The Officially Unofficial Weekly Challenge #6: Play like a new player

Create a new character.  Select the recommended tutorial for hero or villain. 

Do not use the START agent to get additional powers, buffs, xp buffs, etc.  Just use what you get with your character.

Play solo.

Play the tutorial.  Then play the starter set of arcs set for new players (not the old contacts).

How long does it take you to get through the tutorial and finish the set of arcs?

How hard was it? 

How fun was it?

• Like 2

Well I skipped the tutorial, but did run my newest through Graves’s stuff. For this one, I’ll be happy to run Matt H and Twinshot when I create my Slot Machine character next week. Love the topic, btw. 

Edited by cranebump

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

3 hours ago, Ael said:

I did this a couple of weeks ago. I was bored out of my mind and logged off at lvl 6.

Do you think it would be boring to a new player - or it was just because you had done it before?

i play "similar" to this quite a lot.  although i abuse start.  but it is not a huge difference on a 1-10 character.  I do not enjoy the new arcs.  For petty reasons really.  i find it maddening that whoever programmed all the NPCs in both arcs have them hopping around like grade school kids needing to pee.  It destroys any semblance of immersion that might have been there.

19 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

Do you think it would be boring to a new player - or it was just because you had done it before?

It's probably because I've done it so, so many times before. I played from issue 5 - sunset, daily. I played on a certain other server for 6 years. I played here from the moment the doors opened. I've created nearly a thousand alts across that time, and have close to 100 level 50s here, at least a quarter of them kitted out and T3 incarnate, if not T4. Whenever I roll a new toon, I tend to bring in the farmer from my second account, as long as the server I play on isn't overloaded - I know the rules - and spend 40 - 45 minutes getting them to level 32. At the very least, level 22, which only takes around 10 - 15 minutes for me. After that, I craft and slot generic IOs at the appropriate level, and off I go!

• Thumbs Up 1

New players use the tutorial?  I was under the impression that they jumped right into the game, putz around solo in the starting zone a little bit, then start asking to join teams in higher zones because they expect it to bring more rewards.  Also... the savvy newbies have learned to ask for invites to farms.

21 hours ago, DougGraves said:

Then play the starter set of arcs set for new players (not the old contacts).

The "new"/non-origin starter arcs/contacts for heroes suck as far as I'm concerned.

Twinshot is the worst.

Edited by UltraAlt
I thought Twinshot was two words.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Good timing, I actually just did this recently! Some times I play when not many people are on, so I end up soloing. One of my earliest memories of this game was rolling a stalker, and just casually working my way through story missions and exploring the zones. I rolled up a Broadsword/Dark stalker, and since I wanted to recapture the "feel" of the early game, I did not transfer any inf. I did get an XP boost, because I am an adult with limited time, but I got nothing else from START.

I'm enjoying the more gradual pace, like how I played before I knew any thing. Though I feel slightly ruined now since I earned 20 Merits...Sold some Converters, ended up buying a Gift of the Ancients with my profits, which I turned into an LotG and now I have a few million inf... x_x