The "PVP only" tick box at the character creation screen.

Screen.jpg.2ccfa4fed81a324c198453fb52136a1a.jpg

Once you click the tick box that says "Temporal Warrior (PVP)", how different will your character be in comparison to other people's characters other than being a PVP only character? I myself isn't sure what a "PVP only character" means.

Very.  It means that you can only go to PvP zones and Pocket D.  You can forget about doing any PvE content.

I've seen multiple new people check that off thinking that it meant that they'd get a free level 50 character for PvE.  Nope.

14 minutes ago, Palehood said:

Temporal Warrior, Instant Level 50 PvP Characters.

PvPOnlyCharacter.png.24e0f8d4da4b645171f2aa8dec9a7692.png

• At character creation, new Primal characters can tick a box called "Temporal Warrior (PVP only)". This is not available for existing characters or Praetorians.
  • Characters created with this box ticked will spawn on Recluse's Victory and can only access the four PVP zones (Bloody Bay, Siren's Call, Warburg, Recluse's Victory), Pocket D (for access to the various vendors), the Arena and Supergroup Bases.
  • These characters cannot travel to any other zones, enter trials or teleport via LFG, get missions from contacts, or enter mission doors from other players.
  • In return, they start at Level 50 with all Incarnate slots unlocked, Incarnate powers can be crafted at no cost, and Patron Powers don't require the Patron badges.
  • Those characters count as level 1 for the name reservation system, you can't create a PVP character just to lock a name.
  • They still need to provide their own enhancements, there's no easy mode for that. Because their own ability to get rewards is so limited (the only available source of rewards is critters in PVP zones) the expectation is that those characters will receive influence and enhancements from other characters that are PVE enabled.
  • The goal here is to remove the barrier of entry for players that are curious about PVP, but don't want to spend the time leveling up a new character that would be useful under the PVP rules.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

If anyone really want to experience Hard-Mode PvP, take you newly-minted, level 1 character into Recluse's Victory. You'll get level-bumped to 50 still have your level 1 attacks, minus some temp powers   😈

• Microphone 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

10 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

The goal here is to remove the barrier of entry for players that are curious about PVP, but don't want to spend the time leveling up a new character that would be useful under the PVP rules.

Is there anywhere that gives free SO/IOs for these PvP characters? I've made a couple to try out powersets without having to go to the test server, but since you don't have any enhancements to put in your slots, it's kind of ... less than impressive.

8 minutes ago, WumpusRat said:

Is there anywhere that gives free SO/IOs for these PvP characters? I've made a couple to try out powersets without having to go to the test server, but since you don't have any enhancements to put in your slots, it's kind of ... less than impressive.

No.

Players still need to provide their own enhancements, there's no easy mode for that. Because their own ability to get rewards is so limited (the only available source of rewards is critters in PVP zones) the expectation is that those characters will receive influence and enhancements from other characters that are PVE enabled.

4 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

No.

Players still need to provide their own enhancements, there's no easy mode for that. Because their own ability to get rewards is so limited (the only available source of rewards is critters in PVP zones) the expectation is that those characters will receive influence and enhancements from other characters that are PVE enabled.

Which kind of defeats the whole purpose of "removing the time required to level up a new character to participate in PvP", since you'd have to have a 50th level with copious cash/recipes/etc on hand already, meaning it's really just an option for well-established people with hundreds of millions of inf lying around.

Ah well. I don't use it anyway, but it does seem a little silly to require people to "bring their own enhancements" for it. At least give them free SOs or something.

• Like 2

Just now, WumpusRat said:

Which kind of defeats the whole purpose of "removing the time required to level up a new character to participate in PvP", since you'd have to have a 50th level with copious cash/recipes/etc on hand already, meaning it's really just an option for well-established people with hundreds of millions of inf lying around.

Ah well. I don't use it anyway, but it does seem a little silly to require people to "bring their own enhancements" for it. At least give them free SOs or something.

Yeah, I guess when you give someone an inch, they'll ask for a mile afterwards. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Yeah, I guess when you give someone an inch, they'll ask for a mile afterwards. 

Making the 50 really is the easy part. I'd like to see how many players bothered with this method. 

12 hours ago, WumpusRat said:

You say that you have no enhancements?

And are in a PvP zone?

Where exactly?  Asking for a friend.

😈😈😈

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, WumpusRat said:

Sounds similar to what they used to call "twinking" back in 2006 in WoW PvP.  Use one or more PvE characters to fund an obsession for a tricked-out PvP character.  (Maybe they still use that term, I dunno. I've not done PvP for quite a while.)  I built a couple of "twinks" back then and had a ball in Warsong Gulch.  I'd no problem with putting in the work to enhance the characters.

But if someone is pushing for free enhancements, too, that sounds more like WoW arena PvP, which I never got into, but the concept might not be amiss for CoH.  I stated sometime back that if I were to get into PvP in this game, I'd prefer there'd be a "locker room" screen in which characters donned a dev-created, standardized set of enhancement gear for the archetype/powerset combo. Maybe a pick between 3 sets to add a bit of strategy, but the idea was to eliminate the build from the victory, and focus entirely on skill. 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2024 at 8:04 AM, Ghost said:

You say that you have no enhancements?

And are in a PvP zone?

Where exactly?  Asking for a friend.

😈😈😈

Well typically we head for the big Disruptor bot.  Or rather my 6yr old likes to drag dad there.  He loves to grab the big "friend".   Probably level 2 enhancements but those are totally optional.  Fortunately he has basically no understanding of being defeated or having to hospital 🤪, so for him it's just like RWZ or any other zone that's way over his head.

• Like 1