looking for base construction help

i want to create a base with a wide open sky.  that you can fly though, and not be in that 20 ft horizontal zone.

i have asked about how to do this a few times in base bldg help.  the responses have left me unsure these people can successfully manage a bathroom visit.

this is on a brand new base.  can someone just pop in, set up the place as wide open?  i can decorate.  

thanks.

• Banjo 1

I'm not sure any such thing is possible. You do know to delete all the top layers and set the base sky mode to get the visual effect? I think that's all that's possible unless there's a hack.

It may be possible only in edit mode, with clipping turned off.

Happy to help if no base guru steps in. I am a Home Depot base-erizer but I haven't found anything I can't do if I try long enough.

• Banjo 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

What’s actually happening is that people found a way to get outside the base rooms while editing the base. Once there, you can place base items as usual as long as the center point of the item is above or below a room. You can also move your base entry point outside as well so that folks enter your base directly in this much larger space. 

• Banjo 1

To remove the ceilin:

Once you are in edit mode you'll  need to remove the the ceilin with the Object/Room Selected box. After that you go into Pick Style,  High Ceilings. Then choose Open Sky Pass-through.

Once you have done that choose Apply Room Style to Base.

And then you are done.

@Etched

• Thanks 1
  • Banjo 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

4 hours ago, Etched said:

To remove the ceilin:

Once you are in edit mode you'll  need to remove the the ceilin with the Object/Room Selected box. After that you go into Pick Style,  High Ceilings. Then choose Open Sky Pass-through.

Once you have done that choose Apply Room Style to Base.

And then you are done.

@Etched

does this not allow you to put big objects in?  because the editor thinks there is something blocking me, and so i cannot put tall objects/stack objects past "imaginary" ceiling...

• Banjo 1

17 minutes ago, Snarky said:

does this not allow you to put big objects in?  because the editor thinks there is something blocking me, and so i cannot put tall objects/stack objects past "imaginary" ceiling...

The ceiling's still there, it's just transparent.  To build higher or have a vertical movement without banging your noggin on the invisible ceiling, you have to raise something above the ceiling, then set a surface on that.  Then you can build on that surface.

If the invisible ceiling doesn't matter, then just turn off clipping in the base editor.  That'll allow items to be placed regardless of obstructions.

• Banjo 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

@Snarky

Removing the ceiling will not allow you to fly up out of the "box."  There is still an invisible ceiling there to the sky.  While in edit mode, you can fly up through, but in normal base visiting mode, you cannot.  There is no way around this, unfortunately.  To truly fly up as high as you want, well, until the zone ceiling anyway - you have to build outside the base. 

So, you may need to move your entry portal outside so that when you zone in, you can just fly as high as you want.  Then, if you need to go inside, you'll have to use a teleport point (Aleph, Beth, Gimel, etc).  Or vice versa with entry portal inside and teleport point on the outside.  There is no passing through that invisible ceiling barrier, unfortunately.

To place objects through walls, your "invisible" ceiling in your "sky" room... click F3 and "Enable" Room clipping.  (Also found in Options Menu.)  Then also cycle through hitting F5 to anchor to wall, floor, ceiling, object, etc.

Don't forget you can also change the grid snap size with F1 and the angle that you rotate things with F2.  (Also found in options menu.)

This here is a VERY useful thread....

• Banjo 1

15 minutes ago, Frozen Burn said:

@Snarky

Removing the ceiling will not allow you to fly up out of the "box."  There is still an invisible ceiling there to the sky.  While in edit mode, you can fly up through, but in normal base visiting mode, you cannot. 

I am literally in the base, not in editor mode guessing about 400 feet up.  could go higher.  proves the point though....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Banjo 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Luminara said:

The ceiling's still there, it's just transparent.  To build higher or have a vertical movement without banging your noggin on the invisible ceiling, you have to raise something above the ceiling, then set a surface on that.  Then you can build on that surface.

If the invisible ceiling doesn't matter, then just turn off clipping in the base editor.  That'll allow items to be placed regardless of obstructions.

How do i turn off clipping?

figured that.  you enable it.... grrr

now, can i build on top of what i clipped above ceiling?

Edited by Snarky
  • Banjo 1

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

I am literally in the base, not in editor mode guessing about 400 feet up.  could go higher.  proves the point though....

Okay, good.  So, you moved your portal outside the base then.... or made a teleport point to go there.  👍

• Banjo 1

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

How do i turn off clipping?

figured that.  you enable it.... grrr

now, can i build on top of what i clipped above ceiling?

Yes.  Just start placing surfaces and objects.  Again, use F5 to cycle through what you want to attach the object to.  And all object have to be attached to your plot somehow.  So, you can't place anything way off to the side.

• Banjo 1

4 minutes ago, Frozen Burn said:

Okay, good.  So, you moved your portal outside the base then.... or made a teleport point to go there.  👍

no, it is sitting in base portal room

• Banjo 1

2 minutes ago, Frozen Burn said:

Yes.  Just start placing surfaces and objects.  Again, use F5 to cycle through what you want to attach the object to.  And all object have to be attached to your plot somehow.  So, you can't place anything way off to the side.

as the pillar i want to stack get to the top the only way it will attach is at a right angle, i want to stack it for a longer pillar

• Banjo 1

4 minutes ago, Snarky said:

no, it is sitting in base portal room

Then you must be in editor mode.  There is no way to be inside the "box" base and go through the sky ceiling unless you are in editor mode.  

• Banjo 1

57 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I always figured Snarky’s base looked just like the vampires base from Lost Boys

Now I’m disappointed ☹️ 

i wish.  although honestly that would be as cramped as a blue cave ... so maybe not lol

• Banjo 1

1 hour ago, Frozen Burn said:

Then you must be in editor mode.  There is no way to be inside the "box" base and go through the sky ceiling unless you are in editor mode.  

we had this conversation.  so if you just want to scroll up i wont need to do it again.  when you get to here just go right back to the top, over and over and

• Banjo 1

26 minutes ago, Snarky said:

we had this conversation.  so if you just want to scroll up i wont need to do it again.  when you get to here just go right back to the top, over and over and

So, please explain how you've hacked the base system to defy the invisible ceiling barrier.  Because, I'd like that for my own base.  🙂  

Everything you describe is impossible.  So, you're either lying or misunderstanding / mistaken on something.  I would like to think it's the latter.  And I'm just trying to help, as well as keep things clear for others who may stumble on this thread with the same issue you had.  

• Banjo 1

1 hour ago, Frozen Burn said:

So, please explain how you've hacked the base system to defy the invisible ceiling barrier.  Because, I'd like that for my own base.  🙂  

Everything you describe is impossible.  So, you're either lying or misunderstanding / mistaken on something.  I would like to think it's the latter.  And I'm just trying to help, as well as keep things clear for others who may stumble on this thread with the same issue you had.  

Okay.  I believe that you believe that I am hallucinating, or lying, or having a really Snarky moment. But here is the thing about Snarky…. The vampire Snarky does not care enough about anyone to lie.  So, that leaves hallucinations.   

I did not do anything. Etched came into the base and removed the ceiling. Then he posted how he did it.  I have not proofed the technique on another base. So, I got no idea.  

I can tell you this.  You enter my base, say from Pocket D.   You are in the default entry room. The rest of the base is a largest footprint undecorated barn. Brand new and empty.  You fly up. And up.  And up.  No ceiling.  No problem. Also, not in editor.  Hit me up tomorrow and I will invite you in to see. 

Now my next issue, which I am trying to solve.  I have figured out, with help from advice in this thread, how to stick an item through the room as well. But I have not figured out how to stack something on that item above the ceiling.  This may be because pillars I have chosen have no “top” or because it is moving the item above the normal base plane.  I am crappy at anything besides basic base stuff.  I watched a couple videos from base forum and that was useless.  I have seen bases so beautiful and I really just want something clunky….but monumental.  And really stinking big.  It speaks to the Snarky ego.  Big and ugly.  

Snagged a great name for the SG though. Rogue Isles Villains.  Sharp eyes will notice that is a specific group and I was shocked it was available.  

Now just gotta build the Parthenon Ziggurat Schlossenstein thing.   Soon as I figure out how to stick the legos together.

But the flying thing.  That is real.  Unless I got hold of a really screwy batch of blood this week.  

• Banjo 1

14 hours ago, ZekeStenzland said:

Check out Dacy’s base building guides in the base forum. There are step by step videos for how to build outside the base rooms which will give you what you’re looking for. 

And check out her youtube series on base building. Even an old Snark would find a video tutorial easy to follow I bet. 🙂

//Jack

• Banjo 1

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well I have others.”

― Groucho Marx