How often is a "proc per minute" anyway?

For those who don't know, Enhancements occasionally say they'll give an extra effect that activates randomly, sometimes called a proc, and give an example of how often the effect will trigger. When placed into an "Auto" power such as [Stamina] the effect triggers more often than a clicked Power like [Build Up] or [Aim]. The purpose of this thread is to get information about how often these Enhancements really activate. Once confirmed for Homecoming I'm going to include this information in a guide I'm putting together for the "guides" subforum here.

Some basic information I'm looking for:

• Does the Enhancement roll dice to see if the effect will happen or is a timer used?
  • Is the enhanced power being activated what makes these Enhancements roll dice to see if the effect will happen?
  • If I haven't used the enhanced power for a long time is the effect automatic? Many dice rolls in C.o.X. actually use a "weighted" dice roll to eliminate long runs of bad luck. Is the dice roll for these weighted? If so, how?
  • If the Enhancement is in a "Toggle" power does the effect happen in the same way as an "Auto" power, a "Click" power, or something different?
  • Do things like [Haste] affect the rate the Enhancement's effect will happen?
  • If multiple copies of the Enhancement are on the same toon does the effect happen with the same frequency?
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Some Random User said:

For those who don't know, Enhancements occasionally say they'll give an extra effect that activates randomly, sometimes called a proc, and give an example of how often the effect will trigger. When placed into an "Auto" power such as [Stamina] the effect triggers more often than a clicked Power like [Build Up] or [Aim]. The purpose of this thread is to get information about how often these Enhancements really activate. Once confirmed for Homecoming I'm going to include this information in a guide I'm putting together for the "guides" subforum here.

Some basic information I'm looking for:

• Does the Enhancement roll dice to see if the effect will happen or is a timer used?
  • Is the enhanced power being activated what makes these Enhancements roll dice to see if the effect will happen?
  • If I haven't used the enhanced power for a long time is the effect automatic? Many dice rolls in C.o.X. actually use a "weighted" dice roll to eliminate long runs of bad luck. Is the dice roll for these weighted? If so, how?
  • If the Enhancement is in a "Toggle" power does the effect happen in the same way as an "Auto" power, a "Click" power, or something different?
  • Do things like [Haste] affect the rate the Enhancement's effect will happen?
  • If multiple copies of the Enhancement are on the same toon does the effect happen with the same frequency?

1. A proc will have a certain % chance to fire, it's not time-based (though part of what goes into the % calculation is base recharge + activation time and slotted recharge time).

2. Generally speaking, yes, though there are some exceptions.

3. Nope, a given proc slotted into a given power with a given amount of slotted recharge will always have the same % chance to fire regardless of how often that power is used.

4. Toggles and auto powers have different rules than click powers.

5. Recharge buffs (Hasten, Speed Boost, Quickness, etc.) are not factored into the % chance calculation so they will effectively raise your proc rate because you'll be able to use the power in question more often.

6. Each power the proc is slotted in will have its own unique % chance to fire based off the PPM calculation for that type of power.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

9 minutes ago, Sunsette said:

This is all showcased far better than I could manage in this thread by Bopper.

I didn't find that because that wasn't in the "guides" subforum. I've been planning to put together a comprehensive Enhancements guide that would link to other guides and various wiki pages for more info on certain points. His post is exactly what I was looking for regarding some of this information. Thank you.

9 minutes ago, Some Random User said:

Thank you for the other information. Can you elaborate upon #4?

Pulling the information from this Reddit thread.

Probability to fire for a click power = PPM * (MRT + CastTime) / (60 * Area Factor)

Probability to fire for a toggle or auto power = PPM * Activate Period / (60 * Area Factor)

Most toggle powers have an "activate period" of 2 seconds while auto powers have an "activate period" of 10 seconds.

Edited by macskull

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

That is the same formula as in Bopper's thread, FYI -- the two sources agree. It's only a different inasmuch as it ignores recharge even if it is a toggle with a significant recharge period, which makes such toggles the literal worst places to put them in.

Just stating this for clarification, not intended as a criticism of anyone.

Edited by Sunsette

irregulars book logo noby white.png

Sundered Marches: The Website | The Official Soundtrack!

A guide would be good to have. Feel free to pull from all the work and resources on the forums, reddit, etc. If you need help with info, feel free to reach out. This is a tough topic to cover as it literally was not implemented on live as it exists today (it lived on Beta shortly before shutdown), so all the research is new. If you are good at reading source code and navigating that world, you could do that to get the exact answers you're looking for. Anyways, good luck. If you want more info on PPM or Proc, I recommend doing an advanced search (titles only) on these forums. About 20 topics come up, but a few are relevant to what you're looking for.

• Like 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

I'm seeing a need to build a comprehensive reference for Homecoming's differences from other variations.

There is no "easy in" for a returning or new-to-old-school-M.M.O.s player. The current Enhancement system is a big part of the confusion. You can intuitively see that player toons are far more capable than spawns of enemies, and part of that is the benefits Enhancements bestow.

The biggest red flag I've seen so far was the new slash commands not having clear documentation. That means some players have tools and others don't. That's a big problem for long-term health of the game.

As for P.P.M., we have had a burst of the coders showing more responsiveness to suggestions and requests, so I'd like to see if they respond to some of the suggestions in the Suggestions & Feedback subforum.

Are you saying there have been suggestions on PPM Procs in the Suggestion and Feedback section that are getting coder responses? Can you provide a link?

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn