Gambit!

One IV All

X-Men 97 has me wanting to create a Gambit type hero. I’m leaning Stalker since it gives the “Rogue” (pun intended) vibes Gambit has. I was bouncing some ideas off @Infinitum but wanted to hear from you all!

I was leaning Staff Fighting/Energy Aura with either Weapon or Energy epic pool.

Also, with some re-coloring, Ice Armor could potentially work with Energy Absorption. I’d love to hear ideas though, especially around which Epic pool you would choose!

• Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 4:10 PM, biostem said:

Does the staff AS still do that weird redraw partway through the animation?

Not that I've seen, but it used to only happen when you did AS from Hide without the staff drawn already.   BU+AS would always work because BU caused the draw animation and then AS was fine.  Now with the overhaul to the weapon draw, the staff draw animation will only play the first time or after a long idle.   So you would only use it if you skipped BU for your first AS from Hide.  And who does that?  Lots of people these days don't EVER used AS from Hide anymore.

Easy enough to test though.  If I think of it next time I'm playing, I'll try it.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/12/2024 at 6:29 AM, One IV All said:

I was leaning Staff Fighting/Energy Aura with either Weapon or Energy epic pool.

I've played one of these to the upper 40s (maybe 50? Been a while) and it was a great ride the whole way. I went Mu pool for Zapp but thats an easy sub if you wanna go weapons for the throwing star.

I definitely think the EA effects will help the character feel more like Gambit, even though he doesn't really glow, himself. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

I definitely think the EA effects will help the character feel more like Gambit, even though he doesn't really glow, himself. 

Probably right.  Except for the concept, I'd have suggested Staff/Ninja/Mu.  I have one and it's really effective.  Melee defense is solid and the build has room for a few alternatives if you're not into Smoke Flash or Blinding Powder.  I like Caltrops for reducing incoming attacks if I need it and it's great for interrupting an ambush train coming at the team from behind.

• Like 1

I second Staff/SR/Weapons, tho I would probably go Scrapper. But Stalker is OK too. I just don't see Remy as a hide-in-the-shadows kinda guy. You can add a combat-only aura to his fists and eyes to give him that pink/purply glow when he attacks.

Edited by Captain Fabulous
  • Like 1

While I agree that SR definitely works, I would disagree that Energy Aura doesn’t make sense. Part of Gambit’s powers is static interference and vibration emission, both of which are basically protective energy auras his body exudes.

Also, I think Stalker is the best fit. Gambit was originally part of the “Thieve’s Guild” which adds to his rogue like nature. Stalker fits that. Gambit can also still scrap it out, which Stalker’s can do as well.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Microphone 1

19 hours ago, StriderIV said:

While I agree that SR definitely works, I would disagree that Energy Aura doesn’t make sense. Part of Gambit’s powers is static interference and vibration emission, both of which are basically protective energy auras his body exudes.

Also, I think Stalker is the best fit. Gambit was originally part of the “Thieve’s Guild” which adds to his rogue like nature. Stalker fits that. Gambit can also still scrap it out, which Stalker’s can do as well.

Nailed it

Edited by Infinitum
  • Like 2

Ea has a literal psi hole and sounds like is what it does???  

On 4/17/2024 at 4:53 PM, StriderIV said:

IMG_1051.png

I mean, yeah, but good thing you can build psi resists, right? And yeah, that’s one thing but everything else seems to fit just right. There is no specific “Gambit” secondary, so you have to go with what OP feels is most thematic. To each their own.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just happened to be looking at a new toon. Dom martial assault has a ton of throwing attacks. Could use a bit of mind co tell for his charm. Leave plenty of room for pools and ancillary. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Thraxen said:

Just happened to be looking at a new toon. Dom martial assault has a ton of throwing attacks. Could use a bit of mind co tell for his charm. Leave plenty of room for pools and ancillary. 

This is a really cool call out as well! Honestly it’d be one of my favorite ways to go about the toon if you could do SOMETHING with a Staff. Still absolutely works without the staff though.

Edited by StriderIV