Why the rush to 50?

BlueOne

I see lots of invites for farming and other power-leveling.  I don't want to tell anyone else how to have fun, but I'm wondering if I'm missing out on something.

Is their great content when you reach level 50?  Are Hamidon raids a regular thing again?  Is the content notably better than the content when one is Level 20?

Or is it just that people like the rush of their character becoming more powerful?

Now, I can sort of understanding doing Death from Below as a way to rush your character up 10 early levels, if you're leveling yet another alt -- the primary content at those levels you've likely already done with several characters.

But am I missing by not powerleveling my character?  What are other people seeing in powerleveling that I'm missing?

Different strokes.

Some are regaining what they feel they 'lost'.

Others just like to make cool builds that need to be 50 to finish.

PvP players just power through the PvE to get to the part they like.

Some people have done the leveling content enough it's boring to them.

The list goes on and on, there is no one reason other than different people enjoy different things.

I know for myself, I had 6-7 50's on live that I want to have back, but I don't want to grind them all back up to 50 the hard way.

Excelsior - Grey Scale 50+ Emp/Dark Def - Thermal Meltdown 50+ Rad/Fire Brute - Old Growth 50+ Plant Troll - Enrico Fermi 50+ Rad Blaster

When you rush to 50, you miss a ton of lore and fun things to see/hear. But a lot of people consider that a grind and want to bypass it. There is also the inf and reward factors...you get both quickly when being pl'd. Some folks like the feeling of power that 50 brings. Perhaps some do what I did and created a farmer, and had them pl'd so they could provide funds and other things to alts and friends. Mostly, I prefer the grind and teaming to get my levels.

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

I have several alts; the highest level character i have is level 40. For me, I loved 50 Content. I also missed Incarnates so I'm eager to get into that, too.  BUT, I'm really enjoying the leveling process. The nostalgia factor. That music in Port Oakesand Cap and Sharkhead when you get around the Pit. I've dreamed of that music since the game shuttered. I'm loving the leveling experience, thus the alts.

It's been said: diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

TBH, the bigger question for me is, "Why rush to question the way other people play the game?"

Really.

The OP suggests they think they are 'missing something', but IMO this is still just a 'jab' at 'players not playing the way I do'...

I'm actually wondering if I'm missing something.  I'm not powerleveling.  Should I be?

Also, are 50 person attacks on Hamidon a thing again?

Hami has been taken out on a couple HC servers.

There is no 'magic' at 50 as compared to 1-49, it is the same game.

Is this just a case of wondering if the grass is greener because some people say they like white-washing fences?

I'm actually wondering if I'm missing something.  I'm not powerleveling.  Should I be?

Did you not read the responses?

If you think that you are missing something then go ahead and PL a character up to 50 and see.

Or read what people are saying, understand that they are saying "because some people just want to be 50 as quickly as possible" and decide if you are one of those people.

You have the same access to the LFG channel as everyone else.  Are you seeing people calling for Hami raids?

Are people here on the forums posting threads about scheduling or trying to schedule Hami raids?

Yeah they happen but IMHO they aren't that interesting anymore. Power creep means that you spend more time gathering players and prepping for the fight than you do actually fighting. The actual fight is over in a few minutes. So while it's good in terms of rewards/time I don't find it that enjoyable.

Defender Smash!

If you're well familiar with how the game is played, why not rush to 50? Once you've got all your slots available and your build fully arranged, you can slot out with Attuned sets (and/or Boosted purple sets) and have your character all finished and ready to play through any content in the game.

Thanks to Ouroboros, it's not as if you're missing any of that content now. Nearly every bit of earlier content in the game can be replayed that way, with your character better-equipped for it than they would have been when they were at the right level for it thanks to those IO sets and the 5-level Exemplar power differential. About the only thing that can't be done that way are lowbie-zone safeguard missions, but it's usually easy enough to find someone at the right level range to tag along with to get the exploration badges from those.

I don't really grind out the levels to 50 myself through farming (well, mostly--I did farm some with my Fire/Fire Brute, but that was more to familiarize myself with how it worked), but running through the complete course of Task Force Commander task forces at 2XP gets me most of the way there in just a few hours. ITFs, Weekly Strikes, Mothership Raids, and radio mission teams get me the rest of the way in a few hours more. And I don't feel bad about that. I'm a more than competent player, so I'm not going to be a burdensome n00b to anyone with what I don't know--and I can always go back and play through earlier arcs at any time.

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

We live in a world of instant gratification.  Order something online, you can usually get it within 48 hours.  Watching a show, you can watch the whole season in a few sittings rather than having to wait every week for a new episode.  Want to find a date?  Swipe right, bang, you're a stud.  When you present a game with SO MANY different character possibilities, where even 2 characters of the same archetype will play very differently than each other depending on power set choice, many players want the gratification of seeing how that character plays in the quickest way possible.

OR see many of the other responses.  Different playstyles for different players.

So no, there are no regularly scheduled Hamidon raids (to my knowledge), and the writing quality of some of the end-game content is a little better than some content at lower levels, but fewer people want to play "the long game."  I'd say the only thing you are missing by not powerleveling is that you get to see how characters are going to play once they are "tricked out" (have most of the powers, have decent enhancements, etc.) much faster than playing through content at your own level.  Speaking from experience, some powersets play great at lower levels and then don't feel as powerful or as fun at higher levels, while other powersets are kind of low-powered early on but can be devastating at higher levels (Sonic Resonance, for example).  It just comes down to playstyle and doing what you want.

On Excelsior we double tap Hami 5-6 nights a week around 9-10pm EST. Usually take Sundays and Holidays off...usually.

Excelsior - Grey Scale 50+ Emp/Dark Def - Thermal Meltdown 50+ Rad/Fire Brute - Old Growth 50+ Plant Troll - Enrico Fermi 50+ Rad Blaster

On Excelsior we double tap Hami 5-6 nights a week around 9-10pm EST. Usually take Sundays and Holidays off...usually.

Once last week I had to get up and take a call, came back and they were already on the second spawn.

So efficient, haha!

To answer the OP, I need to get to 50 ASAP because:

Accoaldes and purples and so on for PvP;

Hamidon Raids, LRSF, STF (MsLibTF), Dark Astoria;

Incarnate grinding;

Farming for purples;

Being fully slotted and purpled out to mal down for SFs and TFs.

The latter is hugely important, being able to crush content is super fun. Don't get me wrong, I like stopping Troll raves in Skyway as much as the next person, but...

Because I've ALREADY leveled these characters to 50 the normal way, and I'm already leveling four more characters the normal way, and there's only so much stuff to do 1-20 before I want to do something else for a while.

Also, some of my favorite content is at 50.

Because low level content isn't very rewarding. You can't get reward tokens from DFB/DIB/Radio Missions.

Only content that's competitively rewarding at the lower levels are the Task Force Commander TF's, because you need to do them for the accolade anyway and they give reward tokens.

Rushing to 50 opens up a lot of teaming opportunities. Instead of just TFC Accolade TF's, I can also join endgame TF's like STF/ITF/Apex/Tin and Incarnate Trials.

I played the game for years, more alts than I could count. I've run through most of that content a bunch of times, and it's nice to re-run it once or twice to get familiar with it. When I played, there wasn't much of anything in the way of post-50 content. Incarnates were added before I split, but I didn't get time to mess with them.

So for me, it's not recapturing what I had when the game ended. It's doing content that I didn't get to do when the game ended; doing something new and outside the boundaries of my experience. Plus you hit a point where helping people level their alts just is not that rewarding.

I have generally played through the content over and over, I enjoy the stories.  But with between 20 and 30 alts, I definitely get reaching the point where the fastest path to higher levels is desired.  I'm not there yet, though, since coming to Homecoming, though.  Even when I do, though, I mostly only want to rush to 20s-30s.  I find the best content in the game happens there.  I enjoy those stories the most.

I would like a way to exemplar without a low level character, and access the lower level content without Oroborus.  Then I'd have no reason at all maintain lower levels.

Virtue Shard:

Quick Shot Kid

Liberty Vanguard

Gleaming Spark

Shadow Squirrel

Back in the early days of CoH, my buddy hit level 50 for the first time. He grabbed the mission "Arrest the Airplane Attack Commander" from Crimson, and we never did it. There were always better things to do with our 50s than some random Malta mission for Crimson. Seven years later, CoH was shutting down, and we finally did that mission that'd been sitting in his mission list for almost the life of the game. But it turns out that Arrest the Airplane Attack Commander is one of those chain missions where you immediately get another mission after completing it; obviously I was uninterested in some random Malta mission with no particular significance to us, so I said, "Whatever, we'll do it seven years from now." The seven-year anniversary of the shutdown is coming fast, and we gotta get him back to 50 and keep that appointment!

I have 17 characters that range from 1 (waiting for their time), and 50 (with 4 Incarnate powers at T3, and one of them at T4).  The one that actually ended up at L50 was never the one that I intended to be the first.  It just worked out that way.  It took almost 2 months.  I did a lot of the content, but certainly not all of it.  I didn't farm with that character until after I hit 50.  Now that I have one there, who now has sufficient funds to make sure that the rest won't have to struggle for funds, the rest will move steadily towards 50, and get there eventually, enjoying the ride along the way.

So, you can have it both ways.

What was no more, is REBORN!

We live in a world of instant gratification.  Order something online, you can usually get it within 48 hours.  Watching a show, you can watch the whole season in a few sittings rather than having to wait every week for a new episode.  Want to find a date?  Swipe right, bang, you're a stud.

The past sounds terrible.

Because some of the best TFs/Trials are high level?

Because we enjoy being level 50?

Because we can always go back and do anything we missed, exemplared down, with more and better slotted powers?

Because it feels really silly playing someone who is supposed to be an indestructible powerhouse.. that has to be scared of more than 5 basic street thugs attacking them at once?

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.