I don't understand this push to consolidate/eliminate servers - are the more populated servers not busy enough?  Should they be standing-room only?  Do we want to have to sit in a queue just to login to them? 

Edited by biostem
  • Like 1
  • Finland 1

12 minutes ago, biostem said:

I don't understand this push to consolidate/eliminate servers - are the more populated servers not busy enough?  Should they be standing-room only?  Do we want to have to sit in a queue just to login to them? 

There seems to be this belief among some (particularly MMORPG players that started with or after WoW), that "If a server has under 2,500 people on, it isn't a MMORPG."  That's despite the fact that at most only one City of Heroes server back on live had 2,500 people concurrently on (Freedom), and that was only during the first few years of live.  I've seen quite a few posts on the CoH sub-Reddit over the past few years saying things along the lines of, "Homecoming should merge Everlasting, Torchbearer, Indomitable, and Reunion into Excelsior.  Rebirth, Thunderspy, and New Dawn should all shut down and everyone should play on Excelsior!"

It's quite annoying.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Finland 1

1 hour ago, biostem said:

I don't understand this push to consolidate/eliminate servers - are the more populated servers not busy enough?  Should they be standing-room only!?  Do we want to have to sit in a queue just to login to them? 

Show me what the big city looks like!

This is what our big city looks like!

Show me what pah-rah-gonn city looks like!

This is what paragon city looks like!

4a9ae17f26134f1b6b7b52d3793e5a6a.thumb.jpg.f37b2789b7fc1bb4a96cf0cc0e4d693a.jpg

• Confused 4
  • Finland 1

3 hours ago, Jiro Ito said:

Absolutely not.  If I wanted the large server experience, I'd play on a large server.  I know where they are.

This ^

I thought HC had the largest pop. Is there another?

• Confused 1
  • Finland 1

3 minutes ago, BurtHutt said:

Homecoming has the Everlasting, Excelsior, Indomitable, Reunion, and Torchbearer servers. While, yes, HC is referred to as a server when also talking about the others (whose names I can never remember), HC is not a single server we all play on. It is 5 with a 6th on the way.

• Finland 1

4 minutes ago, BurtHutt said:

"Shard?"

Homecoming calls them servers.

image.png.7d680320acf246ad8f1ce2c895193f73.png

• Finland 1

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

1 minute ago, Jiro Ito said:

"Shard?"

Homecoming calls them servers.

image.png.7d680320acf246ad8f1ce2c895193f73.png

They are separate servers. That is why one can be down and the rest be up. And why updates don't all take at the same time for them. Because each server has to be updated separately.

• Finland 1

On 8/5/2024 at 11:15 PM, lordporkbone said:

Just wondering if anyone would be interested in consolidating shards so only the two most popular ones Excelsior and Everlasting remain. Increasing population would be hugely beneficial for being able to complete certain raid type content on a regular basis.

Of course, the sacrifice would likely be toon names but overall the benefits outweigh the sacrifice by several orders of magnitude.

And this is the part where I get a…:

IMG_4952.jpeg

• Finland 1

25 minutes ago, honoroit said:

* Server merge is best wisdom.

* Big City energy

* Many community happy

Just because you keep repeating yourself, doesn't make it true.  (And that video is a total non-sequitur)

Edited by lemming
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Finland 1

1 hour ago, lemming said:

Just because you keep repeating yourself, doesn't make it true.  (And that video is a total non-sequitur)

you're just not down with the whispers of the city like me, that's OK!  I'm here to explain and help new players!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 5
  • Finland 1