Making a Sorceror?

Ultimo

So, I'm trying to decide how to make a character, but it's a character with a particular theme.  He's based on the Sorceror from my Warhammer 40k Chaos Marine army.  When I made him in an AE mission, I gave him Staff Fighting and Psychic Blast.  Of course, there's no such combination possible for player archetypes... so I'm kind of stuck on what AT and power sets I should give him.

My first thought is that he really should have the Staff Fighting set, which limits him to melee archetypes... Scrapper, Brute, Tanker... so I'm not sure it's viable to give him that.  I'd prefer to have it, but if someone has an alternative suggestion, I'm open to considering it.

Psychic Blast is his "Chaos Sorceror" power, so he needs SOMETHING, though it doesn't necessarily HAVE to be this.  Again, I'm open to suggestions.

Any thoughts?

30 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

Each of the melee ATs mentioned have access to Psionic Mastery and each version has a blast power. That will not work? Or am I missing something?

No, that definitely helps, but that doesn't become available until near the end of the character's progress.  I'll pick something from that for certain, but I'm not sure what to do in the meantime.

2 easy options as you are leveling are the SORCERY or FORCE of WILL from the power pools,(can only choose ONE) both have access to ranged"spells" and each has a version of protection with a pronounced graphic if you take 2 previous powers.all fitting the librarian from a space marine chapter and of course the above mentioned epic pool.

Emperor Protects

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, PyroNugget said:

2 easy options as you are leveling are the SORCERY or FORCE of WILL from the power pools,(can only choose ONE) both have access to ranged"spells" and each has a version of protection with a pronounced graphic if you take 2 previous powers.all fitting the librarian from a space marine chapter and of course the above mentioned epic pool.

Emperor Protects

Actually, I'm astonished I didn't think about Sorcery... for a SORCERER.  /SmackOnHead.

• Haha 1

I like /dark for a sorcerer defense set but I guess it depends on faction... maybe also bio or rad. But if going stalker, then I am not sure I would go resistance based set unless planning to spend a bunch on heavily IOing it - which is normal for me at this point.

I have a staff/ice stalker that I love and recommend you check the difference in attacks, I think having assassin's staff and build-up was a good add for staff, but I am not a staff expert

15 hours ago, Ultimo said:

So, I'm trying to decide how to make a character, but it's a character with a particular theme.  He's based on the Sorceror from my Warhammer 40k Chaos Marine army.  When I made him in an AE mission, I gave him Staff Fighting and Psychic Blast.  Of course, there's no such combination possible for player archetypes... so I'm kind of stuck on what AT and power sets I should give him.

My first thought is that he really should have the Staff Fighting set, which limits him to melee archetypes... Scrapper, Brute, Tanker... so I'm not sure it's viable to give him that.  I'd prefer to have it, but if someone has an alternative suggestion, I'm open to considering it.

Psychic Blast is his "Chaos Sorceror" power, so he needs SOMETHING, though it doesn't necessarily HAVE to be this.  Again, I'm open to suggestions.

Any thoughts?

As a 40k fan since it's beginning.

I think this would fit. All powers fit for Sorcerer/Psycher.  You can have Black Wand staff always out in your hand as well.

Controller (Mind Control - Darkness Affinity).mbd

• Like 2

The Psionic epic pool is pretty strong and has good Psi flavor. Proc'd Dominate does great damage and Harmonic Mind will take the sting out of Dark Armor's End cost. Psi Tornado is a very serviceable AoE and also procs well.

Posted (edited)

I like /dark a lot with a few key IOs such as putting the +end acc heal enh in the heal. Also, going against popular opinion, I take all the weird toggles - stealth, fear and stun. My only concern for a brute would be fury generation with the control toggles. However, if you don't find you like the combo, I realized that a staff/elect would have a nice vibe - the shields aesthetically look good to me, has the damage aura, power sync, and (optional) T9 entity form. Though, flying with sorcery pool may mean sometimes forgoing the kb protection of grounded if that still requires being close to the ground to work.

Edited by VashNKnives

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Ultimo said:

I went with the Brute, Staff/Dark.  I'll give him Sorcery but I'll have to consider the Epic pools, there's nothing psychic for Brutes.

One way to get brutes to deal psionic damage is to slot Perfect Zinger: Chance for Psi Damage proc into your attacks.  It is part of a taunt set but a brute's power from the primary powerset have a taunt component that allows taunt enhancements to be used.  I don't know how good this is mechanically.  My understanding is that procs don't benefit from fury but procs are also good for archetypes on the lower end of base damage like brutes, but I could be wrong.  Also, slotting the procs makes slotting and getting IO set bonuses trickier.  But it is an option along with Staff Fighting's Form of the Mind.

Edited by Worm_Kalpa

Posted (edited)

Once upon a time, I did this with a scrapper and pool powers. 

• My most recent Psi Hunter is a Ranged Fortunata, although Melee Fortunata would have been a more optimal choice.  The downside of Fortunatas is the expense. You pretty much have to go all in, full expense, break the bank, with little room for compromise.
  • If you want Staff/Psionics, then we're looking at a Scrapper or Stalker with APP, and/or Sorcery.  Given Staff's weaknesses, I'd go Stalker for Staff/. On this front /Nin is a very good Psionic Armor as well.  MRA Defense combined with Psionic Resist.
  • However, we have Sentinels now.  If you want all ranged, that would be a near perfect choice.
  • If you want ranged and melee, then a Dominator (Assault Sets are Ranged/Melee) or Melee Fortunata (Claws/Psionics)

Edited by Linea

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE.

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard*, ..., 801.5 Moderate**, ..., 801.6 Hard***, ..., 801.7 Four Star****, ... 801.F Death.

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

I'm probably too late to the party, but with 1000 slots per server in mind, if I was making a Chaos Sorcerer and wanted a Staff, I would consider Staff/???/Psi Stalker:

- You smack people with a staff

- You cloud the minds of the enemy so that they can't see you until it's too late.

- You blast foes with bolts of raw mental force

- You can summon a writhing and formless entity of warp energy

Depending on the secondary you choose, you can fine-tune your aesthetics: Fire armor for Tzeentch, Bio for Nurgle, Anything bright and garish for Slaanesh, Dark Armor if you're a Night Lord ... 

For my take i decided to go for a Sentinel. Electric blast primary with different coloured zaps and dark armor for mezing enemies and (all is dust) visual effects. For the staff I will take Black Scorpion as patron and pick up Pulverise so I can wack foes with my Snake Staff.

I'm finding I'm not all that impressed with the Staff Fighting set.  It's not so much the effect of the powers as the ANIMATIONS.  They look pretty silly, and the staff looks absurd too, more like a Titan weapon.

Come to think of it... maybe THAT is an alternative option... Titan Weapon instead of Staff?

Posted (edited)

Here's a weird thought - what about going with a bane spider - you get the mace, which has some nice spikey options, and fires energy, toxic, and even some sticky web attacks!  Go with soul mastery for some extra oomph and to mix up the damage types & tools at your disposal.

Edited by biostem

I don't know about 40k sorcerers specifically, but yesterday I made a sorcerer that is a Dark/Dark dominator.  I plan to go heavy into sorcerer pool.  Not sure about what epic pool I'm going to take (Or if I'll even get that far.  I've tried to learn to play dominators in the past, and have gotten frustrated.  I return to the AT periodically and attempt another go at it, just because of love the IDEA of it, and so many of the powerset combinations readily fit my various character concepts).

You can unlock the Staff of Stheno (golden staff with cobra head). I think it was by doing Mongoose arc in Mercy Island. That’s what I’m using for my Black Scopion patron powers weapon. 
I opted for a sentinel with Storm Blast / Dark Armor / Scorpion. Plays totally like a Scorcerer imo.

• Like 1