Why do I have to 'Bad Touch' the Hazard Zone guards?

Zep

I recall live being the same.

Doesnt seem to matter if my char is tall, short, he, she, or they -or- for that matter if I use tentacles (you dont want to know what the spell check almost did with tentacles), claws, or some other prehensile appendage - if I want in or out of the zone I am required to give that guard a friendly squeeze to get his attention -- anything lower or higher just doesnt get any attention - is guarding the gate really that boring?

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

I recall live being the same.

Doesnt seem to matter if my char is tall, short, he, she, or they -or- for that matter if I use tentacles (you dont want to know what the spell check almost did with tentacles), claws, or some other prehensile appendage - if I want in or out of the zone I am required to give that guard a friendly squeeze to get his attention -- anything lower or higher just doesnt get any attention - is guarding the gate really that boring?

I've always found that to be kinda creepy when I play my Controller, Kellie, who is a 9 year old girl...

I've always found that to be kinda creepy when I play my Controller, Kellie, who is a 9 year old girl...

Trust me, it's just as creepy with Kid Shock, my Elec/SR sentinel .... who is a 14 year old boy.

Or Sokohime, my Beams/Rad blaster ... who is an 11 year old girl, in a hulking suit of power armor.  ("An 11 year old girl in power armor, fighting badguys .... what could possibly go wrong? :D :D )

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

It would be a lot worse if they'd gone my-local-airport and, let's call them 'Travel' 'Security' 'Administration' agents were the ones doing the 'searching'.

Luckily, in this world where superheroes are there to uphold justice, it's the other way around and they only let you pass if your burning-handed lightning-clad Brute gives them a quick feel first to check for contraband.

It's just a relic from the olden days of 2004, and such a low priority that nobody wants to spend the time to replace it.

When CoH came out, the Hazard Zones were deliberately placed behind a 'click' barrier because they were dangerous. Travel powers were gated behind level 14 instead of level 4, which meant you couldn't speed around and avoid packs. The packs were huge and dangerous, and the newbies who wandered in would all too easily become smears on the ground. Forcing players to actually acknowledge that they wanted in by clicking was meant to be a sort of 'Are you sure?' check.

These days we get travel powers early on, we know how to navigate zones, and we're all quite knowledgeable about the game so the Hazard Zones are just not hazardous like they used to be. But even with that being the case, why ask the team to spend time and effort in fixing such a tiny, minor non-issue?

This was never something I thought about until this post...Now I am trying to unthink it every time I zone...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

This was never something I thought about until this post...Now I am trying to unthink it every time I zone...

Um sorry.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

It's just a relic from the olden days of 2004, and such a low priority that nobody wants to spend the time to replace it.

When CoH came out, the Hazard Zones were deliberately placed behind a 'click' barrier because they were dangerous. Travel powers were gated behind level 14 instead of level 4, which meant you couldn't speed around and avoid packs. The packs were huge and dangerous, and the newbies who wandered in would all too easily become smears on the ground. Forcing players to actually acknowledge that they wanted in by clicking was meant to be a sort of 'Are you sure?' check.

These days we get travel powers early on, we know how to navigate zones, and we're all quite knowledgeable about the game so the Hazard Zones are just not hazardous like they used to be. But even with that being the case, why ask the team to spend time and effort in fixing such a tiny, minor non-issue?

I am pretty sure the OP was aware of the above info. I am also pretty sure he was not crying out for it to be fixed RIGHT NOW so much as observing there might be something slightly not PC about the process.

Should the size and exact location of the click box be changed - yes, should it be anything except the lowest possible priority - no.

I am very happy to keep the hazard zone entrances the same as they are now. There is a jenna say qua to many aspects of this world that all add together.

Except, perhaps, for the ERP crowd maybe the door lever in this case could be moved a little higher.

Exactly what Zep says.

If it were up to me?  I'd put in a new "Identity Verification" podion, with a large obvious handprint scanner, right in the middle of the walkway/door, with guards standing to either side of it.

And it'd be that scanner, that you'd click to go through to the next zone.

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Um sorry.

No apology needed, I assumed it wasn’t malicious.  Unless it was really a Nemesis plot to put creepy thoughts in my head.  But that seems pretty low for Nemesis.  Unless that’s what Nemesis wants me to think.  But why would he waste his time to get me to think that?  Wait...what if wasn’t Nemesis...

*does math*

That means Zep is a SEA MONKEY!!!  Wait, I didn’t carry the 4.

Zep is a FAKE NEMESIS!  And it’s all a plot by him!  Orchestrated of course by the real Nemesis.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Um sorry.

No apology needed, I assumed it wasn’t malicious.  Unless it was really a Nemesis plot to put creepy thoughts in my head.  But that seems pretty low for Nemesis.  Unless that’s what Nemesis wants me to think.  But why would he waste his time to get me to think that?  Wait...what if wasn’t Nemesis...

*does math*

That means Zep is a SEA MONKEY!!!  Wait, I didn’t carry the 4.

Zep is a FAKE NEMESIS!  And it’s all a plot by him!  Orchestrated of course by the real Nemesis.

I've been called a navigational menace and a weather problem (Fire/Storm controller as main) so why not a Fake Nemesis too.

Exactly what Zep says.

If it were up to me?  I'd put in a new "Identity Verification" podion, with a large obvious handprint scanner, right in the middle of the walkway/door, with guards standing to either side of it.

And it'd be that scanner, that you'd click to go through to the next zone.

I was thinking something along those lines too.

I dont want the poor guards to end up with blue b**** though.

I've been called a navigational menace and a weather problem (Fire/Storm controller as main) so why not a Fake Nemesis too.

I'm watching you now Zep...always watching...

:)

The 'grope location' on the hazard zone guards seems to be dependent on how far away you are from them. I ran a character into Perez today, and with the character right up against the stop barrier, I was able to click the open space about a foot to the side of the right guard. Other times, clicking the head/chest work; the farther back I am when I click, the vaguer the location is -- at maximum range, I can click anywhere on the figure and have it work. Unfortunately, I tend to zoom in flying, and let the barrier in the back stop me, which puts me in the guards' armpits.

Those guys stand out in the sun a lot - I dont know armpit is an improvement....

Hero: Thanks!  *Pats the soldier on the leg...*

Soldier: Uh...Move along please...

Roflcopter...+1 Inf

Those guys stand out in the sun a lot - I dont know armpit is an improvement....

Unfortunately, it's really hard to fly in at precisely 90° to the 'backstop', so you wind up sliding to one side or the other, and come to a stop mashed up against one or the other of the guards. They seem to be disciplined enough to resist the opportunity to cop a feel, but it's still a bit embarrassing.

Unfortunately, it's really hard to fly in at precisely 90° to the 'backstop', so you wind up sliding to one side or the other, and come to a stop mashed up against one or the other of the guards. They seem to be disciplined enough to resist the opportunity to cop a feel, but it's still a bit embarrassing.

I think it would be pretty fair for them to get to enjoy a handful every now and again.

Note - said handful should be limited to beings of legal age in the Paragon jurisdiction. (Currently 16 in Rhode Island - in our 'real' world)

Change your camera angle.

You're actually clicking on a 2 dimensional invisible panel floating a short way ahead of the guard. If you look at it from a steep angle, the area you can click is smaller based on perspective.

I typically click their heads.

Oh is that what's going on? heh..

I imagine that the case for a lot of these interactive zone-changing NPCs? Like the helipad guards etc. They all seem to have finicky interaction boxes. Heck even the Ticketmaster in AE makes me click on his shoulder most of the time.