The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Why are most builds dropping Siphon Power when they get Fulcrum Shift?

ItsDecoy

Like the title says ….why are most Kinetics builds dropping Siphon Power for Fulcrum Shift?  I play a lot of the content Solo as a Corruptor, from bosses to AV’s to 1v1’s I love the challenge and living on the edge of wipe out in CoH. Which is why I still have Siphon Power on my build because I think it’s helping mitigate the actual wipe out. Kinetics only gets a few actual debuffs in its tool kit and I would think Siphon Power would help most player with difficult larger mob even with Fulcrum Shift?

However, maybe I am missing something? Just some inside baseball on how I have mine slotted:

2 Acc

3 Rechg 

and my reasoning for this is mostly Bosses, AV’s, and the Occasional GM. With this I find that the single target debuff is helpful from not getting wiped out when going against these types of threats because it can constantly be reapplied. 

Again….if this is dumb or a waste please let me know.

I certainly tend to keep the siphons around. Siphon Speed for extra +Recharge (obviously) and Siphon Power because yes, occasionally you'll find yourself in a target-poor environment.
Against an AV an extra stackable -20% damage debuff/+20% damage buff can be plenty useful; so I find I get far more mileage out of Siphon Power than the likes of IR or Repel.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Because just like perma unstoppable/elude or granite armor, Fulcrum is just too strong and the rest of the rest isnt needed because of Fulcrum being a one shot thing to max damage.

why spend eons (in kinetics time) animating siphon power for 20% damage when fulcrum already has you at the damage cap?

and in the event of a single AV, thats what lore pets are for

im not joking or memeing btw, i actual legit hate fulcrum shift

I have Siphon Power in my build but I only slot it with 1 acc IO in the base slot. Once you get Fulcrum Shift it's no longer needed for +dmg (unless you exemp below lvl 25) and is only useful for stacking -dmg on AVs.

It’s good to see that I am not the only one who is using Siphon Power.

I do understand what others are saying about dropping it but I guess that is the difference between Team players and the Solo players.

How does everyone else have their Siphon Power Slotted? 

On 6/13/2024 at 5:13 PM, ItsDecoy said:

How does everyone else have their Siphon Power Slotted? 

It'll depend on your other buffs (Tactics, global Accuracy bonuses etc).
Minimum slotting (for me) is probably One +5 Level 50 Acc IO plus One +5 Level 50 Rech IO.
Two Rech and Two Acc (or 2x Provocation DSyncs if you've more inf than sense) if you want to max it out.
However honestly as long as it ends up reaching 95%+ hitrate versus +3 enemies you're good for most PVE content.

4 star Hardmode content adds 30% Defence to all, and some of the enemies there are level-shifted... so if you really wanted to max it out then you'd be shooting for "125%+ accuracy versus +4 enemies" (personally I don't bother doing that for anything other than Fulcrum and Transfusion)

Edited by Maelwys

Redundancy. 

When a build is tight, and you use fulcrum properly, especially when leveraged with fold space, siphon power doesn't really do much for the cast, and kin + blast is already fairly busy when played right.

• Microphone 1

• 1 month later

Long time Kin player and avid user of both Siphon Power and Fulcrum Shift here. 

I also routinely cycle transfusion in AV fights for the -regen whether healing is needed or not.

If the content is such that my team was already at +DMG cap and nobody is getting 1 shot-ed (teaming with the granite tank with nobody in the splash zone), then I might not be inclined to use Siphon. 

The space in my attack chain is still there though!  Maybe I cycle in a siphon speed, transfusion, or throw a speed boost to the blaster in the back who is always out of range.

I think it all really just comes down to play style.  I really enjoy having a lot of different tools to do the job the best I can.  Some people want one tool that's best for  80% of the time and good for the remaining 20%.

Either way--are you having fun?

Edited by Windchime

On 6/19/2024 at 11:06 AM, ScarySai said:

When a build is tight,

I think this is the crux of why one might skip siphon power, especially if you have a lot of global +recharge and/or would rather take another power...

I have 3 Kinetics Toons (Kin/Elect Defender, Fire/Kin Corruptor, Kin/Rad Defender) and all 3 keep Siphon Power as a L1 Power Pick.  As @Psyonico mention, the -Damage is always good.  The +Damage is really needed for the Corruptor.  And for the Defender, when it hasn't quite hit enough with Fulcrum Shift, Siphon Power helps get that extra bit more.  I have it on Tray 1 Slot 1, so I can use it like other Ranged Attacks.

• Like 1

You'll take SP from my cold dead hands. Outside of AVs, it is a rather effective way to pull when need be based more on a hunch/experience than actual data. I think 1-sotting for Acc is perfectly acceptable. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."