Powerset feedback: Angel Summoning

Angel Summoning Power Set (Mastermind)

It is designed to counter the Demon Summoning power set by using fire, energy, and cold damage. The Mastermind summons angelic beings with abilities to both assist allies and hinder enemies. The set combines healing, crowd control, and powerful attacks to weaken and defeat corrupted forces.

Power Name Level Description Effect
Divine Purge 1 A ranged attack that deals light energy damage with a chance to ignite enemies, causing fire DoT. Reduces enemy resistance to energy and cold. Light Energy Damage, Minor Fire DoT, Foe -Res
Summon Cherubs 1 Summon Cherubs that deal energy and fire damage from range, igniting enemies with each attack. Summon Cherubs (Energy & Fire Damage, Fire DoT)
Righteous Strike 2 A close-range attack dealing moderate energy damage with a chance to cause burning and knock down enemies. Moderate Energy Damage, Knockdown, Fire DoT
Blessing of Grace 6 Buffs Henchmen Buff
Divine Cleansing 8 A cone attack deals moderate cold damage with an additional fire burst that stuns enemies. Moderate Cold Damage, Fire Burst, Knockdown
Summon Archangels 12 Summon two powerful Archangels that deal high energy and cold damage, with attacks that have a chance to ignite foes. Summon Archangels (Energy & Cold Damage, Fire DoT)
Holy Fury 18 Temporarily enhances the damage output of your angelic minions, increasing fire damage and their hit accuracy. Pet +Damage, +To Hit (Bonus Fire Damage)
Summon Seraphim 22 Summon a mighty Seraphim dealing high psionic damage, with an aura that heals allies and burns enemies over time. Summon Seraphim (Psionic Damage, AoE Healing, Fire DoT)
Celestial Empowerment 26 Enhances the power and resistance of all summoned angels, making them stronger in combat and more resistant to fire-based attacks.

+Damage, +Resistance (Minions & Allies), Fire Resistance

Silver white space angel ali 9.jpeg

Edited by Wingslord24
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 7

One of the consistent complaints you hear about any "Light Based" powerset that people suggest is "We already have Radiation, Energy, and Fire... how is this different?"

Angel Summoning faces a similar challenge in my mind, although the OP has clearly worked with existing damage types to construct the idea.

However, a solution to this might be to make "Light Based" powers effective at damaging stealth and having a self buffing effect for accuracy. You could also make Light Based Powers multipurpose/wider target options. For instance, with mastermind, there are often "Equip" powers you can't really use on Allies. They are pet "ONLY". It would be nice, even if it's a weak effect, to be able to target allies. You could also make it so some of the Light-based attacks of the Angel Summoning set harm enemies, but buff allies perception and accuracy.

Also, this is kinda inside baseball on Angel ranks... but Archangels rank below Cherubs. Archangels only rank above Angels and both belong to the lowest order of Angels with Principalities at the top of Lower Orders. You have Middle Orders and Higher Orders as well. Cherubs are actually under Seraphim in the Higher Orders, but above Ophanim. This is just going off the Christian classification. If you go off Hebrew, Islam, or Zoroastrianism, none of them really talk about Archangels and have a bunch of different classifications. I understand why you put Cherubs as the main summon, but I would probably not have the player summoning Seraphim (which are crazy powerful and probably too important for such matters.)

You might... want to consider the route City of Heroes took with Demons, making their own classifications up, and then letting the players name them whatever they want. Then people who don't really care about the Angel Ranks or the meanings can arrange it however they like. A vague description is better than a highly descriptive one. You could use the Latin terms for Lower, Middle, and High if you want something fancy looking. (Inferiora, Medius, Summas) This also escapes the religious classifications and let's players do as they please while still satisfying the dominant cultural perspective on Angels for people who would be playing a Western Modern Mythology themed game.

For visual effects, simplest for the Angels to look like standard winged humanoids, but with various MM upgrades, they might get some features that make them look like the more "Bibically Accurate" with the Rings and Eyes around their heads and adding more wing sets.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Very nice. I like it!

You see, contrary to what's been claimed, people on this forum don't automatically disagree with every suggestion that's made. We just don't agree with the ones that we don't like.

• Like 3

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

I have a problem with the proposed set. It only has 1 pet upgrade. Drop Blessing of Grace as a buff and instead make it a pet upgrade, and okay. Blessing of Grace as presented should be in a secondary set anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Wingslord24 said:

As I have heard from others, you say a lot but don’t really comprehend. There are two on there; you just forgot to read.

Holy Fury 18 Temporarily enhances the damage output of your angelic minions, increasing fire damage and their hit accuracy.

Celestial Empowerment 26 Enhances the power and resistance of all summoned angels, making them stronger in combat and more resistant to fire-based attacks.

Holy Fury at T7 functions a lot like Hell on Earth. It is a temporary boost to your pets. The pet upgrades are permanent buffs that add powers to the pets making them more capable.

So the only pet upgrade you have is Celestial Empowerment, and that is only on the hope that it includes added powers for the pets.

Edit: And if it doesn't, but rather works like a support secondary power instead? Then you have no pet upgrade powers and I recommend adding 2 so the set keeps up with other MM primaries.

Edit again: And if your intent is to not have to upgrade your pets in this set like you do other MM primaries? I'm willing to bet that won't happen.

Edited by Rudra
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Wingslord24 said:

As I have heard from others, you say a lot but don’t really comprehend. There are two on there; you just forgot to read.

Holy Fury 18 Temporarily enhances the damage output of your angelic minions, increasing fire damage and their hit accuracy.

There's always a tier 1 upgrade power and a tier 2 upgrade power. Your tier 1 upgrade power, Blessing of Grace, isn't a true henchmen upgrade because you're trying to have it affect allies. MM primaries don't really work that way; you need to remove the allies component and then it would make sense and fit in as an MM primary power and the first tier upgrade.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

1 hour ago, JKCarrier said:

Ok, but only if we also get a "BMX" powerset:

Would they add a vehicle based Archetype to the game? I mean... at the very least they could add in a "Bike Sprint" animation and seperately include a "Bike" weapon for Maces and Titan Weapons that the player could smack enemies with. This could be a BMX Bike or a Motorcycle too. Probably not a Scooter though.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

4 minutes ago, TygerDarkstorm said:

There's always a tier 1 upgrade power and a tier 2 upgrade power. Your tier 1 upgrade power, Blessing of Grace, isn't a true henchmen upgrade because you're trying to have it affect allies. MM primaries don't really work that way; you need to remove the allies component and then it would make sense and fit in as an MM primary power and the first tier upgrade.

Yes, but... considering it's a "Light/Holy" based Mastermind set, maybe this would be the "Exception" that proves the rule. It's a unique feature to the set that makes thematic sense.

3 minutes ago, FDR's Think Tank said:

Yes, but... considering it's a "Light/Holy" based Mastermind set, maybe this would be the "Exception" that proves the rule. It's a unique feature to the set that makes thematic sense.

There's no precedence for it in any MM primary that I can think of. MM's have support secondaries, which is the place for ally affecting powers to go. MM primaries are essentially our "blast" set; those typically lack in ally affecting powers.

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

7 minutes ago, TygerDarkstorm said:

There's no precedence for it in any MM primary that I can think of. MM's have support secondaries, which is the place for ally affecting powers to go. MM primaries are essentially our "blast" set; those typically lack in ally affecting powers.

Well, perhaps a compromise.... An Upgrade on Angel Minions so they have a "Buff" Aura on allies. Would that make more sense to the effect of the Summoning Set?

33 minutes ago, FDR's Think Tank said:

Well, perhaps a compromise.... An Upgrade on Angel Minions so they have a "Buff" Aura on allies. Would that make more sense to the effect of the Summoning Set?

I mean, it's up to the devs, but given the cottage rule and general means of doing things, you're probably not going to see a henchmen casting a power that affects other players. However, they could have a buff that affects all henchmen and their mastermind, which has precedence in both the demons and bots primaries.

Considering blast/damage sets don't typically affect allies, I can't imagine we'll start seeing that with MM's either.

5 hours ago, FDR's Think Tank said:

You could use the Latin terms for Lower, Middle, and High if you want something fancy looking. (Inferiora, Medius, Summas) This also escapes the religious classifications

I don't know how I feel about adding angels to the game, however, this is how I'd prefer it be implemented.  Less religious.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

What this team needs is more Defenders

58 minutes ago, Psyonico said:

I don't know how I feel about adding angels to the game, however, this is how I'd prefer it be implemented.  Less religious.

Yeah, it's weird, I don't think of demons as religious but I guess they are. I guess my brain just turns them into "monsters". 

• Thumbs Up 1

SCRAPPER: Sir Kit Breaker-Elec/Shield *DumDum Pounder-WM/Shield *Snoglobe-Claws/Ice *Ice Flow Joe-Axe/Ice *TANK: Gamma Goon-Rad/Rad *Bernjamin Tanklin-fire/claws *Skullgrin Von Killjoy-Invul/SS *Frozen Snowshoo-Ice/Ice Quarry Goon-Stone/SS *BRUTE: Megahertz Donut-EM/Shield *Ohm Ahgerd Stone/Elec *Shadow Goon-Dark/Dark *Devilaint Le'Z-Rad/Fire *STALKER: Double OHM 7-EM/EA *Sir Kit Interupt-Elec/Shield *TROLLER: Chilly Lilly-Ice/Rad *Chlorophyllis Vance-Plant/Storm *Mechamoo-Elec/Cold *Johnny Burnsalot-Fire/Kin *Countess Gone-Ill/Dark *Lady Gone-Dark/Dark *Calpernia Tomik-Ill/Rad *Porkchop Scallywag-Fire/Nat *Gone Daddy-Plant/Dark *Merrie Melody-Symp/Dark *Toot Sweet-Fire/Dark *Lord Gone-Grav/Dark *Misty Burnsalot-Fire/Storm *Maddie Burnsalot-Fire/Rad *DOM: Scorched Eartha-Earth/Fire *Gazebo Malarkey-Dark/Psi *Clawsin Bloom-Plant/Savage *Diatomaceous Earl-Plant/Thorn *Permafrostasha-Plant/Ice *Corn Cob Earth/Earth *MM: Stupid Robot-Bot/Elec *Dark Leader-Demons/Dark *Silas Greenback-Thugs/Time *FENDER: *Dr. Gone-Dark/Dark *BAG3L-FF/Sonic *BLASTER: PinPointress-Arch/TA *Shimmy Burnsalot-Fire/TA *Lil Beefy-Ice/Fire *H0TT-fire/fire *CORRUPTOR: Shady Burnsalot-Fire/Dark *Kinetic Koala-Ice/Kin *Atmospheric Hazel-Water/Storm *Hami Dum-Seismic/Nature *MiHami Heat-Fire/Nature *SOA *Big Gravy-Crabbermind *Sentinel: NP Seymour-Elec/Regen

3 hours ago, FDR's Think Tank said:

There is nothing wrong with pets having auras. There is nothing wrong with pets having buff powers. The issue was that the proposed set is a MM primary set that has buffs for its powers instead of pet upgrade powers. Not that the pets have buff powers, which is fine. See Robotics for pets with buffs for instance. Buff powers for MMs themselves to use on others belong in their secondary set, the support set, or should only show up in the T7 of their primary. MM primaries have 3 pet powers, 3 MM attacks, 2 pet upgrade powers, and 1 "other" power because the MM primary is about summoning and upgrading pet servants.

(Edit: Though like @TygerDarkstorm said, pets typically only use their buff powers on each other and their summoning MM.)

All I was saying is that the proposed primary needs to have its 2 pet upgrade powers, and those upgrade powers are not going to be support power type powers.

Edited by Rudra

1 hour ago, Psyonico said:

Now I'm thinking of a new Mastermind Primary: Goth Girl Band Summoning.

2024 Sep 16 Mon

Goth Girl Band Summoning

T1	Throw Contract
T2	Call Singers (Lead, Backup, Backup)
T3	Throw Forward
T4	More Cover (Equip)
T5	Throw Snow (Also Energize Band)
T6	Call Guitarists (Lead, Bass)
T7	Call Roadie (Fixes things)
T8	Call Drummer
T9	More Riot (Equip)

Groovy!  😺

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

i love this idea conceptually, and in addition to the structural issues and naming convention details mentioned by others might I suggest not leaning to heavily into the whole "demons harm, angels heal" shtick. abrahamic lore has some very interesting tie ins to this game already (if You Know, You Know) so the addition of angels to counter the influence of the demonic is apt! however, they aren't truly opposites of one another and unfallen angels are still very much capable of violence and death so much so that it could be argued to be their primary purpose before healing the wounded.

and before anybody wonders if an angel set would mesh well on Red Side, i can totally see sime crowley inspired magician binding angelic forces for their own glory...

• Like 2

done with the Moogle "community" here. since they obviously don't care about anything lore wise and poop on people who do.  Moogle backstory guide might be uploaded in a 3rd location when i finish the revision. no, it may not be put on the wiki, and what was there of my first one has been REMOVED! please do not reupload. i'm not giving the people here the benefit of the work just to be pooped on and told "lol, let people play how they want, f you." (you can than xXLimpBizkitFanXx, KupoKaiser, daRealSid, boxdestroyer2002, OwlBoy, BrayCat, ButtStroke420, Spencer Gifts LLC, president obama, the San Antonio police Department, my mom not letting me use the computer room after 9pm, GM_Vietnam, Sharkey, DanceDanceCommunistRevolution, my wife's boyfriend Carl, ChronicIBS, shortstackgoblin, sharif for not liking it, Rusty Shackleford, harshBDSMmaster, AcceptAllCookies, BundleOfSchticks, Stygian Owl, Farticus_Rex, Cockroach Girl, Oranbega_Beggar, The People's Democratic Republic of Glendale, GoDaddydotCom, ClarrisaExplains: it all, My Chemical Gluten Allergy, Square Phoenix, Sharkey ((again)), and the rest for making that very clear.)

3 hours ago, Indystruck said:

I believe Demons give Ember Shields to nearby allies so there is some precedent for that.

Do they? I was under the impression they only shield themselves and their MM. If they do, in fact, shield others, then I retract my previous statements.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Owl Girl said:

and before anybody wonders if an angel set would mesh well on Red Side,

As opposed to demons meshing well blue side? Why even try to differentiate? There is already lore in abrahamic religions about fallen angels. And there is already comic depictions of angels and demons being from opposed realities or basis, light versus dark, but that both are dangerous to humanity. So there is already ample ways to identify angels from a villainous perspective.