Captain America: Brave New World

If I'm being honest, all I really wanted out of the F&WS series was a whole lot of cheeky banter between Stan and Mackie. Got some, but not nearly enough. Still enjoyed the series, save for a few weak moments here and there.

Trailer looks like they're trying to walk in CA:TWS's footsteps, which is great and all, but not enough there in the clip to render judgment. Looks like they mostly painted by numbers on this one, for better or worse. I'll still give it a watch when it hits the D+ though, just for the fun of an action movie diversion.

I've been slowly catching up on the various series, and am still several movies behind the curve though.

Slightly off-topic comment follows:

That said, the Trust A Bro moving company and associated Track-Suit-Gangster-Bros from Hawkeye is one of the funniest gags they've done in quite some time.

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

4 hours ago, InvaderStych said:

If I'm being honest, all I really wanted out of the F&WS series was a whole lot of cheeky banter between Stan and Mackie. Got some, but not nearly enough. Still enjoyed the series, save for a few weak moments here and there.

Trailer looks like they're trying to walk in CA:TWS's footsteps, which is great and all, but not enough there in the clip to render judgment. Looks like they mostly painted by numbers on this one, for better or worse. I'll still give it a watch when it hits the D+ though, just for the fun of an action movie diversion.

I've been slowly catching up on the various series, and am still several movies behind the curve though.

Slightly off-topic comment follows:

Reveal hidden contents

That said, the Trust A Bro moving company and associated Track-Suit-Gangster-Bros from Hawkeye is one of the funniest gags they've done in quite some time.

I thought F&WS was the series with the best action.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, BrandX said:

I thought F&WS was the series with the best action.

Of the series I've seen to date, I can agree with that. WV and Loki weren't really action-oriented, and I liked both of those quite a bit for different reasons. Particularly the art direction in Loki, which reminded me quite a bit of the designs for Clockworks and Summerland in Legion. (this is a very good thing, imo)

Mostly there were a handful of moments of ... not great ... dialog writing in F&WS, imo that dragged it down a bit. Beyond that I did enjoy the watch, even if there wasn't enough of the banter I was hoping for. 😄 

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

On 7/11/2024 at 7:10 PM, Ghost said:

I agree.

Mackie is a good actor.

If the movie is good, people will go see it.  

Eh.

Might be a good movie, but for me at least... Kind of in Marvel burnout still. (Of course, there's always DC... heheh... ha...yeah, no, not with their track record...)

On 7/10/2024 at 9:12 AM, Ghost said:

How do you finish an entire movie and only then realize “we forgot to include the title character”

It's Disney.  Sounds like they re-assigned writers from "The Book of Boba Fett" to this movie.  😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It's nice that they acknowledge the precedent Presidents.

451358959_1627002021204334_5110973159477575937_n.thumb.jpeg.d08bf6300b024ce8f04a7b1419ad5086.jpeg

(Yes I know but it was funny)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

So Harrison Ford couldn't be arsed to grow a mustache for the role?  Or wear a fake one?  Love him but it's sad to see him wasted on this role.  He's getting long in the tooth for these movies.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/11/2024 at 1:55 PM, Excraft said:

The whole thing never should have been greenlit in my opinion.  Again, Anthony Mackie - great guy, talented actor and Falcon is a great supporting character.  Supporting being the important piece.  He isn't a big enough draw to carry a whole film.

Isn't that why Harrison Ford is there? I mean sure, he'll be 83 when the movie is released but his voice probably works fine. 

3 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

It's nice that they acknowledge the precedent Presidents.

451358959_1627002021204334_5110973159477575937_n.thumb.jpeg.d08bf6300b024ce8f04a7b1419ad5086.jpeg

(Yes I know but it was funny)

Clever. 

You have got me wondering, though, if William Sadler's President Ellis will be making an appearance.  He was in multiple works of the 11-year Infinity Saga.  Probably not, at least as president, since we know several years past between Iron Man 3 and Falcon and the Winter Soldier, with five of those in the Snap Blip.  Still, were he to show up in some other political capacity (Senator, Congressman, Supreme Court, Cabinet member, etc.), that would be a nice callback.

41 minutes ago, Techwright said:

Clever. 

You have got me wondering, though, if William Sadler's President Ellis will be making an appearance.  He was in multiple works of the 11-year Infinity Saga.  Probably not, at least as president, since we know several years past between Iron Man 3 and Falcon and the Winter Soldier, with five of those in the Snap Blip.  Still, were he to show up in some other political capacity (Senator, Congressman, Supreme Court, Cabinet member, etc.), that would be a nice callback.

And he may have been snapped and never got to finish his time as President due to it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, ZacKing said:

So Harrison Ford couldn't be arsed to grow a mustache for the role?  Or wear a fake one?  Love him but it's sad to see him wasted on this role.  He's getting long in the tooth for these movies.

I agree!  When they cast Harrison Ford I was not happy with it.  I've felt he's phoned in a lot of his recent roles and this looks like another role he just wouldn't care about.  Not to mention HE'S OLD!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, BrandX said:

I agree!  When they cast Harrison Ford I was not happy with it.  I've felt he's phoned in a lot of his recent roles and this looks like another role he just wouldn't care about.  Not to mention HE'S OLD!

General Thunderbolt Ross is old. The actor before him was 71. I don't know how much they expect to use Red Hulk anyway. Once they get voice work done, Red Hulk is essentially just CGI. If I'm Marvel, I'm cranking out as much voice work as I can from Ford. My guess is Marvel just wants him for the end of the current phase with a possible appearance in a long in the making Hulk film. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

19 hours ago, Krimson said:

Isn't that why Harrison Ford is there? I mean sure, he'll be 83 when the movie is released but his voice probably works fine. 

Harrison Ford isn't what he used to be and just having his name attached to a movie isn't instant box office gold.  See Indiana Jones and The Dial of Destiny, Ender's Game etc.

18 hours ago, BrandX said:

I completely agree.  His last few performances in Star Wars: TFA, Blade Runner 2049, Indiana Jones and such were all phoned in.  He's not the bankable star he used to be 30 years ago. 

On 7/14/2024 at 2:07 AM, Techwright said:

It's Disney.  Sounds like they re-assigned writers from "The Book of Boba Fett" to this movie.  😏

This sounds to me like another instance of Disney hiring "writers" who know nothing of the source material to write the script.  It's not like they haven't done this before.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Excraft said:

Harrison Ford isn't what he used to be and just having his name attached to a movie isn't instant box office gold.  See Indiana Jones and The Dial of Destiny, Ender's Game etc.

I'll probably give it a miss, then. It does seem like they just keep throwing things at the wall to see what sticks.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

General Thunderbolt Ross is old. The actor before him was 71. I don't know how much they expect to use Red Hulk anyway. Once they get voice work done, Red Hulk is essentially just CGI. If I'm Marvel, I'm cranking out as much voice work as I can from Ford. My guess is Marvel just wants him for the end of the current phase with a possible appearance in a long in the making Hulk film. 

I get that, but I would've went with someone closer to 60, so they could possibly use him more.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Krimson said:

I'll probably give it a miss, then. It does seem like they just keep throwing things at the wall to see what sticks.

\I'm not going to go THAT far, and the trailer looks like they're trying to be Winter Soldier 2, so I'm hoping for the best.

7 minutes ago, BrandX said:

I get that, but I would've went with someone closer to 60, so they could possibly use him more.

100% this.  Hollywood has some very talented makeup artists.  I'm not the hater of CGI that others are,  I still shudder at how long we keep Harryhausen stop-motion, but makeup is a practical effect.  Even an actor of 70 might get another 3 or 4 films in covering the role.  Not that I like insidious Ross...

22 minutes ago, Krimson said:

Which is strange.  Even with the hurt to themselves that the MCU team has done this phase, they can still muster just about any person they want: actor, writer, director, producer, etc.  They have a rich published lore from which to work.  There's no reason to be randomly tossing stuff and hoping for the best.

2 minutes ago, Techwright said:

Which is strange.  Even with the hurt to themselves that the MCU team has done this phase, they can still muster just about any person they want: actor, writer, director, producer, etc.  They have a rich published lore from which to work.  There's no reason to be randomly tossing stuff and hoping for the best.

Just because you have Disney money and can afford Harrison Ford doesn't mean you know who your target demographic is and what kind of entertainment they want.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's unfortunate they already have J. K. Simmons doing Spider-Man films as he would be a great Ross. 

Edited by Without_Pause
  • Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

20 hours ago, Excraft said:

This sounds to me like another instance of Disney hiring "writers" who know nothing of the source material to write the script.  It's not like they haven't done this before.

I think this is exactly it.  I guess Disney hasn't learned their lesson yet.  Hiring writers who don't know and therefore don't respect the source material is a recipe for a box office flop.  Paramount does the same thing with Star Trek.  They've notoriously been bringing on writers who never watched a single episode of Star Trek to write for the shows.  It's stupid if you ask me.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, ZacKing said:

I think this is exactly it.  I guess Disney hasn't learned their lesson yet.  Hiring writers who don't know and therefore don't respect the source material is a recipe for a box office flop.  Paramount does the same thing with Star Trek.  They've notoriously been bringing on writers who never watched a single episode of Star Trek to write for the shows.  It's stupid if you ask me.

In Paramount's case I would add: writers who don't even know basics about space or physics.  I'd mention names, but JJ Abrams has already made himself something of a punching bag.

• Like 2

• 1 month later

Some clips and a short scene of Red Hulk at the end of this video celebrating Marvel's 85th anniversary.

Is it just me or is the CGI getting worse and not better?  Can't say this makes me any more interested in seeing CA: BNW.

• Like 1