about a complex, emotionally-charged topic.  Doing that requires more than a soundbite, and I'm sorry that you couldn't be bothered to take the time to consider a different point of view before you reacted to the post with contempt.

But look, I've said what I had to say on the subject, so I'll show myself out the conversation now.

Sorry friend, you don't get to claim you want a nuanced conversation and then drop out when you get your own viewpoint challenged. That's not nuance.

• Thanks 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

On 6/18/2024 at 8:26 AM, Ghost said:

Amazingly, it’s supposed to get even worse after this weeks episode.

I think you're right about that.

6 hours ago, Triumphant said:

women, queer people, and people of color would like to see other human beings like themselves represented in the fictional universe that they love.

This is the spin that studios have attempted to sell and it doesn't work.  It's extremely transparent.  Does anyone honestly believe there were no women, queer people or people of color who were and still are fans of the original Star Wars movies?  Were there no women who could relate to Uhura, Leia, Sarah Conner, Ellen Ripley or the like?  The whole "I don't have someone like me" line strains credibility. 

Various studios have kept trying this same "inclusivity" formula for years now and they've produced nothing but flop after flop after flop after flop.  The second huge mistake the studios made is blaming the fans for not liking the garbage they are producing.  That's not endearing any fan to them, regardless of race or color or gender. 

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Triumphant said:

I'm, gonna have to disagree.  As we've seen, in all those things that don't have straight white male as the lead, it was still generally the white male showing up and watching the movie.  Look at The Marvels.  Who did those people blame for it's failure?  White males.  Who show up the most for the movie?  White males.  Break down of their sexual identity isn't given, but odds are they're straight.

The reason these things are failing, isn't because the lead isn't a straight white male.  One, it's killing off beloved characters and for a large part of that fan base, it was characters that had multiple stories in other forms.

Yes, George said the books were only canon until a movie said otherwise.  However, what did the movies do?  Killed off the popular characters and turned them into crap characters.  There was no reason to kill Luke, Leia and Han.  There was no reason to ruin Luke.  This was done because he was a white male character and it's not helping new fans like those old characters either.  I know a few people who like Star Wars, but were introduced later and they go "Screw Luke!  Look what he did to Grogu!"  Something EU Luke never would've done.  😛

The second issue is people aren't enjoying the story.  I know watching Ahsoka, I was so disappointed with it's fight scenes it made me a bit meh on it.  Ahsoka was so bad ass in the animations and then they turned her into a fighter the likes of Obi-Wan in Episode 4 😛  None of the movement she had.  Didn't even feel close to the prequel era fights in which she was a part of.

• Like 1

It was pretty much just about the white guys, and that was fine by us.

If you don't think that Leia or Padme were integral to the story in the original films, had very strong characterization and helped keep those "straight white guys" on task, I don't think you've seen the original films.

But the problem is, now that we have a show that inverts that dynamic, all of us straight white guys are *blanking* our pants over it.  

"Inverting dynamics" has nothing to do with it.  It's the crap writing that's ruining these franchises, not the race or gender of the protagonists.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

The problem with your explanation is that you're about halfway to the truth. The truth is that recent shows and movies, woke details aside, suck. This isn't because they're woke, the quality of Hollywood's writing has been deteriorating since the 90s, but adding arrogant "this isn't for you fans" woke BS on top of the suck makes it worse.

And then, after releasing a woke show with garbage writing, the show runners will take to Twitter, and do interviews, and attack the fans and call us all of the -ists and -phobes. Which is weird because we loved Wonder Woman (2017 - staring a WoC), we loved Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury, and most us were unhappy when Gina Carano (a WoC) was fired by Disney.

And it's happened so many times in the last 10 years that now fans are just starting to knee jerk react and backlash against anything that appears woke whether it is or not. You can get angry and call us all of the insults, but ultimately the fault lies with the woke weirdos who keep making woke shows and then attacking the customers who refuse to watch their shows.

Okay, on this I have to ask...Gina Carano...WoC?   She's of Italian, English, Scottish and German descent.  Sounds white to me.  Honestly, I think she should've been fired just because she sucks as an actress 😛  And there seems to be plenty who would think Gal is white even if Jewish (and of Ashkenazi) and most of Jewish descent claim to be white.

However, I do agree, in general it's bad writing being their issue.  The blatant check the boxes isn't going to help them tho.

The straight white male excuse is one of Hollywoods biggest lies, used to explain the failure of poorly written movies and shows.

I could probably spend the day listing good, popular and profitable movies that did not have “white male” leads.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Excraft said:

If you don't think that Leia or Padme were integral to the story in the original films, had very strong characterization and helped keep those "straight white guys" on task, I don't think you've seen the original films.

George Lucas said, in an interview that I saw recently, "Princess Leia was the head of the Rebellion and she brought these two clowns (referring to Luke and Han) into the Rebellion." Does that sound like a movie that was "pretty much just about white guys"?

15 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Is there any tie in to the prequels or is this earlier in the timeline before anyone is around?

If breaking canon established in the movies counts as a tie in then yes.

And in regards to whether Gal or Gina are WoC or not, ok maybe I'm wrong. I don't know. Since I'm not woke I don't spend any time even thinking about people's ethnicity because, contrary to popular opinion, I don't care. The only thing I care about is if the story is good or not.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

And in regards to whether Gal or Gina are WoC or not, ok maybe I'm wrong. I don't know. Since I'm not woke I don't spend any time even thinking about people's ethnicity because, contrary to popular opinion, I don't care. The only thing I care about is if the story is good or not.

I only mention it because you said WoC.  I had to look all that up because I never once thought of Gina as WoC and while looking that up, looking Gal up was easy to check up on too  😛 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

If breaking canon established in the movies counts as a tie in then yes.

I'm not sure what this means - is the show part of the Star Wars universe? I watched a show on Disney that had a bunch of different art styles and stories that didn't really connect to the movies so I'm just trying to see if that's what this show is. 

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

1 hour ago, Glacier Peak said:

I'm not sure what this means - is the show part of the Star Wars universe? I watched a show on Disney that had a bunch of different art styles and stories that didn't really connect to the movies so I'm just trying to see if that's what this show is. 

From what I know of Star Wars the movies and all the Disney shows are all in the same universe. The books and other works are no longer canon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

1 hour ago, Glacier Peak said:

Yes. Ki-Adi-Mundi (The conehead Jedi) was on the High Council in the prequel movies.

Although the word "Sith" was never spoken in the episode, Ki-Adi-Mundi was the Jedi in the sequels that said "The Sith have been extinct for a millennium."

So either the "Master" in Acolyte isn't a Sith or the cover-up was iron clad.

Also, Yoda should be on the high council since he's ancient.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, LKN-351 said:

Yes. Ki-Adi-Mundi (The conehead Jedi) was on the High Council in the prequel movies.

Although the word "Sith" was never spoken in the episode, Ki-Adi-Mundi was the Jedi in the sequels that said "The Sith have been extinct for a millennium."

So either the "Master" in Acolyte isn't a Sith or the cover-up was iron clad.

Also, Yoda should be on the high council since he's ancient.

Oh wow cool! Ever since Star Wars: Jedi Power Battles on PS1, Ki-Adi-Mundi has been my second favorite Jedi. That's enough of a reason for me to watch it if he's in the show. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

2 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Oh wow cool! Ever since Star Wars: Jedi Power Battles on PS1, Ki-Adi-Mundi has been my second favorite Jedi. That's enough of a reason for me to watch it if he's in the show. 

So far hes only been in episode 4 but he had more lines than in the movies as far as i can remember lol

Edited by LKN-351

Ep4 thoughts...

Spoiler

Disappointing, unnecessary filler-y episode: which when budgets are supposedly so tight over at D+, is more than a little surprising. I'm not quite sure what they're planning with Osha/Mae - unless both are going to face/heel turn. 

The only good bit of this episode action-wise is the last three minutes, when things get very Predator-y, and our first proper look at the mysterious Master dropping in. The completely faceless, slightly Giger-ish mask is neat, but we cut to black right before them smug Jedi get their much-telegraphed asskicking.

The only other good bit, from a Brit film nerd point of view, is Wales' Brecon Beacons successfully doubling for Khofar Middle-Earth New Zealand. There's lovely for you, and hopefully productions will realise they don't have to fly all the way Down Under to inflict torrents of rain on luckless castmembers.

I am hoping that at this point the series picks up - D+ shows have a habit of doing this in Ep5 onwards.

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.