Water/Storm or Storm/Storm

Gentoo

I have an urge to play a character using Leviathan Mastery; Sharks all over the place.

The only thematic matches I can think of are Water/Storm and Storm/Storm on a Corruptor or Defender.

Which blast set do you think synergizes best with Storm? And which do you think will look better with the sharks?

water/storm

over time im starting to hate storm blast because of how slow storm cell is.  not being able to jet stream right off the bat got to me.  also sharks coming out of a whirlpool

• 2 weeks later
On 7/3/2024 at 5:10 AM, kelika2 said:

water/storm

over time im starting to hate storm blast because of how slow storm cell is.  not being able to jet stream right off the bat got to me.  also sharks coming out of a whirlpool

Storm cell is really good. It moves slow but the recharge time/duration is enough that you can recast before it expires with just 2 rech IOs, no sets in the build; even better when you start putting sets on. Honestly it should be ready every time you reach a new mob. It also doesn’t draw agro so feel free to place it on the mob before you initiate, you will still have the opportunity to initiate with literally anything else. It also enhances cat 5, so you need it to maximize your nuke-nado. Couldn’t imagine playing storm blast without it tbh. 

Edit: Also you don’t want it to keep up with you. Storm cell deletes the repel function on jet stream, that’s a strong initiator for putting enemies in corners where you can maximize damage output, let it linger a little behind when you initiate then it converts to a knock once it does catch up. 

TL;DR If it doesn’t keep up with you just place a new one. Use the slow movement to your advantage. 

Edited by ValiantBlu

I cannot recommend Storm/Storm for anything other than the visual fx the two generate.  I can’t even really recommend Storm Blast on a Corruptor.  That’s saying something since Storm Summoning is my favorite powerset in the entire game and I’ve played it on every single AT with every single powerset combo available….including Storm/Storm on a Corruptor.  

It’s just not a strong blast set.

2 hours ago, Crysis said:

I cannot recommend Storm/Storm for anything other than the visual fx the two generate.  I can’t even really recommend Storm Blast on a Corruptor.  That’s saying something since Storm Summoning is my favorite powerset in the entire game and I’ve played it on every single AT with every single powerset combo available….including Storm/Storm on a Corruptor.  

what you recommend?  I’ve tried it on all but a sentinel. Might try it next. I love the snipe’s animation. Which sent still had just the fast cast only. 

6 hours ago, Thraxen said:

I'm well aware.  They get the same animation as the snipe, just not the long cast version, as said above...

Is that what that said? Could’ve fooled me.

On 7/1/2024 at 8:36 PM, Gentoo said:

I have an urge to play a character using Leviathan Mastery; Sharks all over the place.

The only thematic matches I can think of are Water/Storm and Storm/Storm on a Corruptor or Defender.

Which blast set do you think synergizes best with Storm? And which do you think will look better with the sharks?

I went Water/Cold, but Water/Marine will be an option soon.

On 7/14/2024 at 1:37 AM, BrandX said:

I went Water/Cold, but Water/Marine will be an option soon.

Given the goal of the build was to have sharks everywhere I think waiting for marine is the best choice

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/13/2024 at 1:32 PM, Crysis said:

I don't disagree about Storm Blast falling behind other Blast sets because of the somewhat complicated mechanics (and build/play choices) to maximize DPS... but I've found a Storm/Storm Defender to a pretty decent solo character (for +0x8, +1x8). My build has plenty of -Resistance, lots of AoE, and plenty of %damage to supplement the (Defender-level) Blasts. The pets and pseudopets are quite good for 'fire-and-forget' play. My Storm/Storm build plays a lot like a DPS-focused Controller, but with a Blast secondary set (because Defender).

I can see why a Storm Blast/Storm Summoning Corruptor might feel inferior to a Storm Summoning/Storm Blast Defender... the Blast attacks are quite back-loaded because of the T4 Storm Cell and T6 Intensify. There is little DPS to be had from Storm Summoning without %damage... that's the path my Storm/Storm Defender took. There are some specific choices to be made to make the %damage builds work well, and usually I don't consider that as the first-order path for Corruptors. I've no desire to crunch the numbers with Scourge/No Scourge and different Debuff Values for Defenders v. Corruptors, but my gut tells me that a Storm/Storm Defender with reasonably reliable %damage supplementing the Blasts might actually pull ahead of a Storm/Storm Corruptor in terms of solo DPS. This is even more complicated in my mind because of the different ATO, including a %damage piece for Corruptors unavailable to Defenders.

Generally: When I find a Blast set that falls into the weak-ish category or requires some combination/setup, I try that set on a non-Blaster (and usually non-Corruptor) AT. For example, I can make Beam Rifle shine on a Sentinel and Defender, but on my Beam Blasters the set feels decidedly middle-of-the-road on performance (relative to other Blast sets).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tidge said:

I don't disagree about Storm Blast falling behind other Blast sets because of the somewhat complicated mechanics (and build/play choices) to maximize DPS... but I've found a Storm/Storm Defender to a pretty decent solo character (for +0x8, +1x8). My build has plenty of -Resistance, lots of AoE, and plenty of %damage to supplement the (Defender-level) Blasts. The pets and pseudopets are quite good for 'fire-and-forget' play. My Storm/Storm build plays a lot like a DPS-focused Controller, but with a Blast secondary set (because Defender).

I can see why a Storm Blast/Storm Summoning Corruptor might feel inferior to a Storm Summoning/Storm Blast Defender... the Blast attacks are quite back-loaded because of the T4 Storm Cell and T6 Intensify. There is little DPS to be had from Storm Summoning without %damage... that's the path my Storm/Storm Defender took. There are some specific choices to be made to make the %damage builds work well, and usually I don't consider that as the first-order path for Corruptors. I've no desire to crunch the numbers with Scourge/No Scourge and different Debuff Values for Defenders v. Corruptors, but my gut tells me that a Storm/Storm Defender with reasonably reliable %damage supplementing the Blasts might actually pull ahead of a Storm/Storm Corruptor in terms of solo DPS. This is even more complicated in my mind because of the different ATO, including a %damage piece for Corruptors unavailable to Defenders.

Generally: When I find a Blast set that falls into the weak-ish category or requires some combination/setup, I try that set on a non-Blaster (and usually non-Corruptor) AT. For example, I can make Beam Rifle shine on a Sentinel and Defender, but on my Beam Blasters the set feels decidedly middle-of-the-road on performance (relative to other Blast sets).

Def no disagreements from me about Storm/Storm for a Defender.  I mean on my Storm/Storm corruptor I can solo just fine, better than fine, but then same can be said for most Corruptor builds.  Ironically, the issue with my Storm/Storm wasn’t from soloing at all….+3/x8 and some mobs +4/x8 weren’t difficult when -I- set the pace and could synch up all the different benefits from my attacks and debuffs.  Get a double lightning storm and double tornado out and then just blast to my hearts content, dropping freezing rain as much as possible.  Stuff melts fine.  Not as fast as just about any other Corruptor I have but def not top tier.  Not bottom rung either but….I can see it from there, that’s for darn sure.

The issue was in teaming.  I could still get out double LS and double Tornado, but had very little ability to make the most use out of my attacks before everything was gone and the team was moving to the next spawn.  And truthfully, my secondary storm attacks did almost more DPS than my primary on teams because -so much is back loaded.-

On a Defender, I’d be more inclined to play support first and throwing in blasts as able as my secondary approach.  Sure, I can make an “Offender” and play primarily offense….but just like on Corruptors, there’s a host of better attack sets to take on Defenders too.

My issue with Storm Blast has been, and remains, simply that compared to just about all other attack types….it’s wonky mechanic leaves it pretty lackluster.  Absolutely gorgeous to look at, but better pew pew for the endurance out there.

But yeah, if someone asked me Storm/Storm on Corr vs Defender, as long as they weren’t primarily looking to build an Offense-oriented toon, I’d likely recommend Defender version.  But even then…..better Offender builds are available.

On 7/1/2024 at 10:36 PM, Gentoo said:

And which do you think will look better with the sharks?

On 7/14/2024 at 2:37 AM, BrandX said:

but Water/Marine will be an option soon.

Yeah, Marine is an option now.

I would go with Storm/Marine or Water/Marine (or vice versa for defenders), but I haven't seen the shark animation so I can't really tell you which would mesh best.

I think the Storm/Marine combo has more terrifying FX so would probably fit the shark FX better. 

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 7/26/2024 at 7:01 AM, tidge said:

I am wondering if Intensify is worth it. I am kinda over the boosts that work for 15 seconds...  

8 hours ago, BurtHutt said:

I am wondering if Intensify is worth it. I am kinda over the boosts that work for 15 seconds...  

That's a valid point. On my Defender, I typically try to immediately use the Fast Snipe, and then cast a Damage-over-Time power, and then a fast cast attack. Some debuffs also require accuracy checks, so not-missing-when-it-could-be-important is a partial consideration.

On DPS characters, the Build Ups/Aims are for things that go high defenses, like Moment of Glory. This is me replacing red/yellow inspirations with a click power... on some blasters I have the recharge time around 22 seconds, with a near 90% proc chance!

As for theory-crafting builds: if there is a power I want to have early in a build (often a T3 Pool power) that I know I'll be using (or otherwise relying on, like Rune of Protection), then often I'll delay the Build Up/Aim power... because those things that go high defenses start to show up in the 30s. The extra ToHit and Damage is only speeding up defeat times, I don't consider the Build Ups/Aims to be that critical.

Mileage varies if the set it is in needs a secondary effect from them (like Water Blast). My Water/Atomic took both build ups, but took the Atomic one first.