Suggestion: 256 rgb color

greel70

I have a suggestion for the costume creation. We already have sliders for facial structure. Shouldn't it be possible to have RGB color sliders for the color picker? Maybe include the color block that you see but also include a way for people to input (255,255,255) color?

General layout:

Red slider: Numerical input box 0-255

Green slider: Numerical input box 0-255

Blue slider: Numerical input box 0-255

256 RGB color block with the selected numerical color

It would be nice to be able to have a larger selection of colors. The costume creator one of the best I've seen and it would be awesome to be able to make it better.

My gut reaction is this would be possible. IIRC colors in-game are represented as hex values with alpha. The color-grid thing was probably part of keeping the UI clean. Allowing precise colors shouldn't increase the amount of data required to represent a character. I suppose one reason they limited things was to make it harder to make "naked" characters but I dunno.

Having said that, I don't know if there's some deeper dependency on colors falling into specific values somewhere in the game.

I suppose one reason they limited things was to make it harder to make "naked" characters but I dunno.

If my memory serves correct, they specifically took away several color choices earlier on to prevent just that.

People were making bikini-characters and matching up the bikini color with the skin tone color.

That being said. I think sliders would be cool. Give us sliders for skin tones too!

I suppose one reason they limited things was to make it harder to make "naked" characters but I dunno.

If my memory serves correct, they specifically took away several color choices earlier on to prevent just that.

People were making bikini-characters and matching up the bikini color with the skin tone color.

That being said. I think sliders would be cool. Give us sliders for skin tones too!

It's still possible, with certain skin tones, anyway,  so it's maybe a moot point. I'd like to see better color-matching options myself, to make some of those pesky costume pieces work with each other.

I'm at a loss concerning how much Dev time and work is needed for this.

My guess is the hard part is coming up with the UI and fitting into the costume designer somewhere. Once the game captures the hex code for the color you want, I'm sure it's just text in the database.

I'm at a loss concerning how much Dev time and work is needed for this.

My guess is the hard part is coming up with the UI and fitting into the costume designer somewhere. Once the game captures the hex code for the color you want, I'm sure it's just text in the database.

And it may not work for picking 'any' color, but I remember from the thread on costume pieces that have two colors (typically an interior color) but only have one pickable color that you could save the costume file, edit the second color for that piece, and load the file to set the color for the missing choice. I wonder if the quantization of the colors is a UI artifact, and you could extend the range by editing a costume file to use colors not selectable in the color picker.

I fully agree that allowing every color from #000000 to #FFFFFF would be great. Colors are stored such in costume files and cohdemo, rather than just enums of the valid ones.

For development point of view, I think the most straight forward way would be to bypass the color validation check when importing costumes. I like to be able to pick rgb values from real life outfits and hairs etc.

I don't see a problem with faux nudity from having costume pieces with same colors as skin as genitals aren't shown anyways. 

Perhaps an easy fix is to allow the costume creator to load costume files with customized colors instead of the fixed color ones.  This will not be easy for everyone to use, but that's what player-created forum tutorials are for. :D 

I can edit the color codes directly in the costume file, having done so for many costumes when I played with Titan Icon for the last couple of years, but they will not load onto the live servers except as black.

Did we not have this at one time REALLY early on?

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

I can edit the color codes directly in the costume file, having done so for many costumes when I played with Titan Icon for the last couple of years, but they will not load onto the live servers except as black.

Interesting. That suggests the color limits aren't just a UI thing but are somehow vetted by the game code at runtime.

Interesting. That suggests the color limits aren't just a UI thing but are somehow vetted by the game code at runtime.

You would be amazed by how many decisions were made because Positron was really afraid of CoX being used as a tool for horniness.

"Titan/Bio scrappers are the stealthiest toons in the game."

"How's that possible? They don't have any inherent stealth and you'd never take concealment pool powers on them!"

"You see; they're perfect at stealth because nobody will notice if there's nobody to notice."

Been there done that, recently.

I made a costume for Bubba Burns, son of Enos and Ophelia Burns, my Radiation Melee/Fiery Aura Brute who is a bit of a non-metro male Hillbilly and already featured aspects from the Monstrous Fur costume overlays, not the costume pieces, so I could have him shock my SG Mates when they find him swimming naked in the Cement Pond in the base. I may post redacted photos later.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

You would be amazed by how many decisions were made because Positron was really afraid of CoX being used as a tool for horniness.

I imagine to keep the game rated as T...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting