Skipping Cut Scenes in Task Forces!

Peanut
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Re doing this thread! I run tfs all the time having to watch that Dr. Aeon cut scene one more time i think i might have to stab my eyes with an ice pick (being sarcastic). I would really love this to be implemented in the game somehow! Thanks so much! Name is Peanut i help run the Indom Tf channel and would love to get some traction on this thanks all!

Re doing this thread! I run tfs all the time having to watch that Dr. Aeon cut scene one more time i think i might have to stab my eyes with an ice pick (being sarcastic). I would really love this to be implemented in the game somehow! Thanks so much! Name is Peanut i help run the Indom Tf channel and would love to get some traction on this thanks all!

I remember in Guild Wars 1 that each team member could cast a "vote" to skip a cutscene, (I forget if you needed everyone to agree, or just a majority, however).  Perhaps it would be up to the team leader, or they could just set an option right at the onset?  Heck, they could probably just speed up the actions, (since I think the game engine actually plays out a script with the NPCs/characters involved)...

In SWTOR you can skip cutscenes by pressing the space bar.  Unfortunately, if you are in a group and not everyone spacebars, then the people who spacebarred are stuck looking at a still screen until the other person is finished with the cutscene.

I think that this is worse than watching a cutscene that I've watched 1,000 times.

I wouldn't want a player that has not seen the cutscenes, or even if they haven't seen them in a while and want to be reminded, to feel any pressure to skip or get kicked.

This is what the SW: TOR system felt like so many times.  Other players in the group repeating "space bar space bar" and people asking "Okay, who isn't skipping the cutscenes?".

So maybe leaving it as it is is the safest thing.  People that want to see them can see them and everyone else knows that they are going to get played.

If you create an option then we get back to "space bar space bar" and people trying to find out who isn't "cooperating".

If you make it an up-front thing then I can see TFs with an early cutscene disbanding and reforming to try and figure out which person didn't skip choose to skip cutscenes and to keep them out of the group, and groups demanding that everyone has to pick "skip cutscenes" going in.

They aren't that bad, and if one particular cutscene is making one think that icepicks to the eyeballs would be preferable then I suggest that they find some different TFs/SFs to run.

I wouldn't want a player that has not seen the cutscenes, or even if they haven't seen them in a while and want to be reminded, to feel any pressure to skip or get kicked.

This is what the SW: TOR system felt like so many times.  Other players in the group repeating "space bar space bar" and people asking "Okay, who isn't skipping the cutscenes?".

So maybe leaving it as it is is the safest thing.  People that want to see them can see them and everyone else knows that they are going to get played.

If you create an option then we get back to "space bar space bar" and people trying to find out who isn't "cooperating".

If you make it an up-front thing then I can see TFs with an early cutscene disbanding and reforming to try and figure out which person didn't skip choose to skip cutscenes and to keep them out of the group, and groups demanding that everyone has to pick "skip cutscenes" going in.

They aren't that bad, and if one particular cutscene is making one think that icepicks to the eyeballs would be preferable then I suggest that they find some different TFs/SFs to run.

I originally voted with Adeon's suggestion (if everyone has the badge it skips), but as I read this, I'm thinking that there are going to be segments of the population who are going to want to rewatch them (RP'ers).  And the most egalitarian solution, where nobody ever get's left out or shamed is to just show them... (TF Forming, LF5M, do not send tell unless you already have the badge...)

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

The cutscene heavy ones happen to be the most fun for high level characters. But really if you can watch Aeon's more than twice without looking for icepicks you have what it takes for a wonderful career in brainwashing video testing.

I like the idea of the badge unlocking the skip option. But really what kind of jerks are people playing with who'd spend more time trying to find the person not skipping than the cutscene would take in the first place? That'd only be worth it if there was male jedi guardian voice to contend with.

I think it would be sad to pressure players into skipping the only remaining story content that they have to "endure"...

Why not just make the entire game into a single AE farm map?

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

I think it would be sad to pressure players into skipping the only remaining story content that they have to "endure"...

They already do in everything but the cut scenes. If you stopped to read mission briefings and clues on TFs teh rest of the group would have cleared the objective by the time you finished.

Cut scenes aree different because they're forced on everyone over and over again. Anything gets old after you watch it 1000 times. IF you want to slow down and experience the content and read every clue and mission briefing, then make a TF for that purpose and let people know ahead of time.

They already do in everything but the cut scenes. If you stopped to read mission briefings and clues on TFs teh rest of the group would have cleared the objective by the time you finished.

Cut scenes aree different because they're forced on everyone over and over again. Anything gets old after you watch it 1000 times. IF you want to slow down and experience the content and read every clue and mission briefing, then make a TF for that purpose and let people know ahead of time.

Because that should be the standard?

"Oh, you wanted to watch cutscenes?  You'll have to form your own TF.  It's far too much of a sacrifice for us to slow down how quickly we obtain our XP and our phat lewtz".

If the majority wants to race through everything and disregard the story then the story should be abandoned?

"It will take us another month to get the new content in.  We mostly have the missions coded, but we need to fine-tune the contact dialogue and..."

"SCREW THE CONTACT DIALOGUE!!!  GIVE US THE MISSION NOWWWW!!!!  JUST TELL US WHERE TO GO TO GET OUR REWARDS AND GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!"

Sounds fun.  ::)

I'm not particularly familiar with the code of the game nor am I suggesting it'd be at all easy to implement but the best solution from my uneducated perspective would perhaps be to run some sort of badge check? If everyone in the TF has the associated badge for the TF then you skip it. But if someone doesn't it remains unskippable so the new people can see it for the first time without being left behind.  It's not 100% flawless (doesn't account for alts at all) but it's something.

"Titan/Bio scrappers are the stealthiest toons in the game."

"How's that possible? They don't have any inherent stealth and you'd never take concealment pool powers on them!"

"You see; they're perfect at stealth because nobody will notice if there's nobody to notice."