New Changes suck for blasters, corruptors, defenders and dominators.

On 7/6/2024 at 6:12 PM, Psyonico said:

The more difficult Council/CoT don't come into play until level 40... I feel like at level 40 you should have some sort of ability to handle a challenge, even with SOs.

I did a yin tf tonight. Had the freem kb and the wolf explosion at level 20. That is what is killing you soloing on a non melee toon. you get the boss mob down and insta full health wolf boss and kb..kb..kb..dead. I slot some kb protection asap, but others dont have the resources for that. Maybe they should take the status protection away from melee to give them the challenge they want/deserve? Might make things more exciting.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ivanhedgehog said:

I did a yin tf tonight. Had the freem kb and the wolf explosion at level 20. That is what is killing you soloing on a non melee toon. you get the boss mob down and insta full health wolf boss and kb..kb..kb..dead. I slot some kb protection asap, but others dont have the resources for that. Maybe they should take the status protection away from melee to give them the challenge they want/deserve? Might make things more exciting.

Peeps run melee/sentinels partly for stun protection.  So… in this haymaker swinging thread you are adding “please nerf tanks, brutes, scrappers, stalkers, and sentinels mez protection.”  So they can have a “challenge?”   

okay.  This will make the discussion more “interesting”. 

and….GO

This went off the rails in the OP when they tried to claim originalism: (paraphrasing)"This game was balanced around SOs".

Anyone who wants to go THERE needs to reckon with how the game also wasn't balanced around every AT, much less Blasters specifically, being able to solo as easily as every other.  This is only possible today for many of these historically bad soloist ATs because of Inventions and Incarnates and if you're not doing that with your Blaster then welcome to the early aughts, a time when the floors of Paragon City were kept spotlessly clean by dragging Blasters over them repeatedly.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, biostem said:

Looked over this thread a few times - what are the actual nerfs or changes that the OP is upset about?

On 7/8/2024 at 12:33 PM, PeregrineFalcon said:

We talked about this already... didn't we?

Long time posters are using alt accounts to troll the forums with hot button topics. This has been happening for awhile now.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Snarky said:

Peeps run melee/sentinels partly for stun protection.  So… in this haymaker swinging thread you are adding “please nerf tanks, brutes, scrappers, stalkers, and sentinels mez protection.”  So they can have a “challenge?”   

and….GO

Very well.  The mez protection toggles should act like the Hybrid toggle - it detoggles itself after a certain duration, and has a long cooldown.  This will also aid in those classes getting the Jailed badge, something they traditionally have a hard time with.

I kid.  I did skip Unyielding on an Invuln/Mace Tank way back before ED, then fully slotted his passive armors (as he kept getting CC'd).  Somehow, that was enough to make him indestructible, but it took painfully long to clear even +0x1 missions (especially Malta. Do you know how long it takes to beat a Sapper to death with Brawl? Everything they do has CC on it.)  I don't know if that build would be viable now, nor do I want to attempt finding out.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, ivanhedgehog said:

I did a yin tf tonight. Had the freem kb and the wolf explosion at level 20. That is what is killing you soloing on a non melee toon. you get the boss mob down and insta full health wolf boss and kb..kb..kb..dead. I slot some kb protection asap, but others dont have the resources for that.

This is exactly why I usually recommend running Acrobatics on new toons/accounts until you can afford to start getting IOs together.  So many enemy attacks have KB/KD, and negating 95%+ of that nonsense with a single power pick is very, very worth it.

Edited by Akisan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Akisan said:

This is exactly why I usually recommend running Acrobatics on new toons/accounts until you can afford to start getting IOs together.  So many enemy attacks have KB/KD, and negating 95%+ of that nonsense with a single power pick is very, very worth it.

I often forget that acrobatics exists, to be honest (just because I don't often access the leaping power pool).  That is good advice, though. 👍

6 hours ago, Akisan said:

the point is, they added cc to mobs to increase the challenge. Half the ATs dont even notice the difference because they have built in Cc protection to 95% of it. Not a very good way of increasing challenge. Add melee attacks with large amounts of random to hit would challenge high def players. make them prioritize those mobs. Something outside of the box of just targetting the squishies. No need to nerf across the game, Fire armor has no kb mitigation. they have no problem finding fixes for it. Maybe we need more IO sets with status protection built in. maybe damage, healing or holds sets with a status protection function. Think of all the new builds that would shake up what is run today. A large part of the IO sets only exist for converter bingo, maybe they could be given some love to make them used.

and the changes effect level 20, not 40+

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Microphone 1

Just finished the Nelson arc with a L35 Archery/WP Sent. Those transforming Vamp-Wolf things are tough. A combo of insps, stuns from arrow and cross punch, and some jousting/position and I was able to take them down without much trouble. But they're definitely tougher than in the past. Pretty sure I got teleported next to one of them, which was a shock.

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

18 hours ago, Snarky said:

So… in this haymaker swinging thread you are adding “please nerf tanks, brutes, scrappers, stalkers, and sentinels mez protection.”  So they can have a “challenge?”   

I'm down with that.  You could say I'm knockdown with that.

• Haha 3

Who run Bartertown?

On 7/10/2024 at 5:57 AM, Snarky said:

and….GO

Heh. Indeed.

Of course, seeing as how folks can self-select their level of challenge, via notoriety and self-imposed limitations (EX: no sets, no temp powers, nothing from START vendor, and so on), I feel like this is pretty much covered. I do wish there were more work done on the low end of the spectrum. By that I mean the 10-30 experience.* But that, too, is addressed in a lot of player-created content (that few people play). Fact is, the options are there. The Devs are focusing on where the majority of the population seems to be, which is the higher level content. This is great if your standard approach is to join the uber-build arms race (which seems to be almost mandatory, if you want any sort of satisfactory play at higher levels). That said, there's just tons of content available for those who want a slower approach. As for challenge, this, too, is mostly in the hands of the players.

*though, to be fair, we DO have new content in the 20-30 range, EX's Watkins and the new Striga contacts.

Edited by cranebump
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

On 7/10/2024 at 11:59 AM, Triumphant said:

I often forget that acrobatics exists, to be honest (just because I don't often access the leaping power pool).  That is good advice, though. 👍

Acrobatics hold protection I actually find more useful and underrated.  It is only a tiny amount, but it typically prevents that first hold from mezzing you on a squishie. 

The whole mez system of the game is honestly probably one of its weaker points.   Mez protection should have been a lot more rare, and mez resistance should have been a lot more common (and more powerful).  In other words outright immunity should be rare, but ways to greatly reduce mez time should have been the focus imo.  The current system is much too binary.

However, with the way toggles used to get knocked off instead of just suppressed even from a 1 second mez, it would not have been popular at all to do it that way back in the day.  Nothing was more annoying than having to retoggle 8 different toggles after even a brief mez.  

Even with the detoggle issue fixed though, it isn't like it is going to change at this point.  The riot it would cause...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Riverdusk said:

Acrobatics hold protection I actually find more useful and underrated.  It is only a tiny amount, but it typically prevents that first hold from mezzing you on a squishie. 

Same.  Even at level 50, it will stop nearly all single holds - only Carnie Illusionists reliably get through it with their first hold, but even that's not 100% (I'm pretty sure there's a chance for +Mag on their Holds).  That minor hold protection does way more than most people give it credit for.

11 hours ago, Riverdusk said:

However, with the way toggles used to get knocked off instead of just suppressed even from a 1 second mez, it would not have been popular at all to do it that way back in the day.  Nothing was more annoying than having to retoggle 8 different toggles after even a brief mez.  

That retoggling is the real reason I initially took Acrobatics, way back when. I was running 7 toggles (including all 3 leadership toggles), and retoggling after nearly every fight with certain enemy groups (Malta and Carnies especially) got really old, really fast.  (It didn't help against Malta - they mostly use Stuns, not Holds)

12 hours ago, Riverdusk said:

The whole mez system of the game is honestly probably one of its weaker points.   Mez protection should have been a lot more rare, and mez resistance should have been a lot more common (and more powerful).  In other words outright immunity should be rare, but ways to greatly reduce mez time should have been the focus imo.  The current system is much too binary.

Not sure I agree on the rarity of Mez Protection.  It is far less of a hassle now that toggles don't outright drop, but it's still quite frustrating to be just standing there, unable to act, while enemies shred me.

I'll second the bit about Mez resistance being underpowered though - I've picked up a fair amount of it (about 150% global mez resist), and it... barely makes a difference.  Even at 40% duration, most enemy groups can do significant damage to a mezzed squishy, if they don't kill them outright (resist and defense toggles suppress while mezzed, meaning most toons won't be capped for those few seconds).  Malta's extra dangerous with their Flashbangs - 12 seconds (40% * 30s base stun duration) is easily enough time for a Malta spawn to tear squishier heroes to pieces.

As it stands, the values of mez resistance could be doubled, and that might make enough of a difference (for reference, that'd bump my mez resistance to 300%, lowering durations from 40% to 25%.  Still plenty of time to take significant damage, but not so much that a stray mez is potentially lethal)

And yeah, the current system is probably a bit too binary.  It'd be nice to have some sort of system implemented where characters (players and enemies) lose access to their higher tier powers when they get mezzed, with higher magnitudes of mez locking out progressively lower powers until they're all locked out (fully mezzed and unable to act).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Akisan said:

And yeah, the current system is probably a bit too binary.  It'd be nice to have some sort of system implemented where characters (players and enemies) lose access to their higher tier powers when they get mezzed, with higher magnitudes of mez locking out progressively lower powers until they're all locked out (fully mezzed and unable to act).

Ran my 1st 4 star LGTF last night.  There is a LOT of MEZ in a 4 star.  For those unfamiliar there are no break frees to use and the crowds will mez you in a snap.  There are also bubbles (huge) to avoid as they are mez zones.  But you stay together, run barrier, and 95% time are okay.  

Props to Cygnus and crew.  Got my Bonk!

10 hours ago, Akisan said:

I'll second the bit about Mez resistance being underpowered though - I've picked up a fair amount of it (about 150% global mez resist), and it... barely makes a difference.  Even at 40% duration, most enemy groups can do significant damage to a mezzed squishy, if they don't kill them outright (resist and defense toggles suppress while mezzed, meaning most toons won't be capped for those few seconds).  Malta's extra dangerous with their Flashbangs - 12 seconds (40% * 30s base stun duration) is easily enough time for a Malta spawn to tear squishier heroes to pieces.

As it stands, the values of mez resistance could be doubled, and that might make enough of a difference (for reference, that'd bump my mez resistance to 300%, lowering durations from 40% to 25%.  Still plenty of time to take significant damage, but not so much that a stray mez is potentially lethal)

Yep, the only characters I really notice mez resistance on to any significant degree currently are my radiation emission ones.  Accelerate metabolism gives around 200% mez resistance (varies some with AT),  so it is fairly easy to add that to other bonus and get to that 300% level you mentioned.  Starts to get you to the point where at least some of the mezzes only last a couple of seconds.