Why the rush to 50?

BlueOne

If we somehow had 10,000 players on each shard, I think you'd see higher concentrations of folks everywhere.  However, since the most popular shard (Excelsior) is currently peaking at just under 2,000 players at peak time, folks are spread out doing all manner of things, and the lower populated areas reflect those percentages.  With 10 times the players, everything would be 10 times more utilized.  But, we are working with what we have, and doing the best we can with the player-base as it is.  There just aren't a lot of folks out of the average of 1,200-1,500 players on any given server to have the concentrations in all zones we'd like to see.  Perhaps someday though.  More former players are becoming aware of this, and hopefully that influx is faster than those who whose attention span has already compelled them to move on.

What was no more, is REBORN!

This whole nonsense of being an "instant gratification society" is, frankly, tripe.

It always comes across as a very "get off my lawn" type of attitude.

Ageism is really one of the most deep-rooted and terrible -isms, IMO.

People thinking that just because they have been on the planet longer, that what they learned to survive it 'the one true way' and all others that come later 'must' follow the same pattern, is perhaps the biggest roadblock in our social/scientific evolution.

It permeates all groups, government, all of it.

By the time I was in the 7th grade, I had read more (non-fiction) books than anyone who presumed themsleves to be a teacher/mentor to me until I reached college...meanwhile they made 'profit' in many ways off of _my_ data, while telling me I "was too young understand", while I watched them do it...

My entire career has been possible _because_ I knew more about the topics at hand than the 'elders' did, I did the legwork and research _they could not do_...

At 51, this shit _still_ happens, and yet, somehow, I am still the crazy one...

If one cannot deal with change, does not like it, whatever, that's cool....but don't stop the rest of us from realizing things can be better and trying to make them better, so that the _majority_ of humans benefit, not just a few elites.

Does that mean have to have tough, sometimes emotional, knock-down-drag-out discussions?

Yes, yes it does.

To hide from data is aggressive ignorance, I choose to face data that contridicts my outlook and understand it, not just tell someone 'you are too young to understand'.

Just because it worked that way before, does not mean it always has to work that way, or that there is only one way...IMO...

The slow crawl to 50 would be more significant if I hadn't played the game for 8 years already. If I want to rehash doing sub level 50 content, I can pop on lower level teams for that.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

We live in a world of instant gratification.  Order something online, you can usually get it within 48 hours.  Watching a show, you can watch the whole season in a few sittings rather than having to wait every week for a new episode.  Want to find a date?  Swipe right, bang, you're a stud.

The past sounds terrible.

Have you ever heard the expression, "Good things come to those who wait?" 

It's true.

(edited for brevity)

This whole nonsense of being an "instant gratification society" is, frankly, tripe. I am sure people said the same damn nonsense about cars becoming common place, about air travel becoming common place, about phones, about radio, etc. The speed of information, entertainment, travel and, production have all been a major focus in technological advancements for centuries.

Considering my words have now been quoted out of context several times, I need to clarify that that is only part of my post back on page 1, and that it was quoted for humor's sake. 

Your opinion about society is valid.  My point was that players of this game are presented with hundreds of character options, and generally want to see how different archetype and power set combinations play as soon as possible.  The fact that we as a society are growing accustomed to getting what we want/need faster and faster (due to, like you said, technological advancements) was used as a way to illustrate why the OP may feel like there are even more people power leveling to 50 than before.

This whole nonsense of being an "instant gratification society" is, frankly, tripe.

It always comes across as a very "get off my lawn" type of attitude.

Get off my lawn! ;)

Back on topic, making the topic even more meta serves little purpose.

Even more on topic, I rushed my main to fifty so I could equip my alts better. The cash earned at and over fifty is ludicrous. I knew fro  my days on Live that my main could fund any number of alts with pocket change. That has proved to be true. My alts are better equipped than my main evcer as and I am leveling them much more slowly.

Back on topic, making the topic even more meta serves little purpose.

To you...but not to me. :)

The only important thing, IMO, _is_ the meta - the reason behind the question...

The 'mechanical' answers have been given, IMO...

Why the question is asked and the attitudes around that is the more interesting portion at this point, IMO...

:)

Really, there's no reason not to rush to 50 anymore, now that you can go back and reexperience any content you like at any time--especially if you're familiar enough with a given character type that you can play it well at 50.

Perhaps the better question should by why some people would rather dawdle. :)

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

I enjoy the low level game.  Seeing a character gradually increase in capability, getting used to each new power before I get the next, seeing how different enemy groups become more or less dangerous at different levels, squeezing maximum utility out of secondary effects like disorient (and knockback) because I can't rely on pure damage, and adjusting my playstyle to take into account that I'm not (yet) an unstoppable DPS machine - all that is just great to me.

It was the same on live.  At some point around the mid-30s each of my eventual 50s became so honed that they could pretty much trash most missions with little effort.  I'd go out of my way to run missions against Malta and KoA and Carnies because they made more interesting opponents than the Freakshow or Council had become by that point.  That was before the notoriety settings were changed though.

It's the same reason I tend not to slot IOs or do a lot of Orobouros content - I prefer the low to mid level game at its natural level rather than being significantly stronger because I'm exemp'd down.

I imagine most people would no more do all of this than I would step into an AE farm, but so long as noone's forcing me to do what they like I won't try to force them to do what I like.

• Like 1

The game to me is to concept a character, get it to 50 and build it out with IOs, then go back and hand pick the content i would like to experience through TFs/Oro flashbacks/etc.

I see no reason to spend precious free time slogging through endless radio missions or soloing content Ive done a multitude of times previously just to see a gradual progression every 2 levels... id rather burst from the womb fully formed and curbstomp flashback content as an incarnate exemplar.

Because we enjoy it.

And there doesn't need to be any other reason.

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism