Spring Attack

Samyrmancer

Teleport-based initiation is convenient but certainly not necessary.    You can easily just run up and use an AOE attack and/or a Taunt to grab aggro.  It's important to put out some damage as that's part of how threat is calculated, but I wouldn't feel trapped into taking a teleport attack or Teleport if it didn't naturally fit into your build otherwise.

There can be no defense like elaborate courtesy - E.V. Lucas

My AE arcs:

Ex Machina, the story of the Tin Mage Corps.  Arc ID #11781

I tried out spring attack and ended up respecting out of it, it didn’t seem worth the slots for me. I was hoping it would be fun, but the fiddle nature of clicking to teleport vs just moving forward to aggro made it annoying (esp at high levels when groups tend to evaporate).

I have heard people like Shield Charge, and that set as a whole.

I have SA on my MA/SR Scrapper. It's not really any more effective than running up but holy cow it's fun! I'll use it to initiate or even sometimes to just slam down into the gang of MOBs I'm already fighting, just for the knockdown and/or damage.

I have it slotted for range and I used a fast-use keybind similar to how people like to use Teleport.

/bind LSHIFT "powexec_name Spring Attack"

With that, I don't have to go fiddling around to find it. Hitting shift pops up the reticle and then clicking executes it. Fast and easy.

I tried out spring attack and ended up respecting out of it, it didn’t seem worth the slots for me. I was hoping it would be fun, but the fiddle nature of clicking to teleport vs just moving forward to aggro made it annoying (esp at high levels when groups tend to evaporate).

For me, Spring Attack is a nice AoE aggro grabber (doesn't matter because that's not how Gauntlet works), it also provides a way to get through blocked doorways.

Best of all, Spring Attack is AoE knockdown which can save you from alpha spike by disrupting several mobs. I really enjoy it.

You can also make a macro to have it teleport to your TARGET instead of your ground target.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

For me, Spring Attack is a nice AoE aggro grabber (doesn't matter because that's not how Gauntlet works), it also provides a way to get through blocked doorways.

Best of all, Spring Attack is AoE knockdown which can save you from alpha spike by disrupting several mobs. I really enjoy it.

You can also make a macro to have it teleport to your TARGET instead of your ground target.

What the macro look like?

I would be interested in trying it out.

I use Spring Attack less for teleporting into a pack (I still just jump into the middle of them) but use it for the CC (AOE knockdown) adding another AOE and the sheer fun of watching a big guy leap on people.

It does surprisingly good damage for a power pool power and has a ton of utility.

BUT certainly not a "must have". If you aren't feeling it, don't take and don't worry about it.

What the macro look like?

I would be interested in trying it out.

Zolgar gets the credit, I didn't write this:

/macroimage Jump_SpringAttack SpringAttack powexeclocation target Spring Attack

You don't get cool down indication, so put the regular skill next to it on your bar for that.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

Zolgar gets the credit, I didn't write this:

You don't get cool down indication, so put the regular skill next to it on your bar for that.

That's awesome! Much better than mine. I changed it to a bind rather than a macro so I could get the cooldown without needing two buttons.

/bind LSHIFT+e "powexeclocation target Spring Attack"

I used e since it was close to my WASD but put SHIFT in there to help prevent accidental triggering.

Spring Attack is an interesting additional AoE attack.  And a nice Combat Entry power.

In it's default configuration, it has the same problem in tight spaces that other teleport-type powers do.

What I like to call "Stupid Camera Tricks".

You prime the power to get the circular teleport indicator and run forward a bit.  If your perspective changes slightly, the disk flips up onto the ceiling of the hall you're running down just as you click the power.  So you just wasted your combat entry.

There's a workaround bind that basically just teleports you to the position of a targeted enemy.  This makes the power more usable

Still.  The damage output and the ridiculous recharge time combine to make the power eminently skippable.

I'm currently rocking it on Hyperstrike.  But when/if I respec, I'll probably respec out of it unless something changes.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

I use Lightning Rod for the same reasons.  Mostly, as you say, because I think it feels SUPER when you appear in the middle of the group and lots of the bad guys face plant!

Though almost certainly redundant, the temptation of Spring Attack Lightning Rod Shield Charge is a thing...

Great Justice - Invuln/Energy Melee Tank

Ann Atomic - Radiation/Super Strength Tank

Elecutrix - Electric Blast/Super Reflexes Sentinel

Ramayael - Titan Weapons/Bio Scrapper

C'len - Spines/Bio Brute

I've seen Lightning Rod - Shield Charge.  It's a bit nuts, but if nothing else I'm sure they had one of the two ready for opening up every foe group.  I'm not super slotted and for me Lightning Rod isn't necessarily always up for new groups, depending on how fast we're rolling.

I remember thinking at the time that the player almost HAD to have chosen primary/secondary based on having those two powers.  :)

I've seen Lightning Rod - Shield Charge.  It's a bit nuts, but if nothing else I'm sure they had one of the two ready for opening up every foe group.  I'm not super slotted and for me Lightning Rod isn't necessarily always up for new groups, depending on how fast we're rolling.

I remember thinking at the time that the player almost HAD to have chosen primary/secondary based on having those two powers.  :)

It's why I took elec over ss when I rolled my tank again.

What I will say is that with shield you get a buff from each enemy around you so I toon I and get in the middle before I did my shield bash lightning rod

Indomitable server

Atomitor, Tarquin, Atomito, Daltron, Fusebox and more tbc

There's a workaround bind that basically just teleports you to the position of a targeted enemy.  This makes the power more usable

One thing I'm noticing is it gets confused if you target an enemy at a higher elevation, where you can't see the floor from your angle. It seems to jump you to your own location, or the nearest convenient parallel dimension...

One thing I'm noticing is it gets confused if you target an enemy at a higher elevation, where you can't see the floor from your angle. It seems to jump you to your own location, or the nearest convenient parallel dimension...

Yep, I've noticed that too.  Can be a bummer when I forget and try to change elevations.  I've run into issues with elevation changes in between the target and myself as well, where the target is on the same elevation as I, but there's something in between.

Yep, I've noticed that too.  Can be a bummer when I forget and try to change elevations.  I've run into issues with elevation changes in between the target and myself as well, where the target is on the same elevation as I, but there's something in between.

The bind Herotu presents is a great work-around for "Stupid Camera Tricks".  And even keeps the Spring Attack image.

Then take Spring Attack's primary icon off your tray and drop the bind into its' place.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

As an alternative, /bind shift+lbutton "powexecname Spring Attack" is also a quick way to activate the power with where ever you have your mouse located.

That's what I used to use. I often have trouble figuring out the depth/distance and end up landing short. Using the powexeclocation version gets around that particular problem.

The bind Herotu presents is a great work-around for "Stupid Camera Tricks".  And even keeps the Spring Attack image.

Then take Spring Attack's primary icon off your tray and drop the bind into its' place.

This is more or less what I switched to (using a bind instead of a macro) but it still has the problem of not being able to land a hit on someone at a higher elevation. Basically if my game camera can't see the ground the target is standing on, it executes the jump but leaves me where I am. It's still more useful overall than the old way (you can't target someone at a higher elevation with that either).