Quick question: does Tar Patch stack from the same caster?

arcane

Thread title. Does Tar Patch stack from the same caster aka can I double the -res debuff if I have the recharge for it?

Drafting up an alt build and wondering if there’s any point to enhancing Tar Patch beyond the base slot. I’ll probably just slot it with either one or two recharge reductions based on the answer to this thread, but I could definitely use that 2nd slot elsewhere…

Edited by arcane

Just now, arcane said:

Just to clarify, that means one Tar Patch per caster right? Apologies for my confusion lol

That's my understanding. But to throw a monkey wrench in CoD also says stacks with existing effect. So I could very well be wrong. I'd suggest booting up test and checking it out real quick. I'm at the office so I don't have access to the game right now.

12 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

That's my understanding. But to throw a monkey wrench in CoD also says stacks with existing effect. So I could very well be wrong. I'd suggest booting up test and checking it out real quick. I'm at the office so I don't have access to the game right now.

Yeah this is why I ask on the forums, those CoD tags confuse me when it comes to pseudopets and other weird powers. Shouldn’t be too hard to test though. Thank you.

I checked on my /Dark Corrupter and /Dark Controller.  In both cases double stacking Tar Patch did double up the -RES component on the target within.

(the -RES is so high due to my target being level 5)

image.jpeg.a946846fc301625b81398dcd90e0bcc6.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

Thank you both, that settles it. 

And I found the extra slot I was hoping for anyway; I completely forgot that Howling Twilight is AutoHit and doesn’t need an Accuracy IO.

1 hour ago, arcane said:

And I found the extra slot I was hoping for anyway; I completely forgot that Howling Twilight is AutoHit and doesn’t need an Accuracy IO.

You probably want to maximize the recharge on Howling Twilight as well as it's a damn good -regen debuff.

Yes the small cubic looking symbol (the second icon) is the one that lets you know you can stack it as the caster.  Compare it to the symbol for the pet or Shadow Fall both of which don't stack and have an icon for "replaces existing effect"

20 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

So then it makes sense to max the recharge on it with 2 +5 Recharge IOs.

I agree on the 2x recharge IOs, but you don't get much from +5ing them. Takes maybe 2s off the recharge.

Based on my understanding:

23 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Stacking is per caster according to CoD.

This means that 2 players using the same power on the same target stack.

23 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

But to throw a monkey wrench in CoD also says stacks with existing effect.

This means 1 player using the same power on the same target stacks.

If an effect does not stack from the same player, but is intended to stack from different players, then it will have stacking is per caster and replaces existing effect. Example: infrigidate. You spamming it on an AV doesn't do anything more after the 1st cast, but 2 different coldfenders using it will stack (probably so people welcome duplicate AT's/powersets in teams).

Nearly every selectable power in the game, including things like blasts and attacks and travel powers, is flagged stacking is per caster. I actually cannot think of an exception off the top of my head. The most well known "power" that does not have stacking is per caster is the achilles heel -res. In this case 2 different kat scrappers applying it do not stack (neither does one of them slotting it in every attack).

• 2 weeks later
On 4/10/2024 at 1:17 PM, arcane said:

Yes, please do NOT forget that the stun and slow of  Howling Twilight are autohit B-) as well as that groovy rez aspect some folks use it for.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 1:01 AM, Onlyasandwich said:

I think disruption arrow is an exception. This is what allows it to be on such a quick cool down, and not be unbalanced given higher than average values.

Disruption Arrow replaces itself if you use it more than once so it can have the short cooldown for that reason.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

• 5 weeks later
On 4/10/2024 at 1:17 PM, arcane said:

On 4/25/2024 at 4:05 AM, Psylenz0511 said:

Yes, please do NOT forget that the stun and slow of  Howling Twilight are autohit B-) as well as that groovy rez aspect some folks use it for.

AFAIK: Any %procs in an AutoHit power require a ToHit check (in addition to the %proc chance), when I add %procs to Howling Twilight, I don't ignore Accuracy slotting. For example:

Howling Twilight              

(A) Bombardment - Chance of Damage (Fire)

(*) Javelin Volley - Chance of Damage (Lethal)

(*) Absolute Amazement - Stun/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Absolute Amazement - Accuracy/Stun/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Ragnarok - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Ragnarok - Damage/Endurance: Level 50+5